Exciting Day

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So today I went on a sniping trip to the middle fork American. I got down there pretty early around 7 or so. I started down river to find the spot I found last year and wanted to try sniping. I came to this big bar full of cobbles sand and gravels and notices a lion print. Looked pretty fresh to me but didn't think much of it. I figured it could have been from the night before. I continued along a wall of brush and trees between me and the river. I saw an opening where I could see the water so I decided to go check it out and see if there was any bedrock to snipe. I came around the corner and the mountain lion who's tracks I had seen was standing right there about 5 feet away from me. He wasn't a huge one just a little bigger than a large German shepherd. As soon as I saw him I let out a "HOLY S***!!!!!!!" And started pounding my walking stick against the cobbles and ran towards him a little ways. He was gone in a matter of seconds.. Lol. Despite how I reacted to seeing him that made my whole trip. It's amazing to see one of those animals up close in the wild. I know he could have torn me to shreds if he wanted to but he didn't want any trouble he was just getting a drink at the waters edge when a human came along and started yelling and slapping a stick around. Well anyways after that experience I decided to turn back and find another area to snipe away from Mr. Kitty. I found an area where the bedrock slopes down and had some little valleys in it. So I threw my wetsuit on and jumped in and sniped until about 10:30ish the water level started changing pretty drastically. I think it came up about 5 or more feet in an hour. So I ended up getting flooded out of my sniping hole because I couldn't reach the bottom anymore and the water was too swift and cold for me to want to dive down over and over. Here's some pictures. One of the kitty tracks, quartz/gold picker I found, and the total. Only got a gram but would have done much better if the water level didn't come up. Video on the way too but it will take a minute because I have to post from my computer. The video isn't that great but it's pretty difficult to snipe and film at the same time. I just did the recovery of one piece that I found today.

image-3403199834.jpg

Attachments

• image-697442894.jpg
    image-697442894.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 174
  • image-1111889487.jpg
    image-1111889487.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Decimated is a funny word to use here. What has happened is a return to the natural balance of predator and prey animals. To counter their "attack from the back" strategy, stick "eyes" on the back of a hat...this will fake them out and make you safer...really!

Maybe bring the grizzly back and return the natural balance, I would suggest planting them in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco first. Good luck with that eyes on the back of your hat defense.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mountain lions, Fox, and Coyote are very common in my neck of the woods. the lions are a bit more rare to see but we know they are here. ive had more than a few cats killed by coyotes in the past and we have a family of Foxes that live in the woods where i am. we see them walking the road in the wee hours of the mornings. my neighbor has chickens so him and myself always check the pin before we hit the sack to make sure nothing has scaled the wire or dug underneath. ive killed more coyotes than i can count out here. they are a pain in the arse. always getting my hunting dogs riled up and killing my daughters cats. I get tired trying to explain to her that outside in the woods is no place for a pet cat.

Edit: im not a mindless killer of coyotes BTW. i only kill them on sight because i know what diseases they carry and that they can pass them on to my dogs. Rabies is a real threat down here in GA when it comes to coyotes and even the raccoon. if you see a raccoon out in the day time, chances are its either literally starving to death in search of food, or it has rabies.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right..no cats should be allowed in the woods!
Because we live in wilderness area, we built an enclosure for them, and they have access to house threw ramp that goes into house, but never access after dark..they need to be kept safe!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes i agree. i literally live in the woods. there are 6 houses where i live on a road cut out of the woods away from modern civilization.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In other countries where they have bigger cats natives mount spears on their backs so if a cat jumps them from behind it gets impaled. Don't think that's really necessary around here though it's a pretty good idea.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For some it's better, but I wouldn't have another "indoor
only" cat. Seems to me all they do is eat, shed, sleep, use
the litter box and then sleep some more. JMHO, of course...:laughing7:

All three of my cats grew up feral, and over time I was able
to socialize them..at least to a degree. 2 of them will leave
only a vapor trail if anyone but my wife, my neighbor or
me approach them. One (Fat Tom) turned into a complete
clown, and loves everybody.

Wife and I live in a rural, rainforest area deep in Skagit
Valley, which is 10 miles north of Oso, where the recent
devastating slide happened.

Here's a shot of the backyard..

house 010509 014.jpg

These cats know the dangers, and have learned to deal
with them and survive. We frequently have coyotes and
bobcat in the area, they see raccoon on a daily basis,
the sky is filled with Bald eagles in the daytime, and big old
owls at night. My youngest cat is 8, so they must be doin'
something right. Several years back I had to shoot a
bobcat right in our front yard. Poor old thing was in it's
late, late years, and no longer had the tools to hunt, so
she was catching house cats for chow.

I know it's always a risk I could lose one, but a cat needs
to be out doing cat stuff, and like any cat they like to wander
their area, fight for it if need be, and hunt little critters to
keep dad happy..:icon_thumleft:

They don't travel far off the reservation they've claimed,
which covers an area about 2 acres in size. First sign of
a dog entering their turf, they head for the front porch where
they know it's safe.

Beauty is, the mice and mole populations are kept in check 8-)

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe bring the grizzly back and return the natural balance, I would suggest planting them in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco first. Good luck with that eyes on the back of your hat defense.

Yes - the re-pristiner greenies conveniently ignore the Golden bear on the calif. state flag is a Grizzly bear. You don't see any mass petitions calling for re-introduction of the grizzly, do you ? Come on you enviros - lets restore the natural, delicate balance of the fragile eco-system in the Sierra !! For that matter,
where are the vast herds of Elk in the valleys and foothills ? Could it be they might trample your vineyards ? Can't have native species screwing up your non-native acres of wine grapes. As Hoser says, sic, sic, sic. :icon_scratch:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Far as I know, Elk aren't native to Calif., but were
transplanted there by Roosevelt long ago. They've
still got a decent Tule Elk herd in N. Cal. as far as I
know (unless they've been poached out).

Re-introduction of the Grizzly might also bring down
overpopulation of mountain lion, as the two would
be competing for the same food sources. Downside
would be that grizzlies eat a lot of red meat, and the
deer and Elk population would suffer as a result, but
they would eventually balance out after a few decades.

How's California's Wolf population?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike - I'm no expert on Elk, but have read accounts of pre-gold rush descriptions of large elk herds. As for the wolf, there is one wandering around norcal, or not, lol.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Fullpan, there is a neo enviormental group calling for renintroduction of both the grizzly and the timber wolf

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see a greenie go up against a grizzly on some hiking trail armed with bear spray...

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my wife carries bear spray in her purse instead of pepper spray. ive never been hit with bear spray but once i dropped my keys while falling into my driver seat while closing the door all at the same time and crushed a small key chain pepper spray. it engulfed the entire car. snot, tear, and drool were everywhere. i couldnt catch a breath to save my life :laughing7:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is how the Canadians warn you:

andi-warning1.jpg~original

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
NuggetN8, I'm impressed that you were able to sneak up on a mountain lion! I always try to make noise just because I don't want to surprise anything!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going back to the same area Saturday to do more sniping. Bringing a buddy this time just in case lol. I'll bring a camera and have it ready if I see fresh tracks again.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bells on your shoes?

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think bells might actually attract a cougar... Cats are curious animals. I'd be like a giant jingling cat toy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread