Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mar 2007
    2 times

IS THERE GOLD IN COLVERT PIPES

HI IM NEW HEAR, I DON,T GET OUT MUCH BECOUSE OF WORK . BUT I LIVE UP IN THE MOTHERLODE AND DRIVE LOGGING TRUCK UP IN THE MOUNTAINS AND I CAN GET PRITTY FAR BACK IN THE WOODS . AND IM ALWAYS DRIVING OVER OLD COLVERT PIPES SET IN THE LOGGING ROADS FOR SEASONAL CREEKS .MOST OF THE TIME THESE PIPES ARE ABOUT 20 FT LONG AND I WAS THANKING THAT GOLD WOULD COLLECT IN THE RIPPELS .HAS ANY ONE EVER PANNED OUT THE RIPPELS AND HAD ANY LUCK.

us
    May 2006
    Mesa, AZ
    None
    294 times
    Prospecting

Re: IS THERE GOLD IN COLVERT PIPES

That's a great place to look if you ask me!
    Sincerely,
    Randy Wright
    History Lover

us
    Jul 2006
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Garrett Ace 250
    17 times

Mr. Duke: First off, Welcome to TN! Secondly, You may have a heck of an opportunity there! I say, Go for it!
    You may hit the Mother Lode!

HH Joe
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
                          Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!

Feb 2007
    Turners Falls MA

Hi MrDuke,

Colverts are a good place to look for gold. I have not done it much but did fairly well when I did. Have a friend that does colverts, and swears by them. So definately go for it.

Brad

Mar 2007
    2 times

THANKS GUYS FOR THE ADVICE .

Nov 2003
    Abbotsford/Okanagan B.C., CANADA!
    9 times

Some guys I know of, down in Arizona, vac. pac. and drywash material from culverts.. and do damned well. ..Willy.

Mar 2007
    2 times

THANKS WILLY I WAS WONDERING HOW I WAS GOING TO DO IT ,VACUME IT OUT THEN PAN IT .SOUNDS GOOD TO ME .

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
    3 times

MRDUKE;

I've also found the area within a hundred feet of a culvert can be a good place to look later in the season when water levels drop. As with streams and rivers, look for a wider area where the water slows down. Often this is just before the culvert where other materials get drawn into the culvert but the heavy stuff settles to the bottom.

My first nugget, find after a summer of learning to pan, came as I was walking over along a logging road that passed over a tiny "ditch". Wasn't really a ditch, but too small to call a stream. I looked down into the water which was only about 6 inches deep and there were 2 nice little nuggets of about 1/3 ounce total. This was up in central British Columbia, but I'm fairly certain its a common place for nuggets to be found.

F.
    Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

Apr 2006
    Ventura, CA
    LST
    9 times

I've seen the guy on 'Gold Fever' show on tv. do culverts. Seems that he got some color from them. One was in the city of Los Angeles and he had to squeeze past a fence to get in. Had gang grafitti all over the walls. I heard that after the filming the cops came and chased him out, but I'm not sure of that. They do constitute natural riffles. Look for ones with out to much slope as gold would just blow thru.

TreasureTales

MRDUKE, welcome to TNet. And as one Californian to another, it's good to have you join us. There is a whole branch of gold hunting that involves culverts. Some people will put down a strip of that sluice box type carpeting in the culvert and let mother nature do the work. After a couple months, they go back and carefully remove the carpeting, to check for gold in the nap. They usually use a couple of big rocks to hold the carpeting in place. This can create real problems, however, if there is a large surge of water - like from a downpour - and the culvert can no longer handle the volume of water because of the rocks obstructing the mouth of the pipe. Some type of sturdy low profile clips might be better.

I met a fellow in a neighboring county one time, quite by accident, who was inventorying all culverts in that county. We got to talking and he told me they were getting ready for changes due to passage of Proposition 84 (so-called Clean Water Act Update). Anyway, the older culverts will eventually be replaced and the newer ones may become harder to access. Better get to it before those potential gold producers today are also off limits to us tomorrow.

Feb 2007
    N OC CA
    Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
    10 times

Yes they hold gold, Thats how I got my handle.a table spoon works good in the riffles too.A vacuum makes noise that draws attention here under the streets of LA.I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is.

Dec 2005
    CHICO- Northern California
    anything handy

I talked to some "water folks" in the ---- city area and they admitted to finding up to three ounces of gold nuggets when they had a shut down and had to walk the pipes. Unfortunately for me the trip is more than three miles long under water most of the time - I guess its a fringe benefit to working the mother lode area for a water and power district.
    Like the divers say,"When all is said and done, more is said than done!"

Feb 2006

I have got gold out them. I use a plastic kitchen broom with the handle cut off, a big square plastic tub (like to mix concrete in) from the lowe's store. I use the broom to whisk out the ripples. If it is dry works well. If it is wet works too. I put the tub where the water would come out. Sometimes you need to put a big rock in it to keep it below the lip of the culvert.If water is running through it. Also don't for get to dig around where the culvert water comes out. I got gold there too. Oh! I almost forgot. Dig under the end of the culvert that the water comes into. I have found alot of gold there. I settles there best. Remember Fill in the holes, I use rocks then fill with dirt.
    When your all swept out of the culvert. Just pour out the water, put the black sands and such into a five gallon bucket. And on to the next culvert. You can also make a broom with a 180 degree angle on it for the culverts that you can't fit into. Just use a piece of 1 1/2 conduit. I keep the 10 foot long piece. You just sweep from you on the side of the culvert the water comes in, and sweep toward you on the end where the water would come out. Now from experience. A forest ranger will probably not like what your doing and maybe make you quit. The digging part anyway.

Mar 2007
    2 times

thanks guys for the great advice , Ive been wanting to get out and try it . as i know some really good spot to look . but with the price of gas right now . and me being layed off from work ( I'm a seasonal truck driver ,logging trucks) Ive got to Waite until i get back to work ,i guess it,s the same old story ,it always comes down to time or money , it seems the trick is to have both as the same time . anyway the good news is it should,NT be to much longer.

Jun 2007

one word of advice though Watch Out for Snakes!!! thats two legged as well as the ones crawling on their bellies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links