Day in NM mining tailings

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over the last weekend took a trip to Oro Grande to test out my luck. When I first drove up there had no clue were I could find gold. Never mined in a desert climate before. Anyways I found a little dirt road off the side of the main highway. I met a friendly old man named Jim, who was apart of the local prospector club and let me work their claim. Jim said it was an old nugget mine in the early 20's and basically were tossing all the finer gold, and let me run his dry washer for awhile figured it was the least I could do. I made a recirculating sluice and ran about 8 5 gallon buckets and found some pretty good gold! DSCF0332.JPG DSCF0336.JPG DSCF0341.JPG DSCF0349.JPG

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a good time and quite an adventure :)

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah, me too! I'd definitely want to go with an experienced miner!

Yes it is pretty confusing lol.... I figured if I dug down to bedrock, thought I would find the best gold.... Nope. Found like 10 tiny specks. But 2 feet above the bedrock finding pickers all day long!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it is pretty confusing lol.... I figured if I dug down to bedrock, thought I would find the best gold.... Nope. Found like 10 tiny specks. But 2 feet above the bedrock finding pickers all day long!
wow, cool!

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read that in the desert environment that bedrock is not always the best for gold since there's not enough water to actually fluidize the gravels and sands to let the gold drop to bedrock. A lot of nuggets only found inches deep!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread