Found ancient river channel :)

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So guys I found this ancient river channel...well what I think is one.

IMG_20140511_153700.jpg

Knowing that ancient river channels can contain massive gold deposits, I tried to dig some of the gravel but it was rock hard.
I ended up just taking some of the loose gravel but only about 1/3 of a bucket.

I didn't classify on site and ran the gravel today after classifying down to -30
This is what I recovered... some Gold, Silver and mercury.
IMG_20140512_191123.jpg

I think it's good considering the amount of material.
I'm going to go back up there and bring back 5 classified buckets to run. Not going to be the best sample.
If it's good then I will need to figure out the path of the channel and start claiming up land like crazy!
I'll also need to figure out a water source...
And most importantly...Funding!!!
It sucks to be poor.

Upvote 0

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remnants of ancient river/lake/sea gravel deposits are often recognized as small localized deposits. One would have to understand the vast amount of "geologic" events that molded the earths surface t6o understand the process and final outcome we see today. The difficult part is determining the "remnant" aspect of such localized deposits. There are a number of ways to possibly identify the deposit. One would be to research geologic structural mapping of the area that may have been done. The other is to physically do more field work (observation) over a larger area. The difficult part will be a result of not having other such road cuts. In that case one will need to identify the gravels that make up the deposit and see if individual loose rocks are scattered on the surface of the geographical area being observed.

Sorry to hear about your health issue. My father successfully fought it for many many years. He pioneered a method of treatment (guiny pig) of a treatment that is used today.

Best to you,

Bejay

If the deposit has no gold values then the effort would simply be done to learn some "geology".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread