Howdy from the Kootenays!

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently living in the West Kootenays, BC. Nearby, there is a large hard rock gold claim that was originally filed around 1890. It is above treeline. A creek on the valley floor has some placer claims but I haven't seen anyone working them in the 12 years I've been here.
The owners of the hard rock claim are going to be drilling this summer. I have asked for permission to go thru the tailings of 4-5 old mine shafts on the property. The area was originally opened up for silver mining. There are something in the order of 100 hard rock claims within a couple miles. Most would be a brutal climb to access. The area I would like to work is accessible by a 4x4 quad.
I am new to all this. I have looked at a spiral pan and a small sluice. What would you folks use?

Attachments

• DSCN0363.JPG
    DSCN0363.JPG
    878.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Johnnie, and welcome to TNet...:hello:

Is there a water source near the tailing piles? Are you
going to be working crushed material, or will you still
need to crush material to extract the gold?

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pan, sluice, highbanker, metal detector, bulldozer, excavator, washplant, oh what was the question again? Those mountains make me feel very small and that is very awesome. Looks like a nice place to explore. Pick those miners' brains until they run you the heck outa there!

Welcome to T Net and good luck, sounds like you're in a good spot with lots of potential.:occasion14:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the trolls, if you dare disagree you will torn apart.
beatdeadhorse.gif%7Eoriginal

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool opportunity:headbang: Your best bet is to talk to any local associated with prospecting you can find. You know silver was mined in the area. Research any mines you can.Look up info from the U.S.G.S. Is there B.L.M or Forest Service land nearby? You will be surprised by the number of reports written about the operations in historcal mining districts. You can find out information on past claims on public lands and compare it geologically to the property you have access to. @ Casca...come on really? There are some trolls and haters here. But, mainly there are newbies and weekend warriors and a lot of folks that want to keep it real and honest..........go back read some threads....wonder what some of those missing posts said and relax:occasion14: There is a good reason some of the guys have said what they said. THEY KNOW WHAT ITHEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.....8-)...........:notworthy:!

Last edited:

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! What an opportunity.

Got me to thinking, I know there are dedicated gold detectors -- but what about silver?

The Tesoro Silver Sabre -- I think is just a name -- lays no claim to be targeting silver.

Would a gold machine be your best choice for silver? :dontknow:

And Goldwasher, very well said, sir. :thumbsup:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Hemmingway Has some cool posts about detecting silver species. Reread you asked what I would use? Your gonna have to start with a pan...and as I said do what the locals do.

OP
OP
T
Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kootenays

Yes, there is water and the material is not all crushed. Some of the material I will work with was stockpiled around 1910 and never processed. Some will be what was washed off of a quartz face. There is some free gold on the property but mainly hard rock. I guess I'll find out how much when I unload the sacks at home!

Howdy Johnnie, and welcome to TNet...:hello:

Is there a water source near the tailing piles? Are you
going to be working crushed material, or will you still
need to crush material to extract the gold?

OP
OP
T
Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome! The claim is primarily hard rock with some free gold scattered around. Hasn't been worked in a very long time. Be a tough job getting a cat up there. A place only a fool would go! Will be up there tomorrow for a look-see. Was thinking of trying a spiral doo-dad as I have no experience with panning. There's enough water for sluicing so might get one of those, too.

Pan, sluice, highbanker, metal detector, bulldozer, excavator, washplant, oh what was the question again? Those mountains make me feel very small and that is very awesome. Looks like a nice place to explore. Pick those miners' brains until they run you the heck outa there!

Welcome to T Net and good luck, sounds like you're in a good spot with lots of potential.:occasion14:

OP
OP
T
Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver thing is kind of a given here. There is some electrum as well but I would like to actually find some gold...not for the money but for the hobby and learn the science of gold/geology. Very interesting.
There are bored people/trolls on any forum. I joined this forum to learn from experienced prospectors. From what I have read so far, there are some very knowledgeable people here with a wide variety of skill sets.

OP
OP
T
Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a government site called Minefile, I think. It has a complete history of all the claims in BC dating back to the 1880's. There are a dozen or so shafts in the area. They are in no danger from me. I like blue sky over my head.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1- you absolutely MUST learn to gold pan to perfection,without it your just a mutzn' and a putzn' even detecting it's a must. If not you may find a few nuggets but 100X that weight in fines is a good general rule. Slow and easy,much to learn and you need good protection and tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
T
Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am taking my BearBug pro (Model 14 Rem .35cal) and some sardines. I'm diabetic. Lots of water there already but no coffeehouses.... Juan Valdez would need a new donkey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread