Money Cache found in Illinois dated on written bank notes April 9th 1934

T

TDMagee07

Hello
I am a old time treasure finder, in the last 5 years I have just about found all I could.

I am most interested in 1900 to 1950 bank robberies. After following up on a lead I found a cache (small green suitcase) in Palos Heights, Illinois buried in a old foundation of a home. The money was dated with a old rubber stamp April 9th, 1934. the name on the taped slip that holds 10's and 5's were from the First Reserve Bank of Black Oaks, Illinois. In 1934 the City of Oak lawn Illinois was known as Black Oaks. from what I found at this Foundation tells me that it either was a safe house or just a Bankers Lodge.

Due to that fact that the rail road tracks were 1 mile from this location, any history buff would know what that means, and if you do, would love to hear from you and find out if you can help me. Serious people only. not interested to sell my treasure, infact I am Showing it for a School prodject then i am putting it away for my grand children and their children.

If you know of any history about the Black Oaks Train Derailment or The lost case please help me end this long journey I started for myself. But please no FAKER'S i know enough history and will know the FAKER's to the REAL. I need help to see if anyone may have had family in black oaks and possible pictures of this bank in Black Oaks.
Called the Goverment and they will not release info as of this. As for the Money was told it was a good find and enjoy forthe future..

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the board.

Yes the area was know as Black Oaks, or
Black Oaks Grove at one time.

"In 1934 the City of Oak lawn Illinois was known as Black Oaks." ???
???

The 1880s brought several changes in the area. The Wabash Railroad connected the area with Chicago; the first subdivision was platted near the train station; and the community was formally called Oak Lawn for the first time. (It had briefly been called Agnes in the early 1880s, and was occasionally referred to as Oak Park.)

1909, was the year of incorporation as Oak Lawn.
??? ::)

Your statement that:
"In 1934 the City of Oak lawn Illinois was known as Black Oaks."
::) :P

That is about all I have.
I am also an old time treasure finder, and in the last 5 years I have just about found all the horseshoes in the Palos area.

Must get back to counting my finds. ;) ;D

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
TDMagee07 said:
Hello
I am a old time treasure finder, in the last 5 years I have just about found all I could.

I am most interested in 1900 to 1950 bank robberies. After following up on a lead I found a cache (small green suitcase) in Palos Heights, Illinois buried in a old foundation of a home. The money was dated with a old rubber stamp April 9th, 1934. the name on the taped slip that holds 10's and 5's were from the First Reserve Bank of Black Oaks, Illinois. In 1934 the City of Oak lawn Illinois was known as Black Oaks. from what I found at this Foundation tells me that it either was a safe house or just a Bankers Lodge.

Due to that fact that the rail road tracks were 1 mile from this location, any history buff would know what that means, and if you do, would love to hear from you and find out if you can help me. Serious people only. not interested to sell my treasure, infact I am Showing it for a School prodject then i am putting it away for my grand children and their children.

If you know of any history about the Black Oaks Train Derailment or The lost case please help me end this long journey I started for myself. But please no FAKER'S i know enough history and will know the FAKER's to the REAL. I need help to see if anyone may have had family in black oaks and possible pictures of this bank in Black Oaks.
Called the Goverment and they will not release info as of this. As for the Money was told it was a good find and enjoy forthe future..

I don't know if John Dillinger was involved in any bank robbery in April, 1934, but he was in the area. The following two paragraphs are a quote of information that can be found here:
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...34+robbery&svnum=100&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G

"From April 5 to 8, 1934, Dillinger and Frechette visited his family in Mooresville. The gathering was a happy one that included a Sunday dinner. The following day, Dillinger and Frechette drove to Chicago, where she was arrested by D.O.I. special agents.

Because of his fame, life was becoming increasingly difficult for Dillinger. He and Van Meter underwent plastic surgery on May 27, 1934, at the home of Jimmy Probasco, a bar owner with connections to the Chicago Syndicate. The two men spent the following month recuperating at Probasco's house."

There is also mention of bank a robbery on January 15, 1934, where a police officer by the name of O'Malley was killed.

A single paragraph quoted from:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dillinger/sfeature/sf_crimespree.html
"June 30, 1934
South Bend, Indiana
The Dillinger gang robs the Merchants National Bank of $30,000, killing one officer and wounding four bystanders."

On July 22, 1934, Dillinger walked into a D.O.I. ambush. John Dillinger was shot twice, and died instantly.

I don't know where you found the cache, as I've never been to Palos Heights, or Illinois for that matter, but banks do transfer funds from one to another for various reasons. And just because there was still a bank band around the notes, doesn't mean it wasn't stolen in a train robbery, or some other type of robbery. I do wonder where Dillinger got the money for the plastic surgery though. Between April 8th when he was visiting his family in Mooresville, Illinois and May 24th when he had his plastic surgery, he was in the area, as I mentioned earlier. I don't know what town he was in when having the surgery though, but I'm sure the information is out there somewhere.

Hope some of this is of use.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions