wave table question

Robo57

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post, so be gentle. I am building a miller or wave table. my first was a aluminum table with black chalkboard paint. I used a simple small pond pump. Results were good but I wanted to do a little better job on the metal work. I also wanted to build one with a black magic type mat, so it would be easier to add a collection vial. All went well with one exception. I seem to struggle with the water flow the mat seems to tend to cause the water to separate from the sides and flow down the middle more or less. Lowering the slope causes it to spread out, but hampers the movement of the sands, so it takes a lot of work to get the material to move down. I am thinking of options. Maybe a high volume pump would help, and add a valve for fine adjustment, then I might be able to increase flow and slope to the right amounts. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you post pics of what you have already built?
Increasing the water flow will help and you can try adding some sort of damper. Some people use a mat to smooth and spread the water over the entire surface but I find bristles work better

OP
OP
R

Robo57

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try and get pics up tomorrow. I have miner's moss under the spray bar, and the duct brand matting.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
First post, so be gentle. I am building a miller or wave table. my first was a aluminum table with black chalkboard paint. I used a simple small pond pump. Results were good but I wanted to do a little better job on the metal work. I also wanted to build one with a black magic type mat, so it would be easier to add a collection vial. All went well with one exception. I seem to struggle with the water flow the mat seems to tend to cause the water to separate from the sides and flow down the middle more or less. Lowering the slope causes it to spread out, but hampers the movement of the sands, so it takes a lot of work to get the material to move down. I am thinking of options. Maybe a high volume pump would help, and add a valve for fine adjustment, then I might be able to increase flow and slope to the right amounts. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Hi Robo57

It is good that you are building your own equipment. The idea that you need diffuse water flow for best operation is a good one.
I encountered the same problem when I was building my small wave table. I would think that miner's moss would have too coarse
openings. You might try a finer mat(smaller openings).

By the way- A miller table and a wave table are very different devices. A wave table uses mechanical action to produce standing waves and sorts material by specific gravity. Contary to miller tables- size and weight of particles-hydraulic equivalence does not apply for wave tables- just specific gravity. I will post a video of my small wave table when I get some vacation time from work.

George

OP
OP
R

Robo57

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I guess you are right I should have said water table. I would love to see video of the wave table. I tried a larger pump his evening, and can up then flow, but it starts to cause foaming with the jet dry. I will try lighter smaller matting under the spray bar. I saw where azviper said to use a specific valve not a ball valve. where do you get that valve, and what mat do you suggest.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
A needle type valve commonly found at Home Depot will give you a more precise flow than a ball valve. Any type sponge material will work as a mat such as you can find in the cleaning section of WalMart. I use blue furnace filter but my flow requirements may be different than yours.

George

OP
OP
R

Robo57

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh7eqnijkmcy3j/VID_20140618_071214_028.mp4[/video]
A needle type valve commonly found at Home Depot will give you a more precise flow than a ball valve. Any type sponge material will work as a mat such as you can find in the cleaning section of WalMart. I use blue furnace filter but my flow requirements may be different than yours.

George

Here is a video showing the table

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh7eqnijkmcy3j/VID_20140618_071214_028.mp4

Hope this helps clear up the issues. This was shot before adding the larger pump. The angle of the fall I very light, and not enough to ash off the sand even blonds. Adding the bigger pump caused foaming issues. I will change out the flow matting under the spray bar , and add a needle valve and re test. I will try to shoot another video showing the flow issue specifically.

Last edited:

Rosey Morgan

Feb 16, 2019
Dawnzer Lee Light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Robo57

It is good that you are building your own equipment. The idea that you need diffuse water flow for best operation is a good one.
I encountered the same problem when I was building my small wave table. I would think that miner's moss would have too coarse
openings. You might try a finer mat(smaller openings).

By the way- A miller table and a wave table are very different devices. A wave table uses mechanical action to produce standing waves and sorts material by specific gravity. Contary to miller tables- size and weight of particles-hydraulic equivalence does not apply for wave tables- just specific gravity. I will post a video of my small wave table when I get some vacation time from work.

George

are you still alive and kickin'? Miss you!

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thoughts on this, most miners take their cons to a shop that specialize in gold recovery from black sands, this is a time consuming process and time is money.

Rosey Morgan

Feb 16, 2019
Dawnzer Lee Light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thoughts on this, most miners take their cons to a shop that specialize in gold recovery from black sands, this is a time consuming process and time is money.

Do these shops advertise? Can you drop some names? I only knew of one in Wasilla Alaska, and it went broke and closed after a couple years. Has someone else started up one up there in AK and is making a go of it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do this type mill work.
Black sands, crush ore, table work.
I also do field assay work,
BB mining co, Dale mining district.
Twentynine palms.Ca.