Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Day River Chinook season extended through June 15
05/29/2014

You are subscribed to News Releases for ODFW. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

May 28, 2014
John Day — The upper John Day River will remain open to spring Chinook fishing through Sunday, June 15 under temporary rules announced today by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
The river will be open from the Longview Ranch’s Johnson Creek Division bridge (located approximately 200 feet upstream from the mouth of the North Fork John Day River) upstream 19.5 miles to the mouth of Rattlesnake Creek near the south end of Picture Gorge.
The bag limit will be two adult Chinook salmon and five jack salmon per day; it is unlawful to continue fishing for jacks after taking a daily bag limit of two adult Chinook salmon. A fishing license including a Columbia River Endorsement and a combined angling tag are required for this fishery. There are no developed drift boat launches in this area so fishing is expected to be from the bank only.
“The salmon fishery was scheduled to close June 1 but muddy water from flash-floods persisted during much of the earlier season,” said District fish biologist Jeff Neal. “Extending the season for another two weeks will give anglers another opportunity to take advantage of this fishery.”
ODFW will operate a check station near Picture Gorge for angler information and to collect data. The station will be open during randomly selected days throughout the fishery. All anglers are encouraged to check in after fishing.
For more information contact Jeff Neal or Brent Smith, district fish biologists, at 541-575-1167 x226.
Board members, who are appointed to four-year terms by the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission, meet three or four times each year in various communities throughout the state to review project funding applications, hear public testimony, act as liaisons between the program and the public and to conduct other program business. Board members are volunteers; however, Board-related business expenses are reimbursed.
For more information and to obtain an application, go to the R&E Program website at
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/RE/board.asp or contact Kevin Herkamp at (503) 947-6232 or [email protected]

###
Jeff Neal or Brent Smith (541) 575-1167
Jessica Sall (503) 947-6023

ODFW Willamette Falls Fish Passage Update
05/29/2014

STAY CONNECTED:
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...."muddy waters from flash floods....Extending the season will give anglers another opportunity...". Translation: - Although the Chinook are a delicate, precious resource, they seem to be doing just fine surviving the muddy waters - now go kill em' for another 2-weeks".

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good thing that turbidity is natural and supports the ecosystem!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You took the words right off of my keyboard:laughing7:

QUOTE=Fullpan;4029326]...."muddy waters from flash floods....Extending the season will give anglers another opportunity...". Translation: - Although the Chinook are a delicate, precious resource, they seem to be doing just fine surviving the muddy waters - now go kill em' for another 2-weeks".[/QUOTE]

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FWIW, these fish are headed waaaayyy up the John Day to spawn, and
by the time they get there odds are high they'll be pretty nasty lookin'.
All beat up, covered with sores, etc., not to mention that the meat will
be almost white as the fish has put everything into preparing for spawning,
and then dying...
sSig_aaarggh.gif~original

You want to eat a Salmon, then catch it fresh from the salt, as otherwise
you'll end up with a nasty smelling, foul tasting fish. They leave the season
open a bit longer when there's a good return, but I wouldn't want one of
them nasty things on the end of a hook!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...."muddy waters from flash floods....Extending the season will give anglers another opportunity...". Translation: - Although the Chinook are a delicate, precious resource, they seem to be doing just fine surviving the muddy waters - now go kill em' for another 2-weeks".

They are going to die anyway..... lol. I love to fish I wish they would extend all the seasons.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that everything now days has to do with saving the salmon, protecting habitat for salmon, creating habitat for salmon, taking out dams to save the salmon, the list goes on & on. Two years ago I called the ODFW asking about an extension for a small stream that I was dredging, the anwser was a "BIG FAT NO" they flat out told me that "IT WON'T HAPPEN" all for the sake of the fish. There is a small natural rock boulder waterfall several miles down stream that the salmon can't get over unlees there is high water which is usually two months later than the end of the dredge season.They didn't care.... "SO" for me to see this "CRAP" pisses me off, when it comes to the John Day river I don't care if the fish are allmost dead & going to die. If there being fished & fish are being caught then thats that many more fish that could have made it through and been allowed to spawn. Hell, where I live the ODFW sets traps to catch fish in tributaries that "THEY" don't think the fish should go into. They take the fish 20 miles back down river and turn it loose so it can be caught by someone fishing. Does that sound like there concerned about saving the fish? This whole thing about saving the salmon has got to be the biggest "SCAM" there ever was....

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ to answer that one-now that the dredgers are long gone(in some places)they can rob,rape,pillage them fish with no one to witness the wholesale slaughter of the species. CDFG-now CFW- sold over 2,000,000 stamps to kill up to 4 a day and kill all the jacks ya want as no limit. With the 5 classifications of time limits that wipes out over 200,000,000 salmon and steelhead analy-no typo- :censored: but all the trinity closed to even a pan because we might muddy the waters,last 22 claims gone in 15 months due to TRRP by FS/BLM.....:skullflag: John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread