All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure it is true! A friend who has been Gold prospecting much of his 70 years on this earth, told me that besides curing or scouring a new Gold pan for use, you always wash it with a good degreasing Dishwashing liquid as well as wash your' hands. You should also wash it every time before you go out prospecting. The reason is that any grease/oil that gets into the Gold pan, can make small Gold flakes and Gold dust float. So, if it floats, it is going right out of the pan when washing out lighter material.

Frank

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They build battleships out of concrete and steel ,and they float just fine.A flat thin piece of gold will float like a raft. A little dish soap to break the surface tension and you'll be good to go.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Virtually any flat gold under 50 mesh will float because at the atomic level gold repels water. This atomic level magnetic force is overridden by good old gravity as the gold gets larger. This means any time gold can get dry, it will then float...assuming it's small of course. A drop of Jetdry rinse aid does a great job of defeating this. Soap also works but tends to make annoying bubbles.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am pretty sure it is true! A friend who has been Gold prospecting much of his 70 years on this earth, told me that besides curing or scouring a new Gold pan for use, you always wash it with a good degreasing Dishwashing liquid as well as wash your' hands. You should also wash it every time before you go out prospecting. The reason is that any grease/oil that gets into the Gold pan, can make small Gold flakes and Gold dust float. So, if it floats, it is going right out of the pan when washing out lighter material. Frank

To make your life easier, I have to disagree about needing to wash your pans every time you use them. That's just silly...and some times there are specks of gold that live in my pan from one trip to the next, don't wanna wash those away!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting thin gold it has a tendency to float..I think it is called leaf gold

No. Gold leaf is a mechanically flattened gold that is used for decorations. It doesn't refer to placer or load gold.

OP
OP
J

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get some jet dry. Hope it's not expensive lol. Washing my pan before every trip/use does sound silly, but I totally understand the concept.

Anyone ever find gold in limestone? I crushed a bunch and found some!

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluedeer, there is gold in limestone. southern Utah is known for gold in limestone.

back to topic, dawn works just as well as jetdry. two drops in the panning tube is plenty.

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually has to do with surface tension of the water and the surface area of a gold flake. The smaller and thinner a speck of gold is the more surface area it has. Due to this surface area in relation to the surface tension of water (~molecular charge), small flakes of gold can and do float. Every one who has mentioned jet-dry or a dish soap is right, the soap is a wetting agent, thus making water "wetter" on a a molecular level and reducing the surface tension and then not allowing the small gold flakes to float. Chemically a more complicated explanation but this is close!
Prospect is correct, gold can be found in carbonate rock types (limestone and dolomites).

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get super small gold floating around my pan when I snuffing it up. The thing I have found is big flat flakes will float up from halfway up to the high watermark. Found one today near the nosebleed section.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It actually has to do with surface tension of the water and the surface area of a gold flake. The smaller and thinner a speck of gold is the more surface area it has. Due to this surface area in relation to the surface tension of water (~molecular charge), small flakes of gold can and do float. Every one who has mentioned jet-dry or a dish soap is right, the soap is a wetting agent, thus making water "wetter" on a a molecular level and reducing the surface tension and then not allowing the small gold flakes to float. Chemically a more complicated explanation but this is close!
Prospect is correct, gold can be found in carbonate rock types (limestone and dolomites).

Doc at Gold Hog gives a graphic illustration and explanation of this in the following link.
Many of his videos are very informative and helpful.

OP
OP
J

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information fly fisher! Makes a lot of sense.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First section of that video deals extensively with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions