1.8 MB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a good thing when your digging and find a concentration of heavy objects. They are grouped together for a reason. I would just use vinegar. Look on the relic hunting forum there are threads about cleaning and preserving artifacts.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "car body gold" ?

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always find miscellaneous rusty iron and steel. Car parts, cans and almost anything you can imagine. I set it aside to take home to throw away. Leave your location in better condition than you found it!
That's very fine gold - good recovery. Where abouts were you sluicing?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I soaked a bunch of really rusty bits in sulphuric acid (I just used hot tub filter cleaner). After a week of soaking the rust had totally broken up, the steel was basically clean and ready for the recycle bin. The bottom of the bucket was full of sediment, little pebbles that had been bound up in the rust, etc. I panned it out and did find a few small flakes!

This confirmed the old miners' tales about gold being bound up in the rust due to both the iron items and gold landing in the same spots in the creek and then sitting there for decades as the rust forms around all of it.

I should add that I already owned the filter cleaner so there was basically no cost for me but I'm sure the gold was worth a lot less than the cost of have chemicals used...a fun, educational experiment but not worth the cost and effort. You'd be better off spending your time digging more paydirt and just tossing the rusty stuff straight in the recycle bin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys and gals... Thanks for the responses... I did use the vinegar and broke apart 95% of the rust didn't find much more than the previous picture but like Kevin said was a great learning experience (been gold prospecting for about 2 months now).... I was sluicing north of silverton CO, my first day out I met this older man walking his 5 dogs and stopped and talked with me daily telling me about his days as a young man sluicing in the area. He was the one who pointed out the rusty stuff and called it the "car body". Hope that helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread