A one pan sample

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well folks, I got permision from the owner of a site that used be literally be a gold mine. He told me I can pan the streams anytime I want. 88acers in all! This is the one test pan I did before I got home from work. Had to make it quick so I could get dinner to the kids! It's tiny, it's one spec, but damn if it ain't gold!

Edit: just realized how terrible that picture is. Look right in the center top of the pan.

Attachments

• image-3112334608.jpg
    image-3112334608.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Completely different. Very sandy and not much rock. But I was paying attention to the way the stream moved. Where the gravels did gather is where I dug. There's 3 creeks that feed into 1 I was at the mouth of all 3.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting permission to pan the creeks on 88 acres and on finding Gold! I wish I had permission to only a few acres much less 88 acres! The first time you really have some time to do some digging and panning, pick a good spot on inside bend in a creek or stream and a little downstream of the bend. Sample the spot well, making sure to go as deep is possible. Now, if you hit some Clay layers, you will probably find more Gold in the top portion of it but keep going. There may be more Clay layers with Gold sitting in the top of each one. You want to try to get down past all of these to bedrock or alluvial gravels where the bigger Gold (i.e. Nuggets) settled long ago. While the inside bend of a creek or stream is most likely to have more Gold than straights or outside bends in them, it would be best to explore an entire creek or stream on the property if you are getting good amounts of Gold. Good luck and please report back any success!

Frank

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was at the mouth of the 3 creeks. It had a small sand bar with gravels in the middle. I dug right in the gravels.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at the mouth of the 3 creeks. It had a small sand bar with gravels in the middle. I dug right in the gravels.

Next time, try the downstream edge of the sand/gravel bar as this is usually where Gold moving downstream ends up. Also, make sure to try the inside bends as I suggested. Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do, also this stream is notorious for flooding. There's a lot of sand gravel and sticks in the bank. Is that worth investigating or a waste of time?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do, also this stream is notorious for flooding. There's a lot of sand
gravel and sticks in the bank. Is that worth investigating or a waste of time?

Hell yes it's worth investigating! :icon_thumright:

Worst you might do is spend a few hours taking samples
from around the property. Check the stream edges for cracks,
crevices, pieces of bedrock, etc., and don't forget to check
other dry land spots around the claim that may hold gold!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see it. Must be doing something right.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No exposed bedrock anywhere around the creek. It is SMALLas far as creeks are concerned.i could dam it up easy for a sluice. But getting rocks big enough to dam it is going to be an issue.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What type of mining did they do previously. If there was/is an adit onsite I would work directly downstream from that.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sadly i dont know the exact location of the mine itself. i have an old map that i was handed by an older gentleman who owned a different creek in the area. He said he was too old to use the information and would like to pass it on to someone (BONUS!). the map only shows the whole property as (not going to say the name. dont want to give away my spot just yet) "Blank family gold mine". All 88 acres of the property are highlighted as the mine itself. i do know that less than 1 mile away they had a mine for flour gold in the area.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IM TRYING!! Seems the wife has something planned every weekend this summer! Going to Rock City and Ruby Falls tomorrow with the wife and kidos. My daughter(4) is SUPER excited about it.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok gents. Took off from work way early today to hit the 88 acres property I got permission to prospect in. I was there for about 6 hours and just did my final cleanup of the day. I have to say I'm literally prospecting on a gold mine. Used the drop riffle sluice that Goldwasher sent me. Seems to be doing just fine!

Attachments

• image-1425855747.jpg
    image-1425855747.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image-887564956.jpg
    image-887564956.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 139
  • image-343945593.jpg
    image-343945593.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 146

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok gents. Took off from work way early today to hit the 88 acres property I got permission to prospect in. I was there for about 6 hours and just did my final cleanup of the day. I have to say I'm literally prospecting on a gold mine. Used the drop riffle sluice that Goldwasher sent me. Seems to be doing just fine!

Looks great Duck!! :). Keep going

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: she sure holds that fine gold doesn't she

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sure does GW! i could not belive my eyes when the BS was washed away to reveal all the shiny yellow gold. Man its so exciting, makes me feel like a child again. Cant wait to get out there again. No telling when that will be though :dontknow:

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a site to see DW! Looks like you got some crazy fun sluicing to do now....I hope it gets better and better every pan! Now how do we work out a 44/44 acre split? :laughing7:

Well done and keep digging! Don't hold back on showing us the monsters that are coming! :goldbar:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread