[PIC] 5-Gallon bucket of concentrate. How do I separate the gold?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree20Likes
  • 8 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 2 Post By goldenmojo
  • 1 Post By gunflintguy
  • 3 Post By MadJack_ME
  • 2 Post By ALewis
  • 2 Post By Portadrillmini
  • 2 Post By B H Prospector

Thread: [PIC] 5-Gallon bucket of concentrate. How do I separate the gold?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2013
    Houston, Tx
    None yet. just getting started and still researching what tools will suit me.
    Prospecting

[PIC] 5-Gallon bucket of concentrate. How do I separate the gold?

I'm a gpaa member, but I'm a total greenhorn. I took the family gold prospecting on a claim in Colorado last week. Dug up some gravel, classified it on site with 1/4", 1/12", and 1/30" classifiers. Then we loaded up a 5-gallon bucket of concentrate and brought it back home to Texas to pan. It contains a lot of flakes and fine gold, but I can't separate it from the sand.

I've looked on youtube for videos of equipment to buy that'll help and I've looked thru all the ads in the gpaa magazine, but I'm not sure what to buy or if there's a process I'm missing.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a picture here to see if anyone could take a look at what we've got and offer a suggestion to hep us gather the gold.

The photo may not show the sparkle very well, but thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	993782  

us
    Sep 2011
    orange county, ca
    16 times
    I use a desert fox auto panner when I have a large quantity like that --

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11094 times
    Prospecting
    Put a couple tablespoons worth in a pan at a time and do all the stuff you see in the GPAA instructional panningvideo. That material is JUST PERFECT to learn to pan! Pan into a wash tub so you can scoop up the material and do it again until you get your panning skills honed. You do not need more gear, just some practice. Be patient with yourself and you'll get better. Learning to pan is soooo key to this stuff.

PS glad you got to visit Colorado. We have a lot of gold gettin' spots here. Feel free to ask for suggestions the next time you're headed this way.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4745 times
    Prospecting
    Get a tub of water and pan the light stuff off. As soon as you get rid of all the light stuff you will have black sand and gold left in your pan. Remove the gold with a snuffer bottle. If you are having trouble with panning look on you tube for how to pan. It is the first step you must learn to get gold.
    ALewis and Aufisher like this.

Oct 2013
    Northern Mn
    Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I started about 6 months ago, so I am still learning. Follow Kevin and goldenmojo's comments. Learn to pan. Once I figured how to pan, things got easier. Goldhog's you tube panning video's at Gold Hog - YouTube really helped me out. He has a lot of great video's, well produced and informative. He's also a forum sponsor. He's got 4 really good panning video's, 3 posted to his page a year ago and one posted 9 months ago. Check those out.

Ask questions as you go along, the people here are great and always willing to help and welcome to TNET
    Oregon Viking likes this.

Master Maine Guide-Miner-A$$h*le extrordinairre

Apr 2013
    Maine, mostly
    Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
    228 times
    Did you run any of this through a sluice? Most dirt will have 'sparlkes', but any gold should be a butter-color and remain so in the sun AND shade.
    Panning is the key, the time to learn is now. As said above, pan into a wash tub or tote full of water. And collect any gold in a snuffer bottle.

Feb 2013
    249 times
    If the sparkles stay with the sand it might be called pyrite. Fools gold etc. Any real gold should be below the material after a vigorous shaking of the pan.

Learn to pan and have a great time

Aug 2013
    East Bay, Northern Ca
    568 times
    save your $$ and Pan it....little bits at a time
    Aufisher and Lookin4goaled like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    Houston, Tx
    None yet. just getting started and still researching what tools will suit me.
    Prospecting
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely watch the videos suggested and work on my panning. I'll post a picture of my results asap. Either way, we had a great time on the river! Everything about the experience was enjoyable!

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    12234 times
    Learning to pan is a good advice.
    Also, these Prospectors Choice Clean Up Sluice
    I use this at home and LOVE it!
    I like it better then a miller table, It;s a bit faster too.
    Last edited by Oregon Viking; May 13, 2014 at 07:25 PM.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1286 times
    Prospecting
    Yes, learn to pan. Also a Miller table will help separate the black sands from the fine gold much faster than panning. There are some very good links on here about Miller tables, how to build, how to use, etc.

us
    www.GoldDriller.Rocks

May 2013
    Blairsville, Ga 30512
    MineLab Eureka Gold - 15" RockCrusher- PORTADRILLMINI Gold Driller Auger sampler Unit -Gold Lab Clean Gold Concentrator-5" Dredge-Keen A52 Sluice- BlueBowl Cons clean-up - Microwave Gold Kiln
    33 times
    Prospecting
    classify , roast , then pan cons. put cons under a microscope , smelt cons , save , melt into dore button Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400mesh.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	994378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	994379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOLD BEADS.JPG 
Views:	340 
Size:	513.5 KB 
ID:	994380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G728.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	994381
    ALewis and GoldpannerDave like this.
    www.GoldDriller.Rocks www.GoldDriller.Supplies
    Allan Geldean -President / Inventor of the PORTADRILLMINI Drill Unit
    A & D Drilling Supply Corporation / PORTADRILLMINI
    305-345-7068
    allan@portadrillmini.com
    “In some places, and in some cases , Water , … is more valuable than Fuel.”

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    842 times
    Hey guys you forgot to tell servenomore the secret ingredient for panning. A few drops of jet dry in the panning tub water. Don't want his gold floatin' away do we? Oh an d welcome to the forum sevrenomore.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector
    gunflintguy and ALewis like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links