Auburn State Recreational Area?

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, I'm a "noob" still learning the ropes and I'm curious as to which part of the california mother lode i should really focus my attention on.

I've found some color outside of the San Andreas area, a little in Jamestown, and even a nice picker in Sonora.

Although finding any gold is a win in my book, I have the fever and WANT MORE...I'm considering heading north to the Auburn State Recreational Area this Sunday. Given that we are in this drought, might i find better results on the American?... or has it been overworked?

Any thoughts/ comments will be much appreciated

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of them there BUT it's them biting worms that'll get ya as them babies are very small and give ya their all as ignorant in the ways of venom injection doses to kill-John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't see any rattlers today but did see ASRA left a warning note instead of a ticket on someones window. They once called me off of my pan to move my vehicle instead of ticketing me which was rather descent of them. Park at your own peril......

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't see any rattlers today but did see ASRA left a warning note instead of a ticket on someones window. They once called me off of my pan to move my vehicle instead of ticketing me which was rather descent of them. Park at your own peril......

..where were you almost ticketed?

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
There is usually a parking fee for overnight, not sure about just a day fee. If so just pay and they stay away, hopefully. That area will always give up some gold. You can't go wrong.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
..where were you almost ticketed?

I was at Yankee Jim's. They seem to go a little easier there than at Mineral Bar. $10.00 to park daytime to sunset. No overnight parking.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time a fee can be charged BY LAW is when the following is provided-picnic tables,trash cans,toilet then charges are legal-all else bs-John

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Did pretty good yesterday, initially wasted a little time digging a waiste deep hole on a gravel bar with some nice watermelon sized rocks all over the place- yet found little gold for the effort.

I moved upstream to the next inside corner and did pretty well working the crevices there. Met a fellow prospector who told me where to find the gold there and even helped me position my sluice!

Had a great time for my first river experience ( i normally work smaller creeks ). The hike up/ down pennyweight trail with all of my gear was perilous but I'm definitely up for the challenge again!

If anyone is down to hit the river this weekend let me know, maybe we can meet at the trailhead??

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did pretty good yesterday, initially wasted a little time digging a waiste deep hole on a gravel bar with some nice watermelon sized rocks all over the place- yet found little gold for the effort. I moved upstream to the next inside corner and did pretty well working the crevices there. Met a fellow prospector who told me where to find the gold there and even helped me position my sluice! Had a great time for my first river experience ( i normally work smaller creeks ). The hike up/ down pennyweight trail with all of my gear was perilous but I'm definitely up for the challenge again! If anyone is down to hit the river this weekend let me know, maybe we can meet at the trailhead??

That may be possible. :). $ is real tight, but my fire is raging..

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, let me know if you can make it out sir...I'm thinkin friday or saturday morning, and i usually like to get things started at sun-up.

Hopefully you can make it out!!

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennyweight is a great trail ! Can be a long hike w/ gear tho......

Don't forget to look up ! Have had some good days working higher up, top of water line....

CAM00291.jpg

Long hike to the Sluice !!

CAM00309.jpg

But, decent results for about a half day of digging....

CAM00199.jpg

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I stuck to the waterline the last time I was out there but I will definitely look up next time...hopefully I make it out there Friday and Sunday this weekend. I did about 3 to 4 times better on the American than I do in other places I've dug which leaves me with a hunger to return!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread