CLASSIFIERS MADE CHEAP AND EASY. HERES MINE

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All you need is a 5 gallon bucket. Mine are from home depot and lowes, and are just over $3.00 A Piece including tax. Also both stores sell a black plastic open middle top ring that pushes right down on the bucket top, and stays tight. See photos. Then get some different size screen, and make sure you cut a big enough piece to fit over the top of your bucket with an inch overhang all the way around. I measured like 6 inches down from the top of the bucket, and then cut all the way around. The reason I keep my classifiers a bit deeper are so when I'm classifying, I can use a spray nozzle to wash the materials down without the stuff blowing out. Then put your piece of screen over the top of the bucket. When you get ready to snap the black ring on, be sure to take your time, and keep the screen tight all the way around. Thanks, I hope you like it!

unnamed[1] (6).jpg unnamed[1] (5).jpg unnamed[1] (4).jpg unnamed[3].jpg

Upvote 0

lokiie1984

Jun 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea, but where did you find your screen? I have been looking through home depot / lows and menards but cant find any screen that goes smaller then basic window screen.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@lokiie1984 Thats a great question about where to find screen. The two I already made in the photos were made with different sized screens I had laying around the basement. I have been looking for different size screens myself, and you can find stuff on ebay, I just haven't bought anymore yet. Right now I'm using two different sized wire strainers in conjunction with the two classifiers so I get the gravel/crushed rock, seperated as much as possible. If you find a place that has a variety of different sized screen, and the prices aren't bad, please let me know. Thanks, Jay

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice CN. I had to tighten up the one in the photos. I just took it apart, and held it tighter, and snapped the black plastic ring on. It's nice n tight now. The ring compressed the screen on tighter also.

lokiie1984

Jun 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a splatter screen that i found at a dollar store. Its about size 20, i think anyway. For that i had to put some expanded metal under it for support but it works well enough. We also use it for cooking so i couldn't modify it too much but later i want to grab a second one and put it into a bucket some how like you did. So far that was the only issue i had, with out walls around the outer edge the material i was classifying liked to work its way off the side.

McMastercar.com has been the only site i have heard of buy screens but i also heard they were pricey. (linked by AzViper) I haven't looked through the stock yet though.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey RSMSherry, I stack mine, they don't lock in place, but a littl velcro would do the trick, or even a few plastic tabs glued around the bottom of each would keep them on. They stay on fine though for me without anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread