May somebody post some pictures of their gold trap box "Bazooka" - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: May somebody post some pictures of their gold trap box "Bazooka"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Thanks for the comment,
    When I had a plexiglass cover over the trap I didn't notice any scouring, I think it could have been due to the distance from the bottom of the ramp to the leading edge of the diverter which has a gentle slope into the trap instead of a steep angle. Another contributing factor could be that my grizzly (3/16" punchplate) being level with the bed reduces turbulence into the trap eliminating any scouring action. The red arrow points to the nugget trap In front of the grizzly.
    Attachment 1000329

However, I would be very interested to see an example of the new idea that you are suggesting.
    I'm always open to any improvements I could make.

GG~
    Now that I see the perf roof I think you are right. The wicker tip may still induce some feed water intro beneath the diverter if it is not in line with the two port lips which is probably really a non issue the way the sluice is configured.

I haven't tested mine yet but I set the arced diverter on my suggested line and I also extend down a little between the tubes so that material is introduced closer to the bottom. I differ from your theory, in another post, about water injection though. I have extended straws from the main supply tubes so that they squirt and spread out directly onto the base of the box. The end effect is rising water as if it comes through the bottom of the box. This should keep everything active and exchanging and not allow a packed bed to be formed. I may be wrong but I figure once gold, of any size, is at or near the bottom it is pretty much protected like in a gold pan and not likely to escape especially since the injected water merely fluffs the material much like you see in a spring. In any case I think the performance will at least equal usual capture and I hope be better at retaining -100 mesh which is what I am dealing with by processing ocean beach sands.
    Last edited by arizau; May 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Herby D

May 2014
    So Cal via Tx
    Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Do you guys know if anyone has ever tried ribbed rubber matting under the tubes to stabilize the fine gold ?

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"
    Old Alchemist.....

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Herby D View Post
    Do you guys know if anyone has ever tried ribbed rubber matting under the tubes to stabilize the fine gold ?

Some have suggested mat on the slick plate but mostly just to serve as an indicator that they are pushing gold into the box. It would serve no purpose inside the box in my opinion.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Herby D

May 2014
    So Cal via Tx
    Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
    65 times
    A few years back I saw the results of a test some guy performed by placing a three foot sheet of sheet metal with small ribbed rubber matting after the bazooka.. I don't remember how much material he ran but he found some small particles of fine gold the matting collected.. His assumption was that the turbulence was causing the fine gold to float.. I thought that maybe he didn't have it adjusted correctly for the amount of volume.. just curious..

Old Alchemist.....

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Herby D View Post
    A few years back I saw the results of a test some guy performed by placing a three foot sheet of sheet metal with small ribbed rubber matting after the bazooka.. I don't remember how much material he ran but he found some small particles of fine gold the matting collected.. His assumption was that the turbulence was causing the fine gold to float.. I thought that maybe he didn't have it adjusted correctly for the amount of volume.. just curious..

Some have noted losses of fine gold from bazooka type sluices. I hope my ideas can improve the recovery knowing full well that there will still be some losses due to the nature of the beast. The finest of gold particles have virtually no settling velocity or are flat and are subject to just washing through a bazooka or any other sluice type.
    Goodyguy likes this.

Aug 2013
    East Bay, Northern Ca
    568 times
    I would say the # one complaint I have heard when I show someone my homemade fluid bed is that "you can't see the gold?"

I just recently painted my skid w/ some chalk board paint, just to test it out. ( liked how an OG bazooka held it up ion the ABS plastic) Did see a few more pieces hangin up, then getting knocked towards the trap.....BUT, I have already sampled this area with my pan already. I know there is gold there. Therefore, I shovel more, watch the skid less.....

One of my thoughts to try & get the fines is to try and hook up a shaker / agitator ? No, go4gold, not a vibrator.....I keep thinking of a counter-weight attached to an impellor, or something like that, utilizing the water flow to give the trap side a little tap / shake / agitation....Have Wondered how that would affect the heavies settling, and lighter material ejecting...either for the better or worse
    go4thegold likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10577 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ALewis View Post
    I would say the # one complaint I have heard when I show someone my homemade fluid bed is that "you can't see the gold?" I just recently painted my skid w/ some chalk board paint, just to test it out. ( liked how an OG bazooka held it up ion the ABS plastic) Did see a few more pieces hangin up, then getting knocked towards the trap.....BUT, I have already sampled this area with my pan already. I know there is gold there. Therefore, I shovel more, watch the skid less..... One of my thoughts to try & get the fines is to try and hook up a shaker / agitator ? No, go4gold, not a vibrator.....I keep thinking of a counter-weight attached to an impellor, or something like that, utilizing the water flow to give the trap side a little tap / shake / agitation....Have Wondered how that would affect the heavies settling, and lighter material ejecting...either for the better or worse
    Hey there...the shaking would make things worse. The bgt is great down to -100 but as weak as most other sluices below that. This is due to the trade off on needing to throw 1/4" gravel out. To fix the -100 retention issue you'd have to:
    -add finer mesh to the grizzly
    - constrict flow into the fluidization tubes
    - maybe constrain speed of flow on the skid plate (not sure)
    ...we are describing a whole diff fluid bed although it could be easily done via a Bazooka with a highbanker setup. Someone with access to looks of -100 paydirt should try this maybe?!
    ALewis likes this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Jamestown nc
    Garrett at gold
    13 times
    I regularly catch -100 in my stock setup 48" Prospector BGT. I have tested many times with placing an extra sluice, whether it be a Keene, or Angus Mackirk, the BGT doesn't lose much if any 99% of the time as long as its set up correctly, and setting it up correctly is much more forgiving than any traditional Hungarian or Drop Riffle that i have ever used. As far as the complaints about not being able to see the gold or knowing u are in a good spot. I solved this by adding a piece of RRM to the slickplate. Adding this has in no way "that I can tell" affected the performance of the BGT, except for the fact that I can NOW see if the material I'm working is good or not. Here are some pics of the "baffle" that I believe uvare referring to. Hope this helps!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_185801.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	523.4 KB 
ID:	1001485

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_185823.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	641.7 KB 
ID:	1001486

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_185843.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	1001487

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_185901.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	1001488

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_190020.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	579.4 KB 
ID:	1001490

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_190020.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	579.4 KB 
ID:	1001490
    go4thegold and ALewis like this.

Sep 2012
    Oregon
    169 times
    Hi, Go4,

This is the end of my mini-BGT. I put a piece of wood flooring (aluminum) channel on the end to raise the exit just a bit because I wanted a little deeper trap. It closed the exhaust about 1/16". Inside you can see the baffle. Seems to be about 1/4". I think you should contact the manufacturer to see what they say about it.

Name:	BGT_baffle.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	1001530
    go4thegold likes this.

us
    May 2014
    9 times
    Prospecting
    @Alewis
    oh come on!

Just use the vibrator already! hahaha
    ALewis likes this.

us
    May 2014
    9 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Hi, Go4,

This is the end of my mini-BGT. I put a piece of wood flooring (aluminum) channel on the end to raise the exit just a bit because I wanted a little deeper trap. It closed the exhaust about 1/16". Inside you can see the baffle. Seems to be about 1/4". I think you should contact the manufacturer to see what they say about it.

That's a nice looking box. I finally finished mine.

I was considering raising the wall of the overflow myself. I get paranoid to losing small flakes even though my sample run went well and my box was able to collect some very very fine gold.
    Thanks all for the posts.
    If it wasn't for all of you, I wouldn't have finished it.
    Thanks again all!

Aug 2013
    East Bay, Northern Ca
    568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by go4thegold View Post
    @Alewis
    oh come on!

Just use the vibrator already! hahaha

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Hi, Go4,

If the pictured baffle is perpendicular to the lip of the slick plate then, in my opinion, it serves two purposes. First it sort of acts like a nozzle and restricts but accelerates the flow into the box. Second, but most importantly, it then effectively increases the volume of the box, after the pinch point, which quickly reduces the flow through speed and also allows room for tube introduced water. The somewhat slower flow allows some of the smaller, or maybe flatter pieces of gold a better chance to settle and not be swept out of the box. This info is food for thought and may be useful to DIY'ers and to those who may want to know, what I think is, a little of the science involved.
    Last edited by arizau; May 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
    benny likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    Lets see the finished product!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

Sep 2012
    Oregon
    169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    If the pictured baffle is perpendicular to the lip of the slick plate then, in my opinion, it serves two purposes. First it sort of acts like a nozzle and restricts but accelerates the flow into the box. Second, but most importantly, it then effectively increases the volume of the box, after the pinch point, which quickly reduces the flow through speed and also allows room for tube introduced water. The somewhat slower flow allows some of the smaller, or maybe flatter pieces of gold a better chance to settle and not be swept out of the box. This info is food for thought and may be useful to DIY'ers and to those who may want to know, what I think is, a little of the science involved.
    Pretty much my thinking. Not only is the trap a bit deeper, but it's also going to add some restriction and back pressure to slow the water going through. Don't know how to do any real testing though.

There's some other pictures in this link:
    Mini BGT ideas
    Last edited by benny; May 28, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links