What mesh classifier do you usually use?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What mesh classifier do you usually use?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2014
    13 times
    Prospecting

What mesh classifier do you usually use?

Yes, yes I know you don't need to classify for a fluidbed, but what size mesh do you usually use for your normal sluice box? I usually use 3/8 mesh. Curious to see what sizes are used by you.
    Last edited by Sluiceguy42; Jun 07, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
    There are two rules to success:
    1. Never reveal everything you know

us
    Dec 2013
    California East Bay
    243 times
    Gold Prospecting
    For me I usually use a 1/4 in. homemade classifier for my AM sluice. Seems to be the right size for the sluice, although 1/8 would be better. I think the limit for sluices should be 1/2 in. classifiers, just my opinion.

us
    Jun 2014
    13 times
    Prospecting
    H&F909ORO, I used to use the classifier from Garret, that one was two holes per inch but realized that I was letting to many big rocks into the sluice. Conveniently, I found a Keene 3/8 inch mesh classifier on the bank.
    Last edited by Sluiceguy42; Jun 07, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    839 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    With most of my sluices I use 1/2" classifier. They all handle the material fine. On my Gold Buddy mini Highbanker I will classify down to 1/4" and sometimes 1/8" if there is alot of clay.
    goldenmojo and Sluiceguy42 like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    California East Bay
    243 times
    Gold Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluiceguy42 View Post
    H&F909ORO, I used to use the classifier from Garret, that one was one hole per inch but realized that I was letting to many big rocks into the sluice. Conveniently, I found a Keene 2 inch mesh classifier on the bank.
    2inch is like boulders going throw a small sluice try selling it.

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    1064 times
    I may doing to much but I start with ½ screen....I pan what does not go though it....then I use ¼ inch and sometimes 1/8 inch..I always pan what does not go though the screen...and yes I have found nuggets hiding in them....Art

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1681 times
    Metal Detecting
    A quarter inch classifier is the best in my experience. Knocks a lot of rocks off and has good grate for breaking up mud and clay. Depends on what the size of the gold is your finding. Eight inch classifiers are ok but you can toss pickers. Gotta judge your results as you go.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6047 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluiceguy42 View Post
    Yes, yes I know you don't need to classify for a fluidbed, but what size mesh do you usually use for your normal sluice box? I usually use 2 holes per square inch. Pretty sure that's what it is. (found the classifier along a creek) Curious to see what sizes are used by you.
    You want to classify based on the size of the gold available. Most times
    I'll classify to 1/8", but can classify down to #20 mesh if I'm chasing
    super fine stuff.

If the gold your working is no larger than #30 mesh, then you'll want
    to classify to #12 and maybe down as far as #20 mesh...no sense
    running all that extra aggregate through the sluice when the gold is
    so small. You want to run a size larger mesh than the available gold
    just in case there's a larger piece or small nugget.
    omnicron, UTAvalanche and QNCrazy like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Jun 2012
    Caldwell, Idaho
    410 times
    Prospecting
    Dizzy hit the nail on the head. If most of the gold your getting is -30 mesh then you should classify as close to that size as possible but that's lots of extra effort so I used to go between 1/4 to 1/8th. Think of trying to trap a small piece of gold and then have a boulder (1/2" rock) come tumbling down...it's going to disturb lots of gold on its way out.
    goldenmojo likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11989 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    You should classify to 1/4 or 1/8 for glacial gold...Personally from the Rockies west I would never go less than 3/8 for a sluice. ( fine gold comes from bigger gold) and panning I would go maybe a 1/4. Keep in mind the finer the screen the more time you will have to spend over that damned bucket classifier...so not digging and not recovering...that middle man sucks a lot. If you have fast flow and can get the end of the box out of the water shovel right into the box but run less than an inch a foot. Otherwise you should classify to the size of your riffles 3/8 riffles= 3/8 classifier... etc. Lower flow would be the reason to classify further( I just snipe) drop riffles are more forgiving. A bazooka takes care of it for you.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4711 times
    Prospecting
    Sometmes I classify what comes out of the fluidbed on my supermini. Since it is a small amount I use a sifter with a handle from the kitchen section at Walmat. It looks to be about size 18 mesh. If I know there is going to be a lot of fines I will use a second sifter which is about size 26 or 28. The sifters are small and the screen portion folds flat in the pack. About 2-3 dollars each.

us
    Jun 2014
    13 times
    Prospecting
    The 3/8 holes per inch classifier seems to work just fine for me. As long as I am not classifying solid rock it works pretty good. The occasional small pebble it lets through usually won't make much of a difference. Don't really have the cash to buy a new classifier anyway, with all this new prospecting gear I want. The Garrett classifier really butchers the cons though.
    Last edited by Sluiceguy42; Jun 07, 2014 at 02:34 PM.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6667 times
    THESE are a fluid beds and all others not-requires shaking motion,constant flow, shot matrix to work properly. Here are 2 fluidized bed rigs-Pan o matic(shotless) and the righteous Precision jig(shot rig) that has processed TONS of materials,that little ol' thang YEP with righteous results. This is also what I utilized on designing the PESCO drywasher with a constant feed of air and offset elliptical vibration motion(akin to panning) to fluidize the bed of the recovery box in the desert with air. -John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1005088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0662.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1005089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0663.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1005090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0664.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1005091  

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Regardless of what size classifier you use to classify your materials with before processing ALWAYS check what doesn't go through for larger pieces of gold. If the area you're working in is known for say 1/8" pieces then use a 1/4" screen and check it well before ya chuck it over into the trash pile.

Last trip out to our claim I wanted to see something. I was classifying down to 1/4" but running it through a 1/2" first. Everything went into separate buckets. When I was done, I figured out that I had to dig just under three buckets of materials to get a single buckets worth that was ready to run. No wonder I came back so worn out!
    goldenmojo and Goodyguy like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    i have a drop riffle sluice. i just throw my 1/2" classifier in my bucket and go that route. seems to work fine. i did try 1/4" but it just took to long to get usable material in my opinion. With the right waterflow, my sluice just rolled the rocks off the end just fine at 1/2"
    Goldwasher and Goodyguy like this.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links