A one pan sample
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: A one pan sample

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    Well folks, I got permision from the owner of a site that used be literally be a gold mine. He told me I can pan the streams anytime I want. 88acers in all! This is the one test pan I did before I got home from work. Had to make it quick so I could get dinner to the kids! It's tiny, it's one spec, but damn if it ain't gold!

Edit: just realized how terrible that picture is. Look right in the center top of the pan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3112334608.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	1005229  
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    Completely different. Very sandy and not much rock. But I was paying attention to the way the stream moved. Where the gravels did gather is where I dug. There's 3 creeks that feed into 1 I was at the mouth of all 3.
    Last edited by Duckwalk; Jun 05, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Nitric, goldenmojo and Aufisher like this.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6713 times
    Congrats on getting permission to pan the creeks on 88 acres and on finding Gold! I wish I had permission to only a few acres much less 88 acres! The first time you really have some time to do some digging and panning, pick a good spot on inside bend in a creek or stream and a little downstream of the bend. Sample the spot well, making sure to go as deep is possible. Now, if you hit some Clay layers, you will probably find more Gold in the top portion of it but keep going. There may be more Clay layers with Gold sitting in the top of each one. You want to try to get down past all of these to bedrock or alluvial gravels where the bigger Gold (i.e. Nuggets) settled long ago. While the inside bend of a creek or stream is most likely to have more Gold than straights or outside bends in them, it would be best to explore an entire creek or stream on the property if you are getting good amounts of Gold. Good luck and please report back any success!

Frank
    Nitric, Oregon Viking and Aufisher like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    I was at the mouth of the 3 creeks. It had a small sand bar with gravels in the middle. I dug right in the gravels.
    Aufisher likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckwalk View Post
    I was at the mouth of the 3 creeks. It had a small sand bar with gravels in the middle. I dug right in the gravels.
    Next time, try the downstream edge of the sand/gravel bar as this is usually where Gold moving downstream ends up. Also, make sure to try the inside bends as I suggested. Good luck!

Frank
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    Will do, also this stream is notorious for flooding. There's a lot of sand gravel and sticks in the bank. Is that worth investigating or a waste of time?
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6627 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckwalk View Post
    Will do, also this stream is notorious for flooding. There's a lot of sand
    gravel and sticks in the bank. Is that worth investigating or a waste of time?
    Hell yes it's worth investigating!

Worst you might do is spend a few hours taking samples
    from around the property. Check the stream edges for cracks,
    crevices, pieces of bedrock, etc., and don't forget to check
    other dry land spots around the claim that may hold gold!
    Aufisher likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Sep 2012
    Tujunga, CA
    Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
    1001 times
    Prospecting
    I see it. Must be doing something right.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    No exposed bedrock anywhere around the creek. It is SMALLas far as creeks are concerned.i could dam it up easy for a sluice. But getting rocks big enough to dam it is going to be an issue.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4739 times
    Prospecting
    What type of mining did they do previously. If there was/is an adit onsite I would work directly downstream from that.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    sadly i dont know the exact location of the mine itself. i have an old map that i was handed by an older gentleman who owned a different creek in the area. He said he was too old to use the information and would like to pass it on to someone (BONUS!). the map only shows the whole property as (not going to say the name. dont want to give away my spot just yet) "Blank family gold mine". All 88 acres of the property are highlighted as the mine itself. i do know that less than 1 mile away they had a mine for flour gold in the area.
    Last edited by Duckwalk; Jun 06, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10988 times
    Prospecting
    Go Ducky!
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    IM TRYING!! Seems the wife has something planned every weekend this summer! Going to Rock City and Ruby Falls tomorrow with the wife and kidos. My daughter(4) is SUPER excited about it.
    Prospector70 and Aufisher like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    1304 times
    Prospecting
    Ok gents. Took off from work way early today to hit the 88 acres property I got permission to prospect in. I was there for about 6 hours and just did my final cleanup of the day. I have to say I'm literally prospecting on a gold mine. Used the drop riffle sluice that Goldwasher sent me. Seems to be doing just fine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1425855747.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	425.2 KB 
ID:	1006877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-887564956.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	1006878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-343945593.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	457.8 KB 
ID:	1006879  

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10988 times
    Prospecting
    You win!
    goldenmojo and Aufisher like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links