Tailings Or Creek??

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked this question in one of my other threads, but the thread topic was completely unrelated. So I decided to start a new one. I sniffed out an old mine in my area, the mine started in 1909 and ended around 1920. Those dates are approximate. I can see a giant tailings pile from google maps, but it’s going to be hard to get to. There is no longer a road that leads to it so I don’t think its been messed with much. This mine mainly mined copper with gold being a very strong byproduct. Initial testing of the mine concluded that the surface samples of gold and copper were adequate for them to open an underground mine. My question is this. I don’t have a lot of time to be in this area, I’m assuming if there was gold in the mine, there is probably gold in the little creek that runs next to it. Would you spend more time running tailings in the bazooka, or would you spend more time mining the creek (looking for bedrock and such)? Would you sample both? And then make your decision? Ive heard about people find great stuff in tailings, but that usually involves a metal detector, which I don’t have. Any insight on how you would prospect this area would be extremely helpful!

Upvote 0

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would test both. if i were you (being on a tight schedule) i would hit the creek first.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I asked this question in one of my other threads, but the thread topic was completely unrelated. So I decided to start a new one. I sniffed out an old mine in my area, the mine started in 1909 and ended around 1920. Those dates are approximate. I can see a giant tailings pile from google maps, but it’s going to be hard to get to. There is no longer a road that leads to it so I don’t think its been messed with much. This mine mainly mined copper with gold being a very strong byproduct. Initial testing of the mine concluded that the surface samples of gold and copper were adequate for them to open an underground mine. My question is this. I don’t have a lot of time to be in this area, I’m assuming if there was gold in the mine, there is probably gold in the little creek that runs next to it. Would you spend more time running tailings in the bazooka, or would you spend more time mining the creek (looking for bedrock and such)? Would you sample both? And then make your decision? Ive heard about people find great stuff in tailings, but that usually involves a metal detector, which I don’t have. Any insight on how you would prospect this area would be extremely helpful!

This is an obvious question. Legal status of mine area. Commonly they obtained a patented claim- much easier to do in the old days. You
may be on private property.

George

OP
OP
B

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I can tell so far it seems abandon. The BLM tool says that there are no claims in the area. I still need to do a little more research locally to make sure, but as of right now, looks clean. I definitely want to make sure that I'm not on anyone's claim or private land.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go for the creek. To Bedrock! The old timers didnt get it all. But then again neither will you!
Test pan the tailings I guess, do they touch the creek? If so start there. For god's sakes post us some pictures! :)
<3 sounds like fun!

OP
OP
B

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on having some photos, maybe even a little video. Even if I don't find any gold, I know the area is beautiful! I'm excited to get out there and see what I can see!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit your county recorders office asap. In that time period you had to have at least a oz a ton to run a mine as government pegged the price a gold at around $35 ,if memory good this am. Look in shaft to see if extremely rough walls as that means BY HAND steel and that dump could be a bonanza. Creek first as must walk before run. EXTREME CAUTION in old mines-partner,2 light sources,roped off as the trouble you can get into in a single second will kill ya deader that a doornail-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread