Is this a good spot? (pics included)

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This spot seems to be similar to areas ive seen other people say are good areas. But i spent a good 4 hours digging around and testing with pans coming up empty. So since i was running out of time i grabbed 5 buckets real quick to throw into my BGT, ended up finding 4 pieces, small, but coarse and rounded, not flat. Is this spot worth continuing to work in the forums opinion? it just looks like such a perfect spot, but then again i could be wrong, thanks in advance
SC1.jpg SC2.jpg SC3.jpg SC5.jpg SC4.jpg

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys will rib you any chance they get....Yes, the spot looks good, I've seen lots of good spots in the middle of non-gold areas though. You have found some color and havn't located any streaks of concentrations. You have sampled...and as pointed out you can sample "short" of discovering....the notion that all you have to do is sample a spot to find the pockets is just TOM FOOLERY:tongue3:. You say there is a claim owner?????? there are certain things you should focus on... Who dug this claim previously?????? when? where ???why??? If you can find out, why did they stop??? The war???? or is it a 1980's Knee jerk I'm gonna be rich claim? That just gets poked at. If you are in a historically producing district. Find out info on the regional digs. Just because that material looks like its been in the water doesn't mean so. Especially in an area that gets and holds snow. If it is an old channel there is some bedrock somewhere. Do you know of any in the area that is exposed? Look for gravel near it if its easier to sample. I an area like tha,t with so much material I wouldn't consider anything under 20 buckets in one area a sample. Good Luck.....Stay put a little longer...but, keep that ear to the ground:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may be no fine gold, maybe it's scattered chunky gold. Try a Metal detector that's designed for gold and see if you find anything. Could be bigger gold and more spread out type deposit.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think it is "riverbed" per se but some of the material probably has been eroded from one. I think the indicators of an ancient riverbed consist of more closely compacted cobble and maybe with some natural cementation, especially of gravel and sands, having taken place. Have you looked up slope or even laterally from your site? There could be a ravine that cross cuts this hillside that may be more productive. It might even be worth your while to explore the opposite side of the canyon for the source especially if it is a narrow one.

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you need to dig further into the sample hole in pict 3:thumbsup: I thought it was all the same sample, but looking close I see you've got a few different holes. Try to open up the holes with more natural river gravel and get a good look at what's under there. It does look like there are tailings and a rock pile to the right. To the left appears to be (maybe) where they were digging:dontknow:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone always says that. ive tried digging down to bedrock before to no success. Would there be any way to tell how deep bedrock is, or is that a total crapshoot?

Tony-Beets.jpg
Drill!

Or sans drill, dig dig dig

Think like gold. Heavy. Lazy. Easiest path down.
Are you in the lowest possible point if water is / was flowing? any obvious old water drops?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do move on, take a picture of the place so that you can be reminded of how good it was'nt. Or was?

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont own a metal detector right now and unfortunately dont have the funds to buy one for the foreseeable future, which really sucks. Ive yet to find any real river gravel or much in the way of sands in the soil just yet. Ive got no problem just dedicating a day to dig a hole as deep as possible to try and find gravels and bedrock, i just wanted to see if that was necessary or if there were tricks/sources to knowing the depth to bedrock. Sounds like its a total guessing game trying to figure that out.

Edit: Another piece of additional information is this area holds 3 hard rock mines, 1 active and two past producers. I dont know much at all about these types of mines. Would it cause the gold to be deposited in areas other than a stream bed/ancient stream bed?

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Huelten,
Forget all that stuff. You have water and a sluice. (In fact a BGT) MOVE SOME MORE DIRT. Use your best guess where the granules from your first trip came from and find some more. I would love to find some "not flat" pieces.

It doesn't suck that you haven't got a MD. :censored: You're not in the desert. Use the tools you have.

I see some boulders in that bank. How'd they get there? If you can't tell it was moving water you may be in tailings. Who pulled out and cleaned all those rocks? When? The old buried tailings may have decent values. those recently cleaned rocks, not so much. Find some river deposited rocks the size of a watermelon or better in a pay layer.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still on the same claim & are you east of the road & to the West of the creek? If I am looking at the same spot it looks as though the river makes a slight bend to the East just past the area I am looking at. Have you looked for the same type of material on the other side of the river?

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog. This is the same claim and the material is similar on the opposite side just not as exposed, not a ton of river rock per se but a ton of rock in general. This area is really puzzling me

spot.png

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jog. This is the same claim and the material is similar on the opposite side just not as exposed, not a ton of river rock per se but a ton of rock in general. This area is really puzzling me

View attachment 995282
What about the area not in the circle? Where the trail ends or crosses what looks lkie creekbed? are those bushes that start in the circle and continue down and left willows or another water liking plant following the creekbed or edge of it? That could indicate shallow bedrock. Is that even a creekbed? Or just a gulch? either way its an eroded area? whats on the hillside above your circle any outcroppings?

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a thought, was the material your looking at pushed down from a non gold bearing stream "A" and shoved up the bank on the far side of the gold bearing stream, does the rock and gravel that your testing end where the to draws come together "B" on the far side? if so it may have all washed out of "A" creek into "B" creek and may be non gold bearing gravel.

Attachments

• Nick #3.jpg
    Nick #3.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 91

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if your only getting 5 flakes in 25 gallons its just a not good enough spot

if bedrock there was only like 5 ft down i wold say dig but i'm assuming it is'nt

there's gold there but its just not enough to be worth your time

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Huelten, I stopped on the way out from the the mountains
the other day and took a couple pics for ya. This is the type
of thing I look for when prospecting slide areas:

Longhorn Bar 051214 010.jpg

Longhorn Bar 051214 009.jpg

Notice all that rounded river rock?

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog: Ya know now that i think about it i guarantee that you are 100% right. Because according to the claim boundaries which the claim owner sent me that whole area which would be creek B is marked as private. I was also thinking those rocks could be piles brought out of those hard rock mines? I have no idea how they ran the old hard rock mines so thats total guess work on my part. I just know that the rocks are not smooth and gravely, there rough and almost look busted apart and broken.

Dizzy Digger: Thanks for the pic! Im not sure if you can tell from the pics or not but my rocks do not look much like that, their much more rough and jagged. Hopefully i come across something like your pic my next trip out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions