Santee River, SC?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been looking at the Santee River in SC and wondering if anyone has found gold in the river.

The Santee River connects to and is less than 200 miles from Charlotte, NC gold country.

One of these days I'll get down there and sample from a boat but for now I would like to know if anyone else has found any gold in the river or sampled where the Santee meets the Atlantic Ocean.

http://www.usgwarchives.net/sc/maps/sc_rv.gif

The Santee River is a river in South Carolina in the United States, 143 miles (230 km) long. The Santee and its tributaries provide the principal drainage and navigation for the central coastal plain of South Carolina, emptying into the Atlantic Ocean approximately 440 miles (708 km) from its farthest headwater on the Catawba River in North Carolina.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Santeerivermap.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by chance there is a spec that made it, I'm sure it's microscopic. Go to the source.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ccales

Greenie
Apr 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Downstream from Lake Moultrie the Santee is all sand and limestone. If I were going to look for gold I would do it closer to the source.

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold has been moving downstream for tens of thousands of years. The Santee if fed from numerous gold bearing waterways. The few dams surely had some effect when they were built in the late 1800'/early 1900's.

Sand... I love sand! Ive been looking for a place to use a borehole dredge but doubt they would allow it near a dam.

Back to the original question... Has anyone sampled the Santee? Or where the Santee meets the ocean?

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
with my knowledge of gold deposits and this map of SC you need to move to one of the moving boies of water that feed into the santee those look
to be in the carolina gold belt.

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gold you'll find that far south is jewelry someone lost. The areas in SC with gold are pretty clear and defined. Who knows though . You may just find a chest full of gold :)

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost Union Payroll A $100,000 to $200,000 Union payroll in gold was rumored to have seen captured from Union forces by Confederates. The payroll was buried near the Santee River close to St. Stephen before the Confederates were captured and shot.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is always the possibility of fine gold, flood gold, down stream but that would require some pretty determined sampling. I don't think I'd be far from wrong to say the old timers checked it out long ago and walked away. Give it a go though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions