Upvote 0

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they force everyone to re-register at the new site? I tried to log in to make sure my personal info wasnt available to the world and it wouldn't let me log in.

They treat you like you never existed before.. You are now a newbie.. I don't see how anyone could trust them to protect your privacy... everything now is about the money... not that money is a bad thing, but they are clueless regarding customer service and respecting their seasoned members...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another one for you. The guy in charge of dealing with the clubs is an idiot. Boo Coo's family showed up at the Vegas show and he wanted to charge them admission! Our club rep told him he would have to go thru him before they were charged.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did they force everyone to re-register at the new site? I tried to log in to make sure my personal info wasnt available to the world and it wouldn't let me log in.

I think GPAA/LDMA followed the lead of our government health care web site. Both want all your personal info and can't seem to work out how to get a web site to work....but they have ALL your personal information.

Bejay

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think GPAA/LDMA followed the lead of our government health care web site. Both want all your personal info and can't seem to work out how to get a web site to work....but they have ALL your personal information.

Bejay

Well, not mine. Just like the obamacare website, I refuse to sign up.

darrbaby

May 22, 2014
Mormonville, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all..... Stopped in at the gpaa site... What a shock had not been there in a year due to life and found out they wanted me to re register so they can put my info on my posts? That's not to cool at all. Besides here where did everyone go as it seemed real quiet there... Think I will poke around here for a while and see how it fits! :thumbsup:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA has been the hard rock corner stone of the small scale miner for decades but now that foundation is showing serious cracks. Will be interesting to see what they've become in 5 or 10 years.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA has been the hard rock corner stone of the small scale miner for decades but now that foundation is showing serious cracks. Will be interesting to see what they've become in 5 or 10 years.
Um, no, sorry but they really haven't. They have made a lot of money by setting up dude ranch style prospecting some of which has done real damage to our reputation, standing and access to ground. Have they also done some good? Sure back in the day, but not in years, not really. Well, ok, they've continued to introduce more newbies to the field and that's mostly all good. I certainly do the same at a personal level. Still, I've watched many experienced small scale miners get disgusted and fall away from the org in recent years, this latest set of changes just adds to it frankly.

My advice continues to be "join a local independent club and support your local mining shop as much as you can".

Proud member of the Denver Mining Club, Gold Prospectors of the Rockies, Gold Unlimited and High Plains Prospectors...not that I get to every meeting, not even close!

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I joined the GPAA a bit more than a year ago, and while down
in Calif. visiting with Ken we worked a couple of the GPAA claims
down there, and came up with little more than a few specks of
color. One of the claims that we visited was in the claim guide,
but the area had been taken over by a Calif. State Park. Thanks
to the warden for letting us know before we started to dig, otherwise
it might have been an expensive ticket!

GPAA updated their claim guide by including info in the bi-monthly
paper, but there were no updates included when Ken and I were sent
our new member packets.

As for sites, well, I tend to stick to one good site, and T-Net being
the best there is, I never had any reason to venture over to the
GPAA site. Did look at it a couple times, and never liked the layout
and registration req.

GPAA was great at marketing themselves, and even though they often
got a bit corny, I enjoyed Tom's video's on Gold Fever...there was always
something I learned from them.

Legislatively, I don't know if GPAA ever did much, or not, but of all the
groups out there they should have been the leader of the pack when it
came to fighting for our rights.

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
During the maine dredge fight i contacted brad jones and told him the stiuation, said we could use professional representation, just like trout unlimited had...we dont do that, its up to you was his response,,,then i read the write up they did in the mining gazzett and saw how they twisted me words and left out 90 present of what i told the reporter,,,,cant wait for my membership to expire.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only legal dept. they have is to cover their own butts on the business end. I feel like once they had everyone buying into their Alaska adventures and funding their fun....they lost all of the "buzzard's" vision and integrity. I joined once and let it go years ago. I always looked at it like a magazine subscription and cheap access to nationwide claims. I'm going to Yellowstone this summer and considered joining just for claim access along the way since I don't know any one along the route.I've read that they were involved in the San-berdoo case but, have seen very little proof of that. the website and magazine always boasts about the fight yet there is no donation or legal fund or interface to deal with such situations. All marketing. I hope the new owner is way different.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not. If anything he's worse. He likes to go to Vegas and gamble. He's hired his buddies to work for him, mostly people who had no idea you could prospect for gold when they started. He is Tom's stepson. Tom owed his grandfather money so as payback he was made President of the GPAA and LDMA. Now he owns it. I seriously doubt it will be around much longer. It's really sad.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do not need a thread trashing another forum, it's moderators or owners.

Thread is locked.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread