Am I right about this?

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have found a creek that may have potential but I have never looked for gold. I wanted to run this by y'all and see if it sounds like that is possible.
I live in Indiana and we don't have creeks that are "blue. In southern Ohio I saw lots of creeks that were clear blue water and was told it is from iron and that nothing can live in that water. I have a creek here in Indiana that has one pothole that has been turning blue for a couple years now. If we have a dry spell it looses it's color. I have heard that black sand is iron and that's a gold indicator and I know there has been a placer find in that area many years ago.
Does this sound like potential and how do I go about investigating further and what should I do?Any info would be great as I know absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks all,

Wade

Upvote 0

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get yourself a gold pan, dig and pan it out. if you hit clay, i would only pan the top right above the clay. look for a bend in the creek where gravel is building up, if there is gold in that creek, chances are that its sitting with the gravels.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color of the water does not matter. Its whats in the gravels. As Duckwalk said, get a pan and check it out. If there has been a placer located in the area you have a better chance of finding something. Read up a bit more here and you'll find abundant answers to the what, where, why and how's of looking for gold. Luck to ya.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep the only way is to dig/suck it up and pan it out! if the water is to deep to dig, make a sucker stick to pull the material up from the bottom of the hole . OR if you know of someone with a dredge ask them to suck it up! theres lots of private land there in Indiana. hope you did your research on who owns it and that you have permission to be there!

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't talk to them and may not. My brother owns up stream of this spot so I was thinking of going to the property line and sampling up from there.Thanks for the info y'all!

Wade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions