Newbie finds gold with all your help.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First all I can say is WOW. What an experience. I hope this doesn't turn into a novel but I am so excited to tell everyone who helped me what my adventure to the Llano uplift went like. Remember, I have never hunted raw gold so this was all new to me. So grab yourself a cold one, sit back and enjoy.

so as I stated in an earlier post I was looking at a 3 hour drive from Arlington TX to Kingsland Tx and I got on the road around 9AM. Very uneventful ride until my GPS could not locate the county road, no wonder it is dirt! I arrived at the office around 12:30PM and get all the reservation stuff cleared up and get assigned my camp location. Down another dirt road I go trying to avoid all the washouts that have formed and me in my little PT Cruiser. Soon I arrived at "00" Hill campsite.

DSCI0151.JPG

DSCI0156.JPG

Needless to say I way awestruck with the sheer size and beauty of this area and it was all mine for the taking. Soon I was busy setting up camp and getting everything organized for my first ever gold expedition. As I got closer to getting all set up I started to get nervous, I was starting to feel overwhelmed as the river was always there and I could hear it running. Where would I even start! I kept replaying all the post of the information I had gotten from all of you through my head and started to feel queezy so I grabbed my chair and a cold one and walked the 20 feet to the rivers edge and sat down and soaked in the beauty while telling myself this was meant to be fun and not stressful. 10 minutes later I felt good and was ready to finish getting ready. A few more pictures.

DSCI0156.JPG DSCI0164.JPG DSCI0171.JPG

I spent Friday looking in all the wrong places so I at least eliminated those areas and set my sites on a good full day of searching up river a ways.
After several spots and what seemed like 100 pans it was getting on in the morning (I started at 7AM) and I still had seen nothing. I was walking back towards the bank to where I had my cooler for a water and took a little different route when I came across this small but inviting formation to check out. Look close and you will see a little crevice at the bottom of the ripples. Can you say man made sluice at its best!

DSCI0157.JPG

After a small test and seeing something yellow and shiny, why do we like shiny things so much, I dug out to the vey last piece of dirt I could get out of this crevice. Now the crevice was bigger than it looked in the pictures and I ended up with 3/4 of a five gallon bucket to lug back down river.
I get set up with my panning water and my safety catch bucket since I have never done this, after 1/2 hour of classifying I put a big scoop into my pan, I know I should have only put a little but I was tired and just want to see if there was anything at all worth the walk in the bucket.
Here is what I saw.

DSCI0179.JPG

Needless to say after I saw what I thought I was seeing I put the cons and the pan away to clean up at home where I would have more control and have a chance to calm down.
I will end this for now with some random pictures of mother natures beauty and a big thank you to all and when I finish my clean out I will post some more pictures.
DSCI0164.JPG DSCI0190.JPG DSCI0189.JPG

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed at least the pictures.

Ron

Upvote 0

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Looks very good! How is it put? "there's good color"...I have never had my first go at it but if it looks as good as your pic I would be over the moon! Hope it is nice for you and congrats on the trip. Can't wait to see the results!

HH!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!

Someone forgot to tell you that you need to season the pan to get rid of the mold release agent prior to panning.
That is why the water is beading up on the pan. Bad for panning gold! Take some alcohol and dishwashing liquid and a soft scotch brite pad and wash the pan until no water beading occurs. Being careful not to get any deep scratches in the pan. A dull finish is best.

Also when panning it helps to add a drop or two of jet-dri automatic dish washer liquid to your pan. It breaks up the water tension and keeps the really fine and flour gold from floating. Yes, fine gold will float on the water surface due to tension between molecules. Same way a bug can walk on water.

Congrats on the good looking gold and learning to crevice! :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent story and great color on your first try. Crevicing is always fun. You said you got every last spec, did you use some sort of suction device in the bottom of the crack like a turkey baster? I have worked many cracks and find there can be a lot of fine gold in the bottom of even very small crevices that you can't get with a spoon or scraper. Keep up the good work!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job! Totally impressed :)

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did forget to season the pan which is another reason I stopped with the clean up. As you can see some flakes were trying to escape.
And yes I did have a turkey baster that I stole from the kitchen drawer that my wife yelled at me about. :LOL, That is what I believe got most of my yeller up. I spent at least a solid hour just sucking up the bottom after I cleaned it out with first a small shovel, then a trowel, then a spoon followed by the baster.
Looking back at all the "work" I really had fun and can't wait to get back again. I did a couple table spoons yesterday and I see a lot of what would be flour gold so I am going to be taking my time.
The Llano river area has been hit hard over the years since it is the closest place in Tx to find gold. I was told of a dredge running recently. I would love to see their results as this was something I thought about but the costs compared to return would be hard to justify I believe, but you never know.........

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To heck with them miniscule turkey basters. Just go to any dollar/99 cent store and get a kids water blaster for a lousy buck. Funny colors,stupid cartoons bug ya just paint/tape and blast with a pint or a quart of water and REALLY blast them crevices 1000XXX better-hahahaha so much for the no gold in tejas bs we hear all the time as THAT gold looks pretty good to me-John

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To heck with them miniscule turkey basters. Just go to any dollar/99 cent store and get a kids water blaster for a lousy buck. Funny colors,stupid cartoons bug ya just paint/tape and blast with a pint or a quart of water and REALLY blast them crevices 1000XXX better-hahahaha so much for the no gold in tejas bs we hear all the time as THAT gold looks pretty good to me-John

Yes,

It is good to see someone getting gold in Texas, as I've heard the same thing many times.

Your tip on the blaster is interesting John, one I wouldn't have thought of.

Bejay has a tip on using shrimp guns for sucking the gold off of bedrock (not necessarily crevices): Shrimp Guns

All the best,

Lanny

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

HoserJohn Thanks I never thought of that. Looks like the Grandkids and there bucket of summer toys are going to get incorporated into the mining op.

Mint_2k

Jan 22, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
:occasion14:Wow, that's really good looking stuff! I had know idea you could find flakes like that in Llano. I thought it was just pure flour out there. You've given me hope! I'm out near Houston, and I contemplated going to Llano area a few times. Now I need to get off my rump and check it out. There is hope for us Texans!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REALLY GOOD NICE GOLD for that area!

I recognize that area. I have gone out there quite a bit but in the last year I hadn't been. I am guessing you went to Longs Fish and Dig out there in Kingsland. There is also a creek at the end of the camp site area that feeds into the Llano River that I have also retrieved some good gold there, (as well as some Lanite). About like what you have in your pan.

I know of a good deep spot on the other side of the river in and around that area that is 300ft long by 100ft wide and if forms like a swimming pool, shallow on one end ankle deep and going down to about 20-25+ feet deep on the furthest end and it slams right into a granite wall and during flood stage water rushes over the wall and could be possible in finding some real good gold as the water can't flow over the wall during normal river flow but it would require a whole good weekend or full week and several 4-5 inch suction dredges of which I don't even have one.

I know someone who tried working it with a 2 inch dredge and was there all weekend under water and couldn't even hit bottom with all the sand in it and didn't find any color. I know the sand is going to be deep at the bottom, but the gold down there certainly can't go over the granite wall and get washed out. If I was a betting man I would bet there has to be several ounces down there as that place has been like that for many many years.

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, there is a lot of tributaries in that river and you can walk up river one day and walk back up it a different day and everything will almost look different. Also, you can find a lot of good size garnet in there as well. I have walked up the river a good ways, (generally wherel no one would venture out very far when prospecting, (not even the people in our GPAA Club won't go that far up river with me trucking through the river), and I would find deep whirpool holes in the granite slab that I have found some as deep as 3-4ft and big enough I could stand in and found gold and garnet in them as well.

If you decide to come back down this way anytime this year and want someone to hanbg out and pan with you let me know and I will come meet up with you. I am only an hour and a half away.

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley,
I will be there all weekend this weekend. T,F,S and Sunday morning.
Yes I was at Longs, However I ventured upriver and work the creeks mouth. I am wanting to hit some high water line pockets and venture up to Babyhead and Pecan.
I love the views mother nature has to offer and want to see as many as I can. I am limited to exactly how much I can do at one time as I had a major heart attack 1 1/2 years ago and a quadruple by-pass. I still don't let it stop my from working up one heck of a sweat and exhausting me to the point of mid-day naps. LOL
If you are in the area I will be camping on "00" at the very end of the road by the river.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool! I may have plans already for this weekend, most likely my boss will have me working. Yeah and it is ROT, (Republic of Texas Rally) weekend and I am supposed to help out at some of the volunteer booths iof I wasn't working. I won't know anything Wednesday what is happening for sure. I will send you my contact info in a PM so you can give me a call.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic adventure! Thank you so much for sharing, and the pictures are awesome!
Best,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread