What is this ?

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• image-2178959372.jpg
    image-2178959372.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was getting that kind of coarse Gold from the hole with the Clay in it and someone backfilled it with rocks and boulders, then I would clean it out again and go to work finding Gold. If you don't have a big pry/wrecking bar or don't want to lug it into the location, you can use what Mother Nature has provided. A couple of dead and down but solid (not rotted) 2 1/2" to 3" trees trimmed to 5' or 6' long can be used to lift and roll that big rock out of the hole. Just clear a spot beside the rock to lay the two trimmed tree pieces, make sure that the lift ends are on the side opposite where you want the rock to go, roll the rock onto them, then lift the long ends and the rock should roll fairly easy. If you decide to work the hole again and I believe that you should because there may be even better Gold under the Clay layer, just make sure to somewhat fill the hole with smaller rocks before you leave. It is hard to say why that someone filled the hole while you were away from it. It could have been a safety issue or they have worked the hole and want to deter someone else from working the hole. No matter what the case, by filling it with smaller rocks, it will look somewhat unworked and hopefully deter someone else from working the hole.

Frank

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not true. It's just closed to new mining claims. You can still prospect. Go get some gold if you know where it is. :thumbsup:
Do you know where i cam find this information for sure? Id rather not get in trouble thinking im following the rules

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you know where i cam find this information for sure? Id rather not get in trouble thinking im following the rules

Sure, I'm always willing to give my sources. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the Federal Register listing for the recent withdrawal - notice that only location and entry (new mining claims) are included. Existing mining claims and prospecting are not part of the mineral withdrawal:

Chetco Mineral Withdrawal

The 16 miles of Wild and Scenic River above that withdrawal are specifically exempt from prospecting restriction under USC Title 16 › Chapter 28 › § 1280 (b) which is the portion of the Wild and Secnic Rivers Act that limits locations of mineral claims.

Nothing contained in this subsection shall be construed to forbid prospecting

You can prospect all you want. You just can't make any new claims. "Closed to appropriation" (claims and patents) doesn't apply to prior existing claims, patents or private property.

Pan to your hearts content. Print these laws out if you are concerned about someone hassling you for prospecting.

Wild and Scenic Rivers and Wilderness areas both have specific "savings clauses" to permit prospecting. No motors allowed but prospecting is perfectly legal.

Heavy Pans

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, I'm always willing to give my sources. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the Federal Register listing for the recent withdrawal - notice that only location and entry (new mining claims) are included. Existing mining claims and prospecting are not part of the mineral withdrawal:

Chetco Mineral Withdrawal

The 16 miles of Wild and Scenic River above that withdrawal are specifically exempt from prospecting restriction under USC Title 16 › Chapter 28 › § 1280 (b) which is the portion of the Wild and Secnic Rivers Act that limits locations of mineral claims.

You can prospect all you want. You just can't make any new claims. "Closed to appropriation" (claims and patents) doesn't apply to prior existing claims, patents or private property.

Pan to your hearts content. Print these laws out if you are concerned about someone hassling you for prospecting.

Wild and Scenic Rivers and Wilderness areas both have specific "savings clauses" to permit prospecting. No motors allowed but prospecting is perfectly legal.

Heavy Pans

What the....I had not heard about this, must be something new!!
I wonder if they changed anything on the smith in Del Norte county? Hey Clay Diggins THANKS!! Is this mean hands and pans only? I can't find any specifics ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure, I'm always willing to give my sources. :thumbsup: Here's a link to the Federal Register listing for the recent withdrawal - notice that only location and entry (new mining claims) are included. Existing mining claims and prospecting are not part of the mineral withdrawal: Chetco Mineral Withdrawal The 16 miles of Wild and Scenic River above that withdrawal are specifically exempt from prospecting restriction under USC Title 16 › Chapter 28 › § 1280 (b) which is the portion of the Wild and Secnic Rivers Act that limits locations of mineral claims. You can prospect all you want. You just can't make any new claims. "Closed to appropriation" (claims and patents) doesn't apply to prior existing claims, patents or private property. Pan to your hearts content. Print these laws out if you are concerned about someone hassling you for prospecting. Wild and Scenic Rivers and Wilderness areas both have specific "savings clauses" to permit prospecting. No motors allowed but prospecting is perfectly legal. Heavy Pans
Thanks for the information i took a screen shot on my phone so sounds like i should plan a trip up the chetco soon

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be great to be able to use my bazooka but i wont get my hopes up....

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not? Just because a piece or equipment works well doesn't mean its banned. Doesn't have a motor... Looks pretty clear.

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not? Just because a piece or equipment works well doesn't mean its banned. Doesn't have a motor... Looks pretty clear.
To the prospectors eyes yes but idk about a parky with an itchy ticket finger haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread