F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winches, Etc.: Keene Engineering Online

I've been active here for over two years and not once have I seen pics of boulder moving equipment such as this. This was
considered standard minimum in my prospecting days. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Correction - 63bkpkr showed some pics, and Reed's utube vids, had some. Other than that ?...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's old technology Fullpan. Much more effective for boulder work is the Griphoist.

Less effort, less wire and more pulling capacity. Much less wear on cable. No limit on length. Works underwater as well as above. You will never go back to an old style winch. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any pics of Griphoist in action out there ?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL... All this talk of wenches and flying boulders has got me thinking I'm back at a Ren-Faire!!!! Maybe I'm showing my age here, but I've always liked the Calvary motto when it come to such things... There is NO problem that the proper application of high explosives will not solve......

Really though that is a cool system Clay.....

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone check the price on those griphoists? I can't find one on their website anywhere. I'd never heard of them either. Thanks for the links.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old school is the best school!
Dynamite_Brown.jpg
:)
Actually when the time comes for me to move big boulders I plan on floating them via air bags if the water is deep enough. Otherwise I'll use a chain come along. They are much easier then a standard come along and easier to boot.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Down here in GA you can just buy black powder. we used to make our own dynamite when i was a kid with my dad. HE used to make it for coal mining in KY when HE was a kid. If you are interested PM me or hit me up on Skype at duckwalk88. I would post but i dont wan the crazys to find out how and blame it on me.....

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one of Reed's vids from 2006 - Although he has fun when he's dredging, there's NO WAY this is "recreational mining". I love how he moved the boulders
using the snatch and "peel out" method, with a chunk of mesh fencing and his suburban.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool, GT - if you want it bad enough, you can find a way.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool, GT - if you want it bad enough, you can find a way.

Going to zipp out to this spot, see if the rock is still there and chk the status of the area if its still open we may be looking for a partner try to dig that channel again, i found a Fair bit of gold in that wash years back when i was chasin placer.

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another tool I never hear about - yes, its pricey but, as the salesmen say "you can pay for it in one weekend if you get lucky" lol. It seems with lower
water levels this year, one could access the gut of most rivers with this or another brand.

HydroAir: Keene Engineering Online

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a griphoist but my little Lewis chainsaw winch was a lot easier so I sold it. Now I have hydraulics and the old Stapp winch in this video is long gone. Personally I still prefer a 300ft cable, some snatch blocks and making a pulling trail for my 4wd because it's the fastest and easiest way to move boulders. Then when you couple the speed of a truck with the speed of our speed pulling nets that we designed, you drop the net, it falls over the rock, yell pull and away it goes. You can pull a boulder totally out of the way every 3 minutes. And that's 3 minutes from the time of grabbing the net from the boulder you just moved and then walking it back up to the next one and dropping it over that next boulder you have to pull. So when we go out into the bush we take a gas operated winch when there is no other access. A good wheelbarrow will move all of the winching equipment at once.
Here's a playlist link, the first movie is how to run your winch and the second is how to make the "Morrison Speed Sling" that we always use. We make a few for each year when we are really moving a lot of boulders.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85E2DB686826634B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread