Gold Protection

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

The other day I got some bad news. Apparently when I get old enough to drive I'm not allowed to go mining alone. Now I understand the threat of hurting myself and having no one to come to my aid, but what my parents say is they don't trust people. In this day and age it's definitely understandable not to trust people but she won't let me go without someone. I was thinking there is no way my parents will hold me back from it so I asked about a gun. My mom is highly against guns and my dad isn't. Sadly it would be illegal for me to have one and have major consequences if I were caught carrying one. So is there an alternative? I was thinking a knife, but someone with a gun (who happens to threaten me for some reason) would easily take me down. I'm trying to find a different solution to convince them to let me go, but can't think of any that will change their minds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S I do know it isn't the best idea to go alone especially at the age where you think you are invincible. I'm not one to do stupid things because I hate riding my bike off the sidewalk curb at a fast speed or in general. Meaning I'm cautious. Although that doesn't mean something wont happen like slipping off a rock and hurting my ankle, getting bit by a snake, breaking an arm, a serious cut, etc. I would be fully aware of the risks and hopefully be prepared for them.

Thanks for Answering my stupid questions!
H&F909ORO

Upvote 0

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am talking to you as an Eagle /Life Scout..I am proud of my accomplishments but they aren't, really, just mine..I didn't have parents to advise and help me as you do, and are so lucky..I learned early in life that if I took the advise of adults and showed responsibility, it showed respect and they would return that respect and trust..They tend to ignore your age and treat you as a young adult..and will go out of their way to help you..

Do as your parents say and understand that they worry about you..Consider that being a parent is a tough job..They love you and want to make you happy but can't let you do things that are against your best interest...Do you realize they can get in serious trouble for your actions..Do all you can to prove your responsibility, trustworthiness, and maturity right now...You will be surprised how differently they will treat you when you get your car...Learn to use your common sense and logic...Go out of your way to help make your patents lives easier..

Do you really understand what I am telling you ???

I ask because it's hard for me to believe you would even consider asking if you could get a gun..or go out into the wilderness by yourself ..ARE YOU KIDDING ???
Think things out..those are questions that prove your irresponsibility...
Just the fact that you are aware and expressing a desire to learn tells me, and others, you have good potential...

Though I didn't have parents to guide me, I was lucky to have some adults that went above and beyond to help me out because I was a hard iworker and could be counted on to do as I promised...The best advise I ever got as a 15 year old was to have patience...second was to learn martial arts..To this day, I practice both..I have a nice gun collection but have never felt a need to carry one for self protection..If someone ever pulled a gun on me, I'd probably add it to my collection ;) Please consider martial arts training..
Talk to your parents about you joining a local prospectors club and let them meet the members..The members would enjoy having your help and enthusiasm...Also..again..have patience, by the time you get your car, you'll probably have a prospecting buddy network..In the meantime learn all you can by reading and practicing in your back yard...

I'm spending my time writing this because someone did the same for me ...Good luck..

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"
I want to like boy scouts but i have bad experiences with aweful troops

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents let my friends and myself camp out in the hills by the age of twelve. We were allowed to bring our bows, bb guns have fires make our own food. By that age we also knew how to skin and cook cottontail, jack rabbits, squirrels and snakes....we didn't eat snakes!!!! We also hunted quail,dove and coyote.I can't relate the desire to do such things as irresponsible. Try to find some old copies of "BOYS LIFE" and look at the thing growing boys used to be encouraged to do. Read historical accounts of what it was like to grow up pre 1940's America and relate that to how much of a wuss most parents want their children to be these days. My son is twelve. He will be hunting with me the first time this season I feel like I am late showing him the wilderness and outdoorsman skills I have learned...I also work a lot more than my Dad did.Kiddo you ARE a young man you fill those shoe as you see fit. Respect and honor your parents be responsible and respectful...they are going do disagree with many of your wants and requests it is the nature of your relationship.....GET YOUR OLD MAN MORE INVOLVED.....maybe he should feel a little bad for not being your partner???????I realize you may not want him out in the field with you, but if you do make sure he knows...then its you two against mom. If not then keep asking questions and gaining experience. If you get the chance to head towards the Placerville area let me know, I have a great safe place for you to camp and dig.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents let my friends and myself camp out in the hills by the age of twelve. We were allowed to bring our bows, bb guns have fires make our own food. By that age we also knew how to skin and cook cottontail, jack rabbits, squirrels and snakes....we didn't eat snakes!!!! We also hunted quail,dove and coyote.I can't relate the desire to do such things as irresponsible. Try to find some old copies of "BOYS LIFE" and look at the thing growing boys used to be encouraged to do. Read historical accounts of what it was like to grow up pre 1940's America and relate that to how much of a wuss most parents want their children to be these days. My son is twelve. He will be hunting with me the first time this season I feel like I am late showing him the wilderness and outdoorsman skills I have learned...I also work a lot more than my Dad did.Kiddo you ARE a young man you fill those shoe as you see fit. Respect and honor your parents be responsible and respectful...they are going do disagree with many of your wants and requests it is the nature of your relationship.....GET YOUR OLD MAN MORE INVOLVED.....maybe he should feel a little bad for not being your partner???????I realize you may not want him out in the field with you, but if you do make sure he knows...then its you two against mom. If not then keep asking questions and gaining experience. If you get the chance to head towards the Placerville area let me know, I have a great safe place for you to camp and dig.
YES!!!
YES!!
Wilderness and Outdoorsman skills....Needed.
:headbang::icon_thumright:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
your question about the knife...Are you trained as a knife fighter and are you good at that? If the answers are no then the outcome of defending yourself with a knife would probably be bad for you. Same advice for any weapon. Just having one is no benefit. A panther is the best choice, along with learning how to avoid dangerous situations.
Listen to your parent's advice. They did not get to be so old because they were stupid

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a panther is your best choice:cat:....( sorry Bonaro) couldn't resist

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have met both of your parents and they are both fine people and deserve your honor. I can understand that your mom would probably not wan't you to have a firearm and a good part of the California citizenry also thinks it is unnecessary for you to have one. As Goldwasher says you could approach your father and possibly you could both share in the sport by taking safety classes and going to a gun range. You could then go plinking on your outings as you become more proficient in the use of a firearm. The only problem with owning a gun is if you don't know how to use it correctly or take care of it safely. Again Honor your parents and when you reach adulthood never forfeit your rights.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Having grown up in the mountains of S. California I had to go through much the same thing with my own parents. They worry because they care. (It's in their job description) The main difference now is that there are a lot more wackos out there. Firearms are a tool nothing more. Like any tool thay can be used in both the right and the wrong way. I was trained by the Army to use almost every weapon they had and have a great respect for them but for prospecting they're not always the best choice. Sit down and think long and hard about what is really needed in the areas you plan on prospecting. I carry at our claim but mainly because we are right next to the Mexican border and have both illegals and drug runners. I've been known to go out solo but I'm always on edge when I do. I always have communications with me and check in at regular times.

A partner is always a good idea to help cover your bases and a dog is also a good thing to have with you as their senses are much better than a persons. A good dog can alert you to others in the area well before you can see or hear them. A partner can also help to make the work easier, remind you to drink liquids etc etc etc. Sure the idea of the solo prospector out facing nature on his own is romantic, but not practicle in this day and age.

Remember to be safe, don't abuse your body and follow common sense and you'll be able to prospect for many years to come. Take care of your body now because many of us here are living proof that those "little accidents" that you shake off when you're young WILL come back to haunt you when you get older.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are heading into the woods alone and want to stay alone: Wear a ripped shirt, carry a full sized shovel in one hand and a half full bag of lollipops or twizzlers in your other hand.

Put your gear in a backpack wrapped with black plastic/duct tape and adorned with 4 or 5 mismatched air fresheners.

You will be left alone

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrate , that is how I usually dress. Now I know why everybody leaves me alone. It's also helpful if you carryon a loud angry conversation with yourself.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember with a partner comes big problems gold spilt and then the high grading that happens, and your partner knows nothing about.
saftey is in numbers but i feel you will find having a partner is going to be a big hassle every thing will go fine till you are on gold, then your partners true colors will show.

Its sad that its this way and you may get lucky n find a good partner, i think you would stand a better chance finding a ounce nugget than a worthy partner.
Just some advice from someone who has been through a couple partners that had my back.

GT.............

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow..........from all the comments I felt stupid but glad I asked the question. As stated I need to learn to use common sense and have better responsibility whether it be gold mining or making my bed. It was an eye opener I will tell you all that and I feel like I have learned by reading all of your comments. Patience, responsibility, trust and everything else is more important than gold will ever be. Thanks for all the advise, I hope you use better judgement and common sense on the thoughts that pop up in my head that seem irrational or rational. Just by reading all of this I think back and now to when I thought if those ideas and now think they were totally out of what I should think. I should listen to the ones that are wiser and more experienced than I am, my parents, friends and people here. Again I am totally shocked at this and hope to use these tools to make the right decision.

Thanks to all,
H&F909ORO

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wisdom has come through the open door Grasshopper.

Recognizing the wisdom of your parents and others who have more life experiences will make your life easier.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes a panther is your best choice:cat:....( sorry Bonaro) couldn't resist

HA, I totally missed that...but...having a panther as a partner is probably better 8-)

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to like boy scouts but i have bad experiences with aweful troops

The troop is only as good as the leadership and the leadership is only as good as the parents make it.
I was a scoutmaster for 15 years...good times but we had very involved parents and had grown to over 50 boys. Now 6-7 years after I left and all new leadership and the troop is about to fold because of lack of interest and low participation
Keep looking, there is a good troop out there

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..........from all the comments I felt stupid but glad I asked the question. As stated I need to learn to use common sense and have better responsibility whether it be gold mining or making my bed. It was an eye opener I will tell you all that and I feel like I have learned by reading all of your comments. Patience, responsibility, trust and everything else is more important than gold will ever be. Thanks for all the advise, I hope you use better judgement and common sense on the thoughts that pop up in my head that seem irrational or rational. Just by reading all of this I think back and now to when I thought if those ideas and now think they were totally out of what I should think. I should listen to the ones that are wiser and more experienced than I am, my parents, friends and people here. Again I am totally shocked at this and hope to use these tools to make the right decision.

Thanks to all,
H&F909ORO

As I read this, it sounds like you've already completed your 3rd degree..

You make us all proud..Most of us aren't used to todays youth being so perceptive...

Also..I'd wager that you cross your t's close to the top..In handwriting analysis, it's a sign of self-confidence..

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres the cold hard facts buddy,do what you are completely comfortable with.If you feel comfortable being armed get a permit if required and carry a 12 gauge shotgun.It will protect you and it can feed you if hungry.Learn how to use it and when to use it,common sense will break in on when to use it.Do not rely on a knife for defense unless you know how to use it.Forget a pistol,forget a rifle,forget a knife.A dog is good,a dog can warn you,but a dog can only take care of one problem at a time.If theres 5 men standing in front of you,theres not one of them that wants the first load out of a 12 gauge.

If someone ever pulled a gun on me, I'd probably add it to my collection Please consider martial arts training.

You would probably be a dead man,if the person that pulled it knew what they were doing.Being cocky will kill you as fast as a bullet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread