stumbled on some old gold prospecting records

hall

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres mention of a resident of an area where a resident produced 3 samples that had from 20 to 50 ounces per long ton. then follows up by saying more tests were done and it produced negative results.

i don't know a lot about gold prospecting but 20 to 50 ounces per long ton seems pretty unrealistic to me. opinions? the document is from the 30s.

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may shock you, but gold miners had their "used car salesmen" too - nowadays they call it spin. It was very easy to report highgrade gold occurances to
the press, and the news would sensationalize it. That's how many investors would get bilked out of life savings. and the beat goes on....it comes under "figures
don't lie, but liars do figures":unhappysmiley: Take a look at Takoda's posts of gold specimen's - if you did a simple math formula, they would be worth
40-50 ozs. per ton - only problem is, there's no tons.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Colorado surface ores can be pretty rich. The material is already oxidized. Then as you go deeper the ore is refractory and harder to extract the precious metals. Also the veins can pinch out,in other words as you go deeper, the vein gets smaller until there is no more vein. But I have read some old records done by the government of 700 oz silver per ton ore. I have found some small gold specimens that were so rich that a pickup truck load would make me a millionaire. I just haven't found any tons yet...

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When the old timer miner brought in his ore for assay he did not bring in a long ton to be tested. He most likely brought in a 50 pound sample. The assayer simply crushed is and smelted out the gold and multiplied that value by 44.8 to arrive at how much gold a longton of THAT material would have. If that miner hand picked the high grade pieces of ore to make that sample then the assay is going to be very impressive

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samples for a ACCURATE assay must be random samples and NOT a concentrated sample. Raw is imperative to get to the truth UNLESS your a scammer. John

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Twenty different assays,twenty different results.If your not getting free gold in your samples your basically wasting your time and money..especially for assays.Do the field work and take your own samples.Bust your ass and you might get lucky.

OP
OP
hall

hall

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i was thinking it was somebody making the numbers work for them. i have no plans on prospecting the area just thought i was kinda odd to see such huge numbers.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Twenty different assays,twenty different results.If your not getting free gold in your samples your basically wasting your time and money..especially for assays.Do the field work and take your own samples.Bust your ass and you might get lucky.

That's my thinking Dave,
if you cant see it in the pan its worthless, assays are for when you are big mining and when one needs to know what type of values you are recovering, when you are mining veins, you can encounter many different minerals, it can have change in values type a quantity in just a few feet, this is where one needs an assay without one we could end up throwing away good values worth $$$$.
But that assay crap is for the company miners ! I just use a pan never failed to give me an accurate report !!!
GT.................

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
One should remember that in mining/sampling veins that the gold(if any) goes in and out in a vein.You may have areas of enrichments(ore shoots) and then dead zones.This is why the small time prospector or recreational prospector should take proper samples and follow up on any color at all in your pan.If you've read the history of the area and know it's only known for fine gold and no pockets..well you know what to expect.Checking your fine gold in a pan with a loupe often gives you a great clue in areas known for higrade species.If even the smallest color has a bit of quartz attached you can be hopefull for a pocket or at the least some nice species of size.But this is not a hard fast fact or predictor..just a good sign of encouragement.Remember the old miners sayings..one never knows what's beyond the point of a pick...and your one foot from a million and a million feet from a dollar.But if you persist and persist eventually you'll find some nice species,somewhere.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

:headbang:

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's my thinking Dave,
if you cant see it in the pan its worthless, assays are for when you are big mining and when one needs to know what type of values you are recovering, when you are mining veins, you can encounter many different minerals, it can have change in values type a quantity in just a few feet, this is where one needs an assay without one we could end up throwing away good values worth $$$$.
But that assay crap is for the company miners ! I just use a pan never failed to give me an accurate report !!!
GT.................

:headbang:

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It may shock you, but gold miners had their "used car salesmen" too - nowadays they call it spin. It was very easy to report highgrade gold occurances to
the press, and the news would sensationalize it. That's how many investors would get bilked out of life savings. and the beat goes on....it comes under "figures
don't lie, but liars do figures":unhappysmiley: Take a look at Takoda's posts of gold specimen's - if you did a simple math formula, they would be worth
40-50 ozs. per ton - only problem is, there's no tons.

Hell Fullpan ....... I don't even think in terms of tons and such . A one man operation has to effort quality of quantity .
Got to be meticulous at ALL times . A man who gets bored or lackadaisical in his efforts is a man who is gona miss something
when it matters .

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
case and point. "There is no gold in Texas" but if you saw my post on "Newbie finds gold with all your help" you will see that I found gold. Now if I had said I found this all over and needed investors, I probably would have had a line of people wanting to throw money at me. But the fact was I searched at least 75 to 100 spots before I found a rich little crevice that held gold. This was up river over 1/2 mile from where I started. I wish I lived in some of the gold bearing states that offered gold on each outing but I will be lucky to find one more spot this summer that holds color. But I will be looking cause fact is there is gold in Texas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread