Question for all you experts out there

FLYeagle

May 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, im jack a newbe, from delaware. I am saving money up to dredge in nome... yes I am crazy for tryin to chase a dream but no I am not a complete idiot trying to get rich fast. I want to be as educated as possible so Next year I plan on going to nome around august to hopefully buy and store some used equiptment from some1 who wants to pack it up early n quit being a dredger. I will also talk to local dredgers with experience do some pay as you go dredging on local claims to learn more and figure out expenses. I wont be dredging for two years because I will not take out a loan to pay for all this, that way I will not be depending on finding gold and turning a profit. I was just wondering if anyone knows hom much a used 6 or 8 inch dredge for the bearing sea would cost me. Any thoughts and info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum FLYeagle. You might try sending a PM to AK_Au_Diver who is living your dream and can give you some hard facts. Also , search for a thread called Bering sea gold. Good luck!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man i would love to do this. But... as it were, im sitting here at my desk at work repairing HP servers (and slacking poking around on Tnet..) and not gold mining :(

OP
OP
F

FLYeagle

May 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.... I sent a similar pm to ak_au_diver because he popped up a lot in my research so far, but was'nt sure if he was still an active member on here still. Figured I would post this to see what other peoples thoughts were as well. I've got a lot of work to do and info to gather before I actually go out and do it. I beleive there is a huge difference in just goin to nome thinkin its easy n jumpin in thinkin your gonna get rich vs doin everything you can to be as prepared for it as you possibly can be. If it takes more then 2 years for me to get there then so be it. I know I am gonna do it, I just wanna make sure I do it right and spend money in the right places for the right tools.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nome... You're not going to get rich so take plenty of money, plan on coming back with experience, & not a lot of money left over. Nome has been hit hard since the series came out with thousands of people following their dream that was created on tv for them. Personally an island in the South Pacific surrounded by native girls who dive for me and bring me the gold nuggets is far more realistic than a few months of getting banged around by the surf in Nome in 30° glacier filled salt water with poor visibility. I've had a few friends come back from dredging in Nome many years ago saying that they would never go back. Going under the ice would be fun but how do you say Brrr :thumbsup: Dream about warmth and practicality like traveling to Anchorage then heading up to Denali & Fairbanks.

image001.gif

OP
OP
F

FLYeagle

May 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to look up info on what kind of gold people were finding after the discovery series came on. I figured it would take a hit witheveryone and their brother trying to become dredgers after watching the show. I can't really say I'm not one of those people, but as I stated I am not looking to make a ton of money.. a little would be nice, but I am prepared to basically lose money for two seasons and whatever happens happens. I would also look into buying a claim in nome if the rec areas are as dry as u say they are. Claims I would look into would be rivers or claims with creeks. And of course I would check to make sure there was some gold before i went about purchasing or leasing anything. If anyone knows or thinks this is a better plan then the rec areas please let me know. Thanks.

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
first thing, if your not already a certified scuba diver, get it done "PADI" is a good place to start! knowing how to dive makes learning how to dredge much easier. there is much more to dredging than just sucking up sediment from the bottom. don't wait till you get to Nome to learn how to dredge. get with someone in your area that has a dredge and get a lot of nozzle time, learn how to set up you box for the different materials. remember luck favors the prepared!
Good Luck with your adventure!

OP
OP
F

FLYeagle

May 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info... currently I am not scuba certified and basically know nothing about dredging or the equiptment which besides for saving up the money is the reason I am at least 2 years away at min from making this happen. Getting certified to dive is easy for me here on the east coast... getting nossel time will be difficult, anyone know anywhere close to delaware to do this or any clubs that could help me out to learn how to dredge?

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Ahhhhhhh to be young again.......Go for it FLYeagle.......you only live once.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just want to know the name of the Island with the gold fetching native diving girls?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions