Gold Protection

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

The other day I got some bad news. Apparently when I get old enough to drive I'm not allowed to go mining alone. Now I understand the threat of hurting myself and having no one to come to my aid, but what my parents say is they don't trust people. In this day and age it's definitely understandable not to trust people but she won't let me go without someone. I was thinking there is no way my parents will hold me back from it so I asked about a gun. My mom is highly against guns and my dad isn't. Sadly it would be illegal for me to have one and have major consequences if I were caught carrying one. So is there an alternative? I was thinking a knife, but someone with a gun (who happens to threaten me for some reason) would easily take me down. I'm trying to find a different solution to convince them to let me go, but can't think of any that will change their minds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S I do know it isn't the best idea to go alone especially at the age where you think you are invincible. I'm not one to do stupid things because I hate riding my bike off the sidewalk curb at a fast speed or in general. Meaning I'm cautious. Although that doesn't mean something wont happen like slipping off a rock and hurting my ankle, getting bit by a snake, breaking an arm, a serious cut, etc. I would be fully aware of the risks and hopefully be prepared for them.

Thanks for Answering my stupid questions!
H&F909ORO

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stupid questions not and being cautious is great and is probably not what you lack. Experience is what you lack. There are many things you will learn as you mature and out by yourself in the woods you may not be able to afford the price of the learning. I have nearly drowned in a rain swollen creek, slid my vehicle off a mountain dirt road and down the side and slipped with a knife and stabbed myself in the femoral artery nearly bleeding to death, all when young and alone. I suggest you find one or more people to prospect with and pick up the scars,bumps,bruises and info in safety.

GM

P.S. If you get out this way PM me and I will prospect with you.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I spend quite a bit of time out in the woods though I suspect I am just a tad older then you.. But I have never ever felt the need for a gun. Plenty of non lethal weapons for animals and man that one can use.. And nothing dies.. Anyway I suspect the biggest dangers are most likely your terrain and the type of work. Prospecting has a habit of breaking fingers and toes twisted ankles on and on...Now their is no way to truly be safe but you can take steps...
CPR classes Wilderness Survival First aid map reading lots and lots of stuff. But ultimately the best way is to have a battle buddy.(always nice to have a good man watching your back). Anyway their is also GPS that can message in real time plus have emergency features/tracking you ect ect...I use SPOT...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a partner. I'm a veteran, I have many decades of experience in the desert and forest, and have been gold prospecting since I was seven-years-old (with my Dad). When I'm alone in the back country, I have a gun, communications, and I have left a travel plan with a friend just in case I don't check in at the prescribed time and date. You are ALWAYS safer with a partner and a Sat-phone.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your parents are right. And you only have to be 18yrs old for a shotgun or rifle. Buddy system is the best along with GPS. Be safe and always. o you "due diligence" on all projects. Relax and have fun.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a big can of bear mace with a belt holster. It'll stop wild animals.. including humans.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep its always best to have a partner. Terry makes a very good point as well~ always let someone know where your going and when You expect to be back even if you have a partner. Aside from that experience is all that's needed. Don't take it bad your on a leash for now~ time will come where you gain the experience and people (parents) will trust your decisions because they know your going about things the right way. Protection works both ways~ for you and the ones who love ya.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As ye sow---so shall ye reap--I much prefer my .357 mag for any creep. My kids were taught complete gun safety before they were 10,boys & girl. Plenty of great gun safety classes as the need is MUCH greater now than any time in history. Drug fueled crankster gangsters and cartel grows in every state and I will NOT go down without a fight-John

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time a creepy guy approached I was well armed and felt at ease!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you can carry a little .22 rifle. I dont care who you are, you dont want a gun pointed at you no matter what it is. it would be legal for you to have AND would be protection, as long as its in reach. I understand its not a pistol always attached to you, but its something. Would also be good for using what they call Rat Shot or snake shot its also called for snakes.

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Become invincible. remember your mom is right always! Learn every thing you can about being out in the forest where the gold is. Join a gun club, Boy scouts, self defense class, CPR, first aid classes, learn to read a map and use a compass. learn every thing you can about out door life not just gold propecting. This may help your mother to fill that you will be safter when you go out in the woods. If that doesn't work join the Army go Airborne! You will learn all the above and then some. Build confidence in your self and your mother will see that. NO one is invincible but you can prepare you self for the s@#t that can and will happen.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just have a kick ass little trail dog named honey bug she has my back always best early warming system ever and for snakes use a rock. most of all use common sense and intuition to keep safe. i my self dont carry in the bush unless your talking about a Bible my pack is always loaded with one, i need the water rather than extra steel weight to each his own method of protetction i choose a good prospecting dog, never cared much for conversing with a gun.
GT.............
View attachment 1024135

ShaunB

Mar 4, 2014
Clarksville, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (borrowed)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful if you go with a knife. You'll want to be aware of the laws concerning knife carry, too. Kimber makes a nice pepper spray "gun" called the PepperBlasterII. I'd also recommend taking a self-defense or concealed carry class. Even if you're too young to own and carry a firearm now, a good class will teach you about situation awareness, self-defense, and the laws regarding such things. As others have said, your best bet is to prospect with a partner.

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Become invincible. remember your mom is right always! Learn every thing you can about being out in the forest where the gold is. Join a gun club, Boy scouts, self defense class, CPR, first aid classes, learn to read a map and use a compass. learn every thing you can about out door life not just gold propecting. This may help your mother to fill that you will be safter when you go out in the woods. If that doesn't work join the Army go Airborne! You will learn all the above and then some. Build confidence in your self and your mother will see that. NO one is invincible but you can prepare you self for the s@#t that can and will happen.

I have been a Scout since I was in 1st grade and now going into high school. Been on a lot of camping trips and had great outdoor experiences. Some weren't the best but others were. I know how to treat minor first aid like a snake bite and what not but I definitely don't know it all. I have only probably scratched the surface. I also know how to use a compass though I need to get better with the map. I need CPR training. Thanks for all the info guys I think my conclusion would be that, it's in my best safety to go with another person because of the risks. Thanks to all!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Experience is the best teacher, and a teacher with experience is worthy of respect. A simple technique for learning is to carry a small pad of post it's. If you need something you don't have make a note for when you return home. Keep your supplies together so when gold fever hits you don't run off with out the stuff you need. Have fun, the woods have provided decades of enjoyment for me.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANG dog dead and you do what now??throw your bible at'm?? Time for a reality check as your in the big ol'mean world now-John

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just have a kick ass little trail dog named honey bug she
has my back always best early warming system ever and for snakes use a rock.
View attachment 1024135

Herb: I've met that dog, and if I recall correctly she's no "Honey"
(or, was this the nice one?).

If it's the pooch I'm thinkin' of, she wouldn't hesitate one
second to rip a big chunk out of someones arse if they were
messing with Herb or any of his kids..:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a partner, accidents happen, you could get in trouble and not be able to physically drive..

Do not illegally carry a gun, you could screw up your life or at the very least the next 5-10 years of it....

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BANG dog dead and you do what now??throw your bible at'm?? Time for a reality check as your in the big ol'mean world now-John

Im sure that me and my dog will be alerted of your presence by the smell of your manly perfumes Long before you get close enough to shoot, Reality is im mining today and tomorrow whats on your agenda for the day?
As for my Bible thats my choice JOHN.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a Scout since I was in 1st grade and now going into high school. Been on a lot of camping trips and had great outdoor experiences. Some weren't the best but others were. I know how to treat minor first aid like a snake bite and what not but I definitely don't know it all. I have only probably scratched the surface. I also know how to use a compass though I need to get better with the map. I need CPR training. Thanks for all the info guys I think my conclusion would be that, it's in my best safety to go with another person because of the risks. Thanks to all!

I am talking to you as an Eagle /Life Scout..I am proud of my accomplishments but they aren't, really, just mine..I didn't have parents to advise and help me as you do, and are so lucky..I learned early in life that if I took the advise of adults and showed responsibility, it showed respect and they would return that respect and trust..They tend to ignore your age and treat you as a young adult..and will go out of their way to help you..

Do as your parents say and understand that they worry about you..Consider that being a parent is a tough job..They love you and want to make you happy but can't let you do things that are against your best interest...Do you realize they can get in serious trouble for your actions..Do all you can to prove your responsibility, trustworthiness, and maturity right now...You will be surprised how differently they will treat you when you get your car...Learn to use your common sense and logic...Go out of your way to help make your patents lives easier..

Do you really understand what I am telling you ???

I ask because it's hard for me to believe you would even consider asking if you could get a gun..or go out into the wilderness by yourself ..ARE YOU KIDDING ???
Think things out..those are questions that prove your irresponsibility...
Just the fact that you are aware and expressing a desire to learn tells me, and others, you have good potential...

Though I didn't have parents to guide me, I was lucky to have some adults that went above and beyond to help me out because I was a hard iworker and could be counted on to do as I promised...The best advise I ever got as a 15 year old was to have patience...second was to learn martial arts..To this day, I practice both..I have a nice gun collection but have never felt a need to carry one for self protection..If someone ever pulled a gun on me, I'd probably add it to my collection ;) Please consider martial arts training..
Talk to your parents about you joining a local prospectors club and let them meet the members..The members would enjoy having your help and enthusiasm...Also..again..have patience, by the time you get your car, you'll probably have a prospecting buddy network..In the meantime learn all you can by reading and practicing in your back yard...

I'm spending my time writing this because someone did the same for me ...Good luck..

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread