Mineral Bar

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

Got to go mining today, after constant cancels for over a month. Got to try out my hand dredge and my AM sluice. The Sluice was probably the most frustrating part of the trip. It took more than 10 or so minutes to find a place and set the sluice up( First time setting one up) After I finally figured out how to get the right level and water flow it worked well. Then came the clean up...... I put the bucket at the top of the sluice and the bucket was pushed forward by the water causing me to put both my hands on the sluice so it won't go into the water, losing all the gold. Then I realized I had the rock on it making it harder to get the sluice out of the water, freaking out about losing the gold I lifted it out of the water. Holding the sluice with both hands I stood up to watch my bucket start floating down the river. I was literally a rock stuck in a hard place. I wasn't going to drop the sluice. I should also mention I was on some unstable rocks. I called out to my dad who jumped out of his chair. I told him "THE BUCKET." Next thing I know the dumb thing fills with water and gets caught on a rock, in reach. My dad retrieved the bucket and I had a good clean out. Did two more clean outs before the end of the day. Showed good results for my first time actually digging and using a sluice. Had a weird encounter with a snake as well. Long story short I was protecting my hole I was digging in before he got to it. Then he kinda acted like he might attack us because the snake was eyeballing us once he realized we were there. Sluice worked well and the hand dredge worked like it should. Good day of learning and adventure.

I will post a picture of the results of about 3 or 2 buckets full later.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What kind of snake was it? I had a stare down with this thing on Saturday on the NF. Seems it was trying to protect it's gold.....

IMG_2625.JPG

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO - good story, oro - brought back memories !! mojo, looks like you had encounter with dreaded "Mexican Staring Frog" (for South Park fans, lol)-thanks to
both of you. :thumbsup:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Fullpan a southpark reference ...lmfao you crack me up....gold..golf and a sense of humor...wish I lived closer I'd buy ya' luch just to b.s. with ya. HF.....cool story don't worry more trips will equal more gold and less mishaps.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you see Bubba's meltdown today ? - get a swing coach, Watson, lol

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:....Been working an invitational since Wednesday afternoon.....60 hours as of today.. can barely stay up for the recaps on the news..I haven't seen anything...digging on the Consumnes tomorrow to unwind! (skipping chance for a free round at work) Then It's Wednesday back to the grind!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Next time bring the bucket to the sluice from down stream. Slide the bucket up around the bottom end of the sluice and then just stand the whole thing up! Of course this assumes the sluice will fit in the bucket. With my AM Expedition I have to press down on the rim of the bucket a little to make it oval so the sluice slides in easily. Try this with an empty sluice first, THEN one with gold in the riffles ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread