DIY Power at the Claim

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gold claim that is proving out to be fairly promising. It is a perennial placer deposit, so I may be able to work it profitably for some time! I have been wanting to start charging my batteries on site instead of packing them in and out to charge them at home. Hydro power was the best option for me, and I set out to build a cheap water wheel that would serve my purposes. Here is the finished generator.

I still have to gather up the hose, wire, and rectifier, as well as take it up to the site, but its coming along nicely.

Upvote 0

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant! Nice work

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of amperage you will be able to run several pumps....hope you get a lot of sun ....nice job!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea! Because I'm in Arid-Zona I had to go for a solar method of making electricity. I'm still in the design phase but when finished I should have 750Watts worth of panels mounted to my trailer feeding a half dozen deep cycle batteries. That will be enough to power EVERYTHING with the right inverter(s). I will be able to pull the trailer right up to the camping site and swing the panels up into position and I'll be ready to go. Batteries will be precharged at the house so I don't have to wait. With all the sun we have here in the desert as well as the lack of water, this was the only way that made sense to me. I didn't want to have to listen to a genny all night long!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/370522-school-back-time-work-24.html

Here is the page with the rendering of the Mk I version. I've since changed the design a bit. With the panels doubled up I will be able to produce 1.4 KW of juice which will allow us to run directly off the panels during the day while still charging the batteries so we have juice after sunset.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some more testing today on a real creek, and got some better results indeed. Made 23V AC! If you know electronics you will laugh at my rectifier at the end!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Genius Work. What's the name of the rabid blues you have cranking at the first of the vid?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ryan the system looks good! BUT I think if you shorten your hose up as much as possible and goto a 2 inch hose youll see a larger increase in voltage. the line-loss of water pressure in the 1 inch hose plus its length are holding you back!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome. Nothing like home made hydro power. Where did you get the hub, and was it expensive?

OP
OP
R

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for watching guys. The project is getting closer but its not quite ready for the install yet.

mojo; the song is poor black mattie by a guy called Yazan. Good stuff I know. russau; I know that the hose is not ideal, its just what I had laying around. I agree that 2" would be better, but I can get 1.5" for cheap. I also have a buddy that has a bunch of 6"..... thats overkill though. I am going to bring the jet down to 3\8 to see what happens. jessie; the hub wasnt expensive, and I ve seen them for free on craigslist. The trick is to know what to look for. They sell for $3-500 on ebay for ebikes. If you find an ebike that has bad batteries, or has been in an accident, they can be had for a song. I paid $60 for the whole bike, and got lots of goodies from the charger (diodes).

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great idea! Because I'm in Arid-Zona I had to go for a solar method of making electricity. I'm still in the design phase but when finished I should have 750Watts worth of panels mounted to my trailer feeding a half dozen deep cycle batteries. That will be enough to power EVERYTHING with the right inverter(s). I will be able to pull the trailer right up to the camping site and swing the panels up into position and I'll be ready to go. Batteries will be precharged at the house so I don't have to wait. With all the sun we have here in the desert as well as the lack of water, this was the only way that made sense to me. I didn't want to have to listen to a genny all night long!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/370522-school-back-time-work-24.html

Here is the page with the rendering of the Mk I version. I've since changed the design a bit. With the panels doubled up I will be able to produce 1.4 KW of juice which will allow us to run directly off the panels during the day while still charging the batteries so we have juice after sunset.

This is how I envision Jeff's solar power at the claim.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyWall...2842/713741228693644/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread