What mesh classifier do you usually use?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
For me I usually use a 1/4 in. homemade classifier for my AM sluice. Seems to be the right size for the sluice, although 1/8 would be better. I think the limit for sluices should be 1/2 in. classifiers, just my opinion.

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
H&F909ORO, I used to use the classifier from Garret, that one was two holes per inch but realized that I was letting to many big rocks into the sluice. Conveniently, I found a Keene 3/8 inch mesh classifier on the bank. :laughing7:

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With most of my sluices I use 1/2" classifier. They all handle the material fine. On my Gold Buddy mini Highbanker I will classify down to 1/4" and sometimes 1/8" if there is alot of clay.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
H&F909ORO, I used to use the classifier from Garret, that one was one hole per inch but realized that I was letting to many big rocks into the sluice. Conveniently, I found a Keene 2 inch mesh classifier on the bank. :laughing7:

2inch is like boulders going throw a small sluice :) try selling it.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I may doing to much but I start with ½ screen....I pan what does not go though it....then I use ¼ inch and sometimes 1/8 inch..I always pan what does not go though the screen...and yes I have found nuggets hiding in them....Art

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quarter inch classifier is the best in my experience. Knocks a lot of rocks off and has good grate for breaking up mud and clay. Depends on what the size of the gold is your finding. Eight inch classifiers are ok but you can toss pickers. Gotta judge your results as you go.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, yes I know you don't need to classify for a fluidbed, but what size mesh do you usually use for your normal sluice box? I usually use 2 holes per square inch. Pretty sure that's what it is. (found the classifier along a creek) Curious to see what sizes are used by you.

You want to classify based on the size of the gold available. Most times
I'll classify to 1/8", but can classify down to #20 mesh if I'm chasing
super fine stuff.

If the gold your working is no larger than #30 mesh, then you'll want
to classify to #12 and maybe down as far as #20 mesh...no sense
running all that extra aggregate through the sluice when the gold is
so small. You want to run a size larger mesh than the available gold
just in case there's a larger piece or small nugget.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dizzy hit the nail on the head. If most of the gold your getting is -30 mesh then you should classify as close to that size as possible but that's lots of extra effort so I used to go between 1/4 to 1/8th. Think of trying to trap a small piece of gold and then have a boulder (1/2" rock) come tumbling down...it's going to disturb lots of gold on its way out.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should classify to 1/4 or 1/8 for glacial gold...Personally from the Rockies west I would never go less than 3/8 for a sluice. ( fine gold comes from bigger gold) and panning I would go maybe a 1/4. Keep in mind the finer the screen the more time you will have to spend over that damned bucket classifier...so not digging and not recovering...that middle man sucks a lot. If you have fast flow and can get the end of the box out of the water shovel right into the box but run less than an inch a foot. Otherwise you should classify to the size of your riffles 3/8 riffles= 3/8 classifier... etc. Lower flow would be the reason to classify further( I just snipe) drop riffles are more forgiving. A bazooka takes care of it for you.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometmes I classify what comes out of the fluidbed on my supermini. Since it is a small amount I use a sifter with a handle from the kitchen section at Walmat. It looks to be about size 18 mesh. If I know there is going to be a lot of fines I will use a second sifter which is about size 26 or 28. The sifters are small and the screen portion folds flat in the pack. About 2-3 dollars each.

OP
OP
S

Sluiceguy42

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 3/8 holes per inch classifier seems to work just fine for me. As long as I am not classifying solid rock it works pretty good. The occasional small pebble it lets through usually won't make much of a difference. Don't really have the cash to buy a new classifier anyway, with all this new prospecting gear I want. The Garrett classifier really butchers the cons though.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THESE are a fluid beds and all others not-requires shaking motion,constant flow, shot matrix to work properly. Here are 2 fluidized bed rigs-Pan o matic(shotless) and the righteous Precision jig(shot rig) that has processed TONS of materials,that little ol' thang YEP with righteous results. This is also what I utilized on designing the PESCO drywasher with a constant feed of air and offset elliptical vibration motion(akin to panning) to fluidize the bed of the recovery box in the desert with air. -John

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_0662.jpg
    100_0662.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_0663.jpg
    100_0663.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_0664.jpg
    100_0664.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 241

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Regardless of what size classifier you use to classify your materials with before processing ALWAYS check what doesn't go through for larger pieces of gold. If the area you're working in is known for say 1/8" pieces then use a 1/4" screen and check it well before ya chuck it over into the trash pile.

Last trip out to our claim I wanted to see something. I was classifying down to 1/4" but running it through a 1/2" first. Everything went into separate buckets. When I was done, I figured out that I had to dig just under three buckets of materials to get a single buckets worth that was ready to run. No wonder I came back so worn out!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have a drop riffle sluice. i just throw my 1/2" classifier in my bucket and go that route. seems to work fine. i did try 1/4" but it just took to long to get usable material in my opinion. With the right waterflow, my sluice just rolled the rocks off the end just fine at 1/2"

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I have a mini-BGT, and have applied floats to it. If it's floating, clearing the grizzly is near impossible, so I classify to -4 (for holes per inch). If the BGT is on the bottom, then might classify to -2 as I think that size of pebble makes the BGT sort properly. If panning, I usually classify to -8. Last time I was out, I ran into a little pocket with many pickers. I should have classified to -4, but instead, poked around in the classifier a lot to make sure I wasn't throwing the "baby" out with the bathwater.

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on what kind of gold you get in your area

If you get mostly flour gold use a smaller screen(1/8 or 1/12 inch)

If you get more course gold use a 1/4 or 1/2 inch classifier

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"For feeding the stream bed sluice" I always use # 2, or half inch, classifier..IMHO, any sluice box should be able to handle half inch.. assuming you have a decent water flow and it's adjusted right.. the only time I ever use anything smaller is for clean-up...

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Last weekend I went out and classified everything to 1/4". I set a small tote by my sluice, filled it half way with water, carried the buckets to the tote, and classified into the tote. I found it much easier and faster to classify due to a fuller range of motion when shaking the classifier. I used to use a 1/2" classifier for everything but not anymore. I like to take a full bucket, start with one pan at 1/2" and work my way down to the size of gold for area. I can classify 6 buckets into my tote then sit back and slowly feed my sluice. When my tote is empty, it's handy for the cleanup if i decide to do one.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last weekend I went out and classified everything to 1/4". I set a small tote by my sluice, filled it half way with water, carried the buckets to the tote, and classified into the tote. I found it much easier and faster to classify due to a fuller range of motion when shaking the classifier. I used to use a 1/2" classifier for everything but not anymore. I like to take a full bucket, start with one pan at 1/2" and work my way down to the size of gold for area. I can classify 6 buckets into my tote then sit back and slowly feed my sluice. When my tote is empty, it's handy for the cleanup if i decide to do one.

QN, sounds like you could use one of these:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/404814-building-oversized-classifer.html

I have to classify to 1/8"- for the Gold Cube, and it typically
takes 21-22 3gal. buckets of material to fill the 30 gal. tub.
From that, I would get 7-8 3gal. buckets of 1/8"-.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread