Prospecting a Lifestyle Not a JOB/HOBBY

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the days are still passing. Not much excitement my way. Just enjoying the life.. A lot of people just don't get it!! I mean what small scale prospecting means to me and some others. It's an Lifestyle. We take a lot of pride in our independence. We have no bosses no set hours no co workers to complain about. Their is truly a real freedom in being independent. Anyway I suppose some people misconstrue my thoughts on Recreational mining. And no doubt I can present myself poorly at times. oh well.. Anyway I and others find it hard to believe that the Lawyers of these clubs are working for the Small scale miners interests. Lots of people every year wish to make a change in their life and take of the Small scale mining lifestyle and the simple truth is the clubs have turned an actual job in to a recreational past time. No doubt it is a whole lot more profitable and consistant and hella easyier for these clubs to "Dude Ranch" out their mining claims then work them themselves! Their are a lot of different ways one can get gold but no compare to the lifestyle of the small scale prospector. I guess I could go operate some heavy machinery and work on a gold claim... OH the HORROR I would have a boss a set schedule...Probaley an hourly wage too.. I would no longer be self sufficient independent.. The differences between Small Scale mining and Recreational mining and Larger mining companies is considerable. Anyway I have been reading some good threads on here in regards to mining law an no doubt the information is invaluable but on the other hand I often wonder what good are these Laws?The majority of us don't have the time, resources or money to hassle with the blatent disregard our own Government of our own Laws. And unfortunately the same people who are supposedly fighting the good fight are no doubt making a good wage doing it. It is Funny but even these Non Profit Organization seem to be doing well. Anyway
My trip to Alaska is still a go but the time has changed and the nature of the trip as well.. We plan on going this winter and just for the sights Gold will not be an priority more the nature and awesomeness of the area.. The reason for this is mainly that California is going to be the place to be this year. The drought is a blessing and I must make use of it. Also I couldn't stomach the idea of paying someone to work their claim. This year will be great. Anyway I am headed back out this evening for a few days or so. I wish I was able to Keep all my gold but bills must be paid.. Anyway I hope everyone is getting some good gold and having an awesome year.......

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love your comment about clubs running their claims like a dude ranch, that is so true and so destructive to our standing in the eyes of the regulators and even law makers.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Vic... I can agree with much of what you said. I've always enjoyed being my own boss, setting my own hours etc etc etc. I even agree with the "Dude Ranch" comment.

I have to disagree with you on your comments about miners learning the laws being a waste of time. As long as miners don't take the time to learn the laws and the rights that they protect, the easier it's going to be for others to work against us to take our right to mine in a legal manner away from us. It's unfortunate that there are so many different groups that seem to be aligned against us. Many of these groups have deep pockets and can mount a very damaging campaign against us with their "Bought Science", ad campaigns and court cases.

Every miner in this country should have at least a basic understanding of the mining laws in general and a very specific understanding of the laws that cover the area they live in as they vary from state to state. Without an understanding of the laws, how is a miner to know when that USFS or BLM agent is in the wrong when they try to shut his operation down on a whim? It is an unfortunate truth that some agents for the USFS and BLM have a "God Complex" and think that the forests and public lands are theirs to do with as they will. The same goes for many of the "Green Groups". With all of these people lined up against us, we HAVE to know what the laws are if for no other reason than to be able to protect ourselves from their attacks and to be able to protect our rights to mine public lands in a lawful manner.

An understanding of the laws could very well keep you from being sited in the first place. Especially if the person trying to site you is overstepping their authority and or area of control.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent point about being literate to the law. This forum has been areal aid to me on the law.

...and by site you mean cite as in a citation.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Id rather just go mining, life is way to short to be tied down reading a bunch of law stuff you may never have to even use, when mining time is so valuable anyways why bother when its needed hire a professional.

Sure wish I had all that water there marshal, make life easy for a change, we might be up that way in a month or so maybe we can get together you can show us a spot ?

Get gold.
GT...............

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the correction Kev. I've been fighting the creeping crud this week and my mind and body have been paying the price. I've been trying to shake it so I can get out to the claim next week.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the correction Kev. I've been fighting the creeping crud this week and my mind and body have been paying the price. I've been trying to shake it so I can get out to the claim next week.
:-D hope you bounce back quickly and come home with some good gold to show for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread