Spiked fire roads, keep an eye out

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7-15-14-REBAR-IN-ROAD.jpg

Spiked rebar on roads, Forest Service seeks those responsible

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Forest Service law enforcement is looking for information related to sharpened rebar that was purposely placed on and near roads in the Happy Jack area.
:
:
Anyone with knowledge of the situation or information on who may be placing the rebar is encouraged to contact Forest Service law enforcement at (928) 527-3511.

7-15-14-REBAR-RULER.jpg

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
did the same logging community in Northern California on trees, killed a mill worker.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live and work in this part of Az. I would bet that the person responsible for this was camped right there and doesn't like ohv's. The area is plagued with weekend warriors that race up and down the roads without any regard to safety or other people. Law is too few and too far away to be of any help, so some become vigilant to, in their minds, "fix" the problem. Hundreds of miles of forest roads out there and maybe 4 guys to patrol it all makes for a free for all. It is sad that somebody thought the need to resort to mining the road with spikes. Total disregard for life as that could certainly cause severe injury and possibly death. Both are equally dangerous.....the idiots flying down forest roads and the idiot that mined the road with spikes to stop them.

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around, and we have a few of all of them in northern Az. every summer. Dennis

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At my dad's house, he had a problem with people cutting through the corner of his yard and tearing it up. He lives in a corner and the teenagers that are going way too fast for a neighborhood run right through it rain or shine. Despite numerous calls to the police he finally resulted to his own methods. He is retired army and a Vietnam vet. He proceeded to make his own (large) caltrops to throw in his tall grass. For 2 straight weeks he was catching a different car every other day or so changing a flat on the side of the road by his house. No one cuts through his yard anymore.....

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At my dad's house, he had a problem with people cutting through the corner of his yard and tearing it up. He lives in a corner and the teenagers that are going way too fast for a neighborhood run right through it rain or shine. Despite numerous calls to the police he finally resulted to his own methods. He is retired army and a Vietnam vet. He proceeded to make his own (large) caltrops to throw in his tall grass. For 2 straight weeks he was catching a different car every other day or so changing a flat on the side of the road by his house. No one cuts through his yard anymore.....

I assume you have a lot of respect for your dad

I feel like so many of the kids in my school acct like utter idiots, say they are all that and never hold anything up

is that a new thing for teenagers

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have more respect for that man than any other person on earth. I've heard his horror story's from the war and it's nothing I could ever imagine.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hah, I had a similar problem with someone taking out my mailbox on the corner so I mounted it on a pvc pipe sunk 3ft and filled with rebar and concrete... only had to replace once and never happened again..

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Earth first then we log the other planets is my bumper sticker!
Lets see now....the loggers put in the roads...the loggers maintain the roads...the loggers replace every tree they cut down with three trees....so what is wrong with logging?..there are more trees in the USA than there were when we got here..Art

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

We've got a few jerks like that around here. Precious grass is more important than people......

I can't wait to hear about one of them falling onto one of their own booby traps, but sadly it will probably be a little kid.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I assume you have a lot of respect for your dad I feel like so many of the kids in my school acct like utter idiots, say they are all that and never hold anything up is that a new thing for teenagers
Nope, teenagers have been stupid since before even us old guys were teens!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live and work in this part of Az. I would bet that the person responsible for this was camped right there and doesn't like ohv's. The area is plagued with weekend warriors that race up and down the roads without any regard to safety or other people. Law is too few and too far away to be of any help, so some become vigilant to, in their minds, "fix" the problem. Hundreds of miles of forest roads out there and maybe 4 guys to patrol it all makes for a free for all. It is sad that somebody thought the need to resort to mining the road with spikes. Total disregard for life as that could certainly cause severe injury and possibly death. Both are equally dangerous.....the idiots flying down forest roads and the idiot that mined the road with spikes to stop them.

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around, and we have a few of all of them in northern Az. every summer. Dennis

You need to understand how we got to this point and why so many people just don't care anymore. Too many areas have been closed due to crap science and outright lies that people just don't care anymore as they know that no matter what they do, they get screwed in the end. It doesn't matter that REAL science says the exact opposite of what is portrayed in court, the ecofreaks lie their butts off to win and everybody believes them.

Hell, several of the eco freak orgs. even argued that they have a First Amendment right to lie as long as it achieves their agenda.

Read all about it: Chilton Ranch Lawsuit

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

And this IS NOT an "isolated incicent". Read through the anger and you'll see that this same tactic has been employed in other areas over the years. This WILL NOT end well for them this time.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?83822-Careful-in-Happy-Jack-area/page2

Kinda funny now that REAL science is winning through the crap in many areas and now this is starting up again. We now have Go Pros and trail cams. We'll get them and forever destroy the "environmental movement".

Last edited:

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
The ones that do this just don't think for a minute the unintended consequences of what could happen. There are so many possibilities of tragic situations. Anyone caught doing this should be cited with attempted murder.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Armchair, I have to disagree with you, I do think they know the unintended consequences, I just think they don't care. There are a lot of evil people in the world that get their jollies disrupting life in any fashion they can. Dig a hole, get the gold out and stick one of these people in it. Oh, don't forget to fill in your holes when you're done, you know how the authorities get upset when you don't fill in your holes.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread