Newbe still needs help!

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here it is guys, I am heading back to kingsland Texas where I found some gold.
I realize and understand the basics. I have the fever now. This is a granite uplift, should I go upstream or work the area I found GOLD????
I still plan on working both upstream and down where I found gold but can you give me an idea of where I should look next??
I am looking at the banks but I don't know!!!!!
This is Almost my best bucket list yet.
I am hooked and I just want to see color. Isn't it great.
You guys are awesome, I wish I lived in Cali but Texas has GOLD!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Pics would help. Send if you can. Test pan around the area you plan to work as it will tell. Gold has a mind of its own. Don't get discouraged. Stay and look where you found it before as there may be more, unless you think you can do better elsewhere. Test , test , test.. Check close to the front and back of the uplift, where you think gold being heavy would travel.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my advice, Sample Sample Sample. It is very important to to see if you are diggin gold or just useless dirt. Gold is where you find it. Look for big boulders. Just a little snip of what I can give, someone else can elaborate on what I said.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plan A You can hit the cracks in the same area where you will probably get some more and satisfy yourself that you have more gold. Or Plan B Move upstream/downstream and carefully sample. This could take up the whole trip and you may or may not get more gold than last time. If you sample the whole trip you will know what you have in multiple areas and can plan an attack for your next visit. Plan C This is usually the one I do. Attack the previous spot or chosen area for half the allotted time. Then sample the rest of the time. The sampling will make you better at finding gold as your hands on knowledge increases. Good Luck.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said above, you can't sample enough ! Another piece of great advice I got was to Take notes, keep track of all that samplin' ! I have a small notebook w/ just some random dates and locations I went, and then I typically take a digital pic of my results. It's pretty nice to be able to look back and see pics of all the pans over the last yr., some great, some so-so....

I found a gravel bar last year that produced some decent color (for me)... So I have split my trips between that area & prospectin new spots. So far, I have actually failed to locate any new spots that I think have done as well, so I typically end up back at my old faithful spot.

Even then, I have worked (4) separate areas, all within sight of each other, & gotten Very Different results.

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've worked the Kingsland slab and even had a mile of the Llano River Claimed/Leased up until last July. I hit it with a 5" dredge for a week. Cleaning cracks in the bedrock was the most productive for me. The only problem with the cracks is that some were deeper than I could reach. I only ended up with a few grams for a weeks effort.....but at least I got some Texas Gold!

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Armcahir,
As you can see by the picture, the Llano uplift is vast.
DSCI0156.JPG
I am wondering if I should check out the high water lines or stick to the river.
I have found gold in the river and have a pretty good idea of where to find more but as this is more about the experience, although gold out of the river is awesome, finding mega deposits is not a priority.
I will be at the river for 4 days of my vacation and will have plenty of time to check areas out just want to hopefully check out the right places.
I have pictures of my final clean up on my camera but it is at work and not downloaded to this computer yet.
But wanting to brag on myself and the fact that there is gold to be found, I will post my first pan of the area I did find.
DSCI0179.JPG
Its all about new experience's before the gods of gold call my number for the big stream in the sky.
Next month I am going to take scuba lessons and get certified so I can get to them deep holes and dig to bedrock.

Thanks for all the replies everyone and I will post when I get back to town the 16th.

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
Fishnfacts. If You intend to prospect creeks and rivers it would help Your cause a lot if You took some time to read internet sources, look for books and articles about prospecting creeks, rivers and dry beds. You should think about subscribing to the Mining Journal as they have resources and monthly articles about prospecting different terrain. Their editor Ralph wrote an awesome book on prospecting and there are many others as well. For example, I have been prospecting for years, but before I go out next time I will re-read books on using a metal detector to get advice on settings etc., and books on drywashing techniques. Good luck in Your prospecting adventure. JB

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jbarker,
There is not a lot of information on gold prospecting in Texas as it is very limited areas that have workable gold exists. There is more silver and if my information is correct, Texas is the second largest producer of silver in the country or it may have been the world. I have checked streams in my local area just to see if some gold might exist and found some good size silver colors but it would still take a month of Sundays to pan out a few bucks. I do plan on panning a vial for my display case though.
I have read pretty much every article / reference that has to do with Texas gold. It is not even recognized as a gold bearing state although there are several mines in the Llano uplift area.
All of the prospectors in the gold bearing states, i.e. California for example I don't realize just how lucky they are to be able to pull gold on a regular basis from mother earth. One of these days I am going to make a trip out west and hopefully hook up with one of the prospectors that have been so helpful in my quest to be a regular gold prospector that is able to put Texas on the map for all of us who have the bug in in the Lonestar State.
Good thing is that since there are so few of us we don't have all the legal issues to deal with as the Environmentalists don't view us as a threat to their believed entitlement to all outdoor activities and sole overseer of our country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread