FOR EVERYONE, experienced and non-experienced, What do you know about gold?

go4thegold

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This thread hopefully will become a favorite or a saved thread of yours. (It'll be mine for sure!)

This thread is for everyone here who is a prospector, to share information about what they know about how gold behaves...And most importantly, where it is found so we can help one another to not be digging blindly! (Gravel Bars, river bends, what rocks to look for, etc etc). I realize there is information out there for anyone to look up but I'd say a thread covering old ideas and new ideas is even better!

I'll start it off by obviously saying, gold is heavy. So it will always sink to the bottom of just about anything.

Look in crevices in bedrock! Flush them out with little kids water blaster or suck it up with a turkey baster!

YOUR TURN! :notworthy::headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend working the placers near lode mines. Get to bedrock. Clean, wash all rocks and chisel the cracks.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything:tongue3: I also know it is most active before a full moon and during its spawning season:headbang:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you work very hard, stay healthy, practice, train, and dedicate yourself to be the best....you can attain Gold every four years.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmmm... Well I know it's yellow, valuable, and has driven people mad!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's soft and usually rather small ... But oddly rather desired by most women.

...and we seem to have become a bunch of trolls here ;-)

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-planting seedling gold for next years harvest has been my secret - til now.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Trolls like Gold to...
Celebrate07.gif

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Learn to read the Rivers and streams....Gold will only move when the water is high enough and fast enough to turn the bottom over....Gold will only drop out of the fast water in a low pressure area...Like behind large boulders...Look upstream and imagine the water coming down 20 or 30 foot higher than it is normally..those inside bends maybe straight fast water then... Art

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, some great replies already! This thread is GOLD:treasurechest: Its what is left after you get rid of all the other crap. How's that?

Boulders: While bedrock is great, a lot of your gold will come from around boulders. If you are looking at a creek-bed you want to go after the big boulders. People talk about fist sized cobbles. I need at least human head sized (6-10 fists) to even dig. Watermelons (3-4 heads) are better. Multi-watermelon, are better still. on up...smart car, VWbus, house etc...

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is getting harder to find these days as many more new prospectors are cracking the rock. When in a well worked area you need to work harder cleaning a crack further by breaking out the bottom , brushing and washing the crack out. Move a large rock out of the way if people have cleaned around it if possible.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is medicine for mid 1500 Spaniards who had a disease of the heart that only gold could cure.

For many these days, gold might as well be a myth. And, has anyone actually bitten down on any gold like in the movies? And, shouldn't gold be under investigation since it has been involved in so many stage coach payroll robberies ending up in a running gun battle only to be buried and a crude map quickly drawn before all survivors are killed off? That's the way I heard it.

Just sayin.

Patrick

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's soft and usually rather small ... But oddly rather desired by most women.

...and we seem to have become a bunch of trolls here ;-)
come on guys Trolls live under bridges.....we must be dwarves even if there are more than seven of us. There is more gold left than ever mined....the easy stuff may seem to be gone yet Its not hard to find some every time you go out when you do your research. All the gold ever mined wouldn't make a cube 60 feet on each side. Also keep in mind there are less prospectors now than ever in our history.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
When looking for vein gold- Look for the UGLY and not the pretty white quartz. The old timers said "The redder the better".
Red means iron staining-mineralization.

George

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron and rust period.... .! coming out of a gravel bank or hillside. In layers in stream gravel it is oxidized ferrous sands. Nails and pick tips sittin' in a bed rock crack those things like to hang out with nuggets or vice versa. Looking for it constantly:headbang:Any changes in color and oxidization are great indicators for potentially valuable minerals and precious metals.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Gold is where you find it." An ancient proverb. *nods sage like*

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FOR EVERYONE, experienced and non-experienced, What do you know about gold?

It's very heavy.

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive found that if you find a aet of rapids directy after it or in parts of it theres a waterfall effect where gold settles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread