Auburn State Recreational Area?

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, I'm a "noob" still learning the ropes and I'm curious as to which part of the california mother lode i should really focus my attention on.

I've found some color outside of the San Andreas area, a little in Jamestown, and even a nice picker in Sonora.

Although finding any gold is a win in my book, I have the fever and WANT MORE...I'm considering heading north to the Auburn State Recreational Area this Sunday. Given that we are in this drought, might i find better results on the American?... or has it been overworked?

Any thoughts/ comments will be much appreciated

Upvote 0

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area has been worked for a long time. You should be able to find some there though. Just look farther off the beaten trail than most do. I've found pickers in asra before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sun I saw a Bear driving out on Iowa Hill Rd, 1st one this year....But, so far have never had any issues, knock on wood....came across a few last year, thankfully they always scared off quickly....

Last trip out, off of Pennyweight Trail.....

CAM00199.jpg CAM00200.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is still green up here in the north, we didn't have as much of a dry year as you guys did down south so the water is still running a bit high for the year but everything is still nice and green so you will definitely enjoy it. I always find gold on the American everytime and everywhere I go. Even the main bar at the confluence still has gold, so the ASRA is a great place to go EXCEPT that they make you pay to park almost everywhere now by the river, which is total money grabbing bs. I mean the rangers do scrape the body parts up from below the Foresthill bridge but how often do they have to do any work? The river was great for everyone before they came in and started closing roads and gating off access points to most of the river that was open to everyone for 10,000,000+ years before they came.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTHING IS WORKED OVER....there is a lot of color to be had all over the motherlode. Walk 1/8 mile past easy access and you might as well be a two miles away. South Fork of the American near Coloma/Lotus is good too.

GoldenNerd

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're off the ASRA though you have to play "minesweeper" (pun intended) with all of the claims. So annoying.

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all of the comments, and even a couple pictures.. much appreciated!

I'm definitely headin out there this Sunday. Better pick up some bear spray first though!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research its not hard to find open areas.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This year; most of my findings have been from ASRA- other than a few other claimed sites....

Learn the riverflow, and study. Plat Maps/privatized land ownership lines

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
I've been there many times and have yet to see a bear. There's so much activity around Mineral Bar Campground I'm a little surprised you saw one, especially on the Colfax side on Iowa Hill Rd.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this area still restricted as to pans only or are some digging tools and sluices allowed?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hands and pans restrictions were dropped.

GoldenNerd

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hands and pans restrictions were dropped.

I just called them to confirm because I couldn't find anything online (all of their websites and such are out of date.)

Shovels, picks and such are all okay. No displacing large rocks. Try to leave things as you find them.
Allowed to work the gravel-bars only. Sluices okay so long as they're running gravel-bars and not taking from the surrounding areas and putting into the rivers.
No metal detecting west of 49 is still in place but no other restrictions .
No taking of historical artifacts.

I didn't ask about highbanking or drywashing. Oops. (530) 885-4527 then '0' to get the front desk if you want to know.

Thanks for letting us know @Goldwasher!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just called them to confirm because I couldn't find anything online (all of their websites and such are out of date.)

Shovels, picks and such are all okay. No displacing large rocks. Try to leave things as you find them.
Allowed to work the gravel-bars only. Sluices okay so long as they're running gravel-bars and not taking from the surrounding areas and putting into the rivers.
No metal detecting west of 49 is still in place but no other restrictions .
No taking of historical artifacts.

I didn't ask about highbanking or drywashing. Oops. (530) 885-4527 then '0' to get the front desk if you want to know.

Thanks for letting us know @Goldwasher!
Thanks to you both for info.

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet, Thanks for the information!

Don't think i'm going to get some bear spray just yet, hopefully my shovel will keep the bears at bay. I have high hopes for Sunday, gonna try out the Pennyweight trail area

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet, Thanks for the information! Don't think i'm going to get some bear spray just yet, hopefully my shovel will keep the bears at bay. I have high hopes for Sunday, gonna try out the Pennyweight trail area

..you may come across some of my holes/crevicing work. :). Enjoy it out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread