Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting laid off!

This is great news. My company is hitting a short lull in work and it couldn't come at a better time. Mining season is in full swing and I think I found a claim to buy into. My RV is all period for the season because of the two trips I've taken in it this year and the one I'm leaving for today. This layoff will give me the chance to see if I can make it as a full time miner. So cool! If this works out and I'm able to pull enough gold I'll be buying my own claim and running full time which means I won't have to work anymore. Awesome right? If you had the chance what would you do? Find another job or chase a dream?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140620_142848.png
    ForumRunner_20140620_142848.png
    233 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The most recent update....

I have been working out here (MPI) for 9 years and I was looking forward to a little break i.e. layoff. However that seems to be a pipe dream. This company seems to smash my hopes and dreams at each turn lol. So far no more talk of layoff for me and they don't seem to want to send me packing. Oh well I guess. Looks like I'll have to find that rich streak and quit on my own. Till then I'm still prospecting and looking into this deal with these guys but I'll have more time to decide.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work that job and keep them golden dreams for the nights and weekends as NUTTN' beats steady income in this insane world of 2-3 part time jobs and NO benefits-respect-John

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Unfortunately around here the DFW thinks that they do and I file poo's with them because they ask me for them even when it is hand digging with hand tools. If you have seen the "wild justice" series you can easily see where the DFW places themselves into our lives. It's best to play it safe and stay out of court by following their local rules whether they are legal theirs or not. I haven't had any serious problems with them because they know & respect my mining habits and I ask them for their opinions when needed because fortunately I have a good DFW Representative who has worked well with me for the last 10+ years.

California is a beautiful place and I'd love to hit some of that country some day, but every post like this just makes me glad I'm in New Mexico.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nothing wrong with a steady income while your still young. You have many years in front of you to chase that dream.

This mentality is dangerous.
As a boy, I watched two important men in my life die on the cusp of their 'dreams' -one who worked a crap job for decades to earn a pension that he got to enjoy for 5 months, another who dreamed of taking an RV across the US who lived long enough to buy the RV, wax it a few times and leave it to his heirs.

Life is short and it always ends in death. Whether we get 80 years or 40, there is no telling.
People who live like they're due to die tomorrow wind up in jail.
People who live like they're due to die this year wind up unprepared for the future.
I think the right formula is live as though you knew, for 100% certain, that at some point 5 years from now, the Grim Reaper will be knocking on your door. Maintain a baseline of stability, take care of your obligations but don't believe the lie of infinite tomorrows because everyone one of us, with every breath we take, are one short breath closer to dying.

Every person on their death bed laments the things they never had the time to go and do. If this is your dream and you're in a position to make it happen, I say go for it. Realize that eccentric life choices tend to make you unhirable in the corporate-cubicle world so don't hope on returning to a boring, stable job when its done but yeah. This life you're living is coming to an end, day by day. Do what you want.

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Work that job and keep them golden dreams for the nights and weekends as NUTTN' beats steady income in this insane world of 2-3 part time jobs and NO benefits-respect-John

You betcha! And, remember, the gold ain't going anywhere! It will wait for ya!

elkie13

Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think if this is your dream you should follow it. That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with getting your financial life in order first. Paying things off, having a little cash to lean on. Mining is expensive, frustrating, and humbling, and generally wonderful. Seems like worrying how to feed your family at the same time would take a lot of the fun out of it.

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I did get laid off, however to continue collecting unemployment checks, job service requires that two resumes per week be sent out. I got a new job in just under two weeks. My prospecting trip got cut to just four days thanks to a faulty radiator in my blazer (fixed now) and I had gainful employment. Boo sauce for my mining dreams. However on my fabricating dreams a big win because my trommel sold and I'll get to build another one. It's been a busy few months and I'll start a new thread with the new build.

Selling that blazer btw cuz I bought a 99F350 four door full bed.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4796151145.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My fever is never at bay lol. Thanks for the confidence tho. I have 2-3 claims in mind right now.

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been self-employed for many years. While some companies try to get larger I always tried to stay small. I don't know all your circumstances but I just want to say that being self-employed without employees is not difficult. I fill out my own taxes once a year like anybody else and there really isn't that much paperwork. Keep it simple. For example (and this is not my business)- a person could start selling on e-bay as a business and keep track of their mileage and other expenses including internet fees and a variety of other expenses and make a good profit. Medical insurance use to be a big reason why people stayed on a job. I will not get political here but check into what it would cost(or not cost) you if you were self-employed. Will cut this short for now but if I could be of any assistance as for as my opinion,feel free to ask or PM me.

Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions