What kind of battery should I buy?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What kind of battery should I buy?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2014
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What kind of battery should I buy?

Hey guys, I'm wondering what kind of battery I should buy for my pump for my recirculating sluice.
    My pump is a 2200 GPH Johnson.

Do I get a deep cycle or a car battery, or is a lawn tractor battery ok?

Thanks,
    Jordan

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Any will work, even solar. I run mine at home with the battery charger. IMHO, a deep cycle battery is too heavy and expensive, so I personally would like to know how much run time could be had from a fully charged lawn tractor/motorcycle battery in the field.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

May 2014
    2 times
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. You say you run the battery with the charger. Do you mean you keep the charger hooked up to the battery while you use the battery?

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11925 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Security system/ computer back-up batteries work great and come in different sizes amp/hr
    3xflyfisher likes this.

us
    Nov 2005
    In my RV, where ever it may stop!
    Whites MXT
    261 times
    Go for the deep cycle! Automotive batteries are not made to cycle through charging/discharging. And even using a deep cycle, to best extend the life of the battery try not to discharge below 40% or so. I've seen some slick setups that do have a solar panel hooked to the battery to keep a smaller one charging while being used. Goldwasher is right, use a computer UPS battery.
    if not flyfishing - TH'ing, if not TH'ing - flyfishing
    Whites MXT

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    DEEP CYCLE!!!!!!! As almost everyone on here knows, I use a recirc system extensively out at our claim. The security system batteries just don't last, motorcycle batteries are just about the same and while a car battery will work well, they can't handle the constant discharge and recharge for very long.

Depending on how much time you plan on spending out in the field, you may want to invest in a matched pair as well as a solar panel system to charge the one your not using at the time. My current power project is a trailer with over 750 Watts worth of panels mounted to it to supply not only as a charging station for the batteries, but will also supply power for the entire camp. This includes lighting, computer power you name it. Still under construction but when finished it's going to be great. It's also costing me close to $5K for the panels, batteries, charge controller and inverters. (The trailer I already had... )

Deep cycle batteries may be expensive and heavy but they are the way to go IMHO. I can run for two solid days using twin pumps and then swap and recharge them off the 20Watt solar panel.
    Goodyguy and Goldwasher like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

gb
    Dec 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Garrett AT Gold
    68 times
    Prospecting
    I'd go AGM. They're about twice the price of a similarly sized deep cycle lead-acid though. You can discharge the AGM much more than a deep cycle without trashing the battery, and they charge in about 1/4 of the time. They also have a good shelf life when not in use, unlike regular lead acid (car, motorcycle) batteries. If size and weight are an issue check out smaller AGM's, like the ones they use in mart carts.
    Here's a 26Ah one:

http://www.allegromedical.com//mobility-scooters-c533/mk-12-volt-26-amp-sealed-light-duty-agm-batteries-p560971.html?gclid=CjgKEAjwkpacBRCNlprWw-u-nBwSJACwHiw-0N4db-Agonx61XEvoe10dqu9tC4FT8EKa4mb5vyva_D_BwE&kwid=pro ductads-plaid^75250890013-sku^1268@ADL4F6AF07B@ADL4ALLEGRO-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^49836373933#1268-F6AF07B?engine=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medi um=feed&CS_003=9164468&CS_010=ff808181268efc270126 8f6af02b0019

edit: just checked the johnson 2200gph - apparently runs 7.5 amps, so that little battery should last you about 3 1/2 hours.
    Last edited by PaulieNoNuggets; May 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5921 times
    Prospecting
    You can do a search and read some of the other threads
    relating to battery usage, as there is a wealth of helpful info
    in them.

12V Batteries - Is there a preference?

This is the battery I am using, and so far am very pleased with it's
    performance. I can run about 4 hrs. without recharge. At 2 hrs.
    of use, it still has a level of about 12.5v, and the "float" voltage
    is about 13.5v.

12V 18Ah Jumper Pack Booster Box Battery Replacement | eBay

Very good seller, as well.
    Jeff95531 likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    You can do a search and read some of the other threads
    relating to battery usage, as there is a wealth of helpful info
    in them.

12V Batteries - Is there a preference?

This is the battery I am using, and so far am very pleased with it's
    performance. I can run about 4 hrs. without recharge. At 2 hrs.
    of use, it still has a level of about 12.5v, and the "float" voltage
    is about 13.5v.

12V 18Ah Jumper Pack Booster Box Battery Replacement | eBay

Very good seller, as well.
    $36 AND free shipping. Can't beat that!

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan P View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. You say you run the battery with the charger. Do you mean you keep the charger hooked up to the battery while you use the battery?
    Yes. I use a toggle switch to interrupt power. I set the charger to 10 amps.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan P View Post
    here at work we use the Lead Acid batteries for all sorts of fun stuff. battery backups come in here all the time from companies we buy them from.
    This is usually the size we get. we have made some super bright LED spot lights using these batteries. the move volts you put to an LED the brighter it gets.
    Amazon.com: 12V 5AH Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery [Electronics]: Health & Personal Care
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

May 2014
    2 times
    Thank you everyone for the great responses! Helped me out a lot!

I plan to run my sluice in my garage, so solar panels are out of the question. Also $5000 is a hefty price to pay lol. I want to find enough gold to pay for my supplies atleast. After the battery and charger I'll already be $600 in on gold supplies. So $600 of gold is my goal for now. You guys think that's possible? Lol.

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Jordan P, I think I missed with my answer. I use no battery at all...runs straight off the charger.

May 2014
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    Hey Jordan P, I think I missed with my answer. I use no battery at all...runs straight off the charger.
    Really? I never knew that was possible. Does the charger wear out by using it that way?

us
    Nov 2005
    In my RV, where ever it may stop!
    Whites MXT
    261 times
    Gold is at about $1255/oz so $600 dollars translates to just under 1/2oz. It all depends where you prospect and how ambitious you are! The more dirt you wash, the more gold you will find!
    if not flyfishing - TH'ing, if not TH'ing - flyfishing
    Whites MXT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links