Jul 31, 2011
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its too high up into the Granite belt. I do know there is gold up to and maybe past silver fork. I know someone who found a nugget in the area of that big slide in '97....that was on the river however. Desolation is just not geologically good for gold.....yet there are fracture zones and quartz intrusion. There were a few hardrock gold mines in and around the Tahoe basin...but, there is a reason you don't really hear about them as they were low grade.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,
Been in the Tahoe basin most of my life. You might find some fly poop once in a while. Did a lot of hiking in desolation back in the day.
Here is one to check out. There is an ancient tertiary river that has been followed through Little Valley on out to Yerington. No one has ever found traces of it on the western side of Tahoe. Has to be there somewhere.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old mining partner spent a week up in little valley - said there decent old diggings up there - he got a little gold.

OP
OP
A

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Yes there are a number of fractures in the granite that are shown. I guess carrying a small pan and maybe a crevise tool would be all that would be needed when backpacking for the weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread