Fred Hurt leaves Gold Rush

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred Hurt leaves 'Gold Rush'

From his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DakotaFred

Why we are not on "Gold Rush" this fall........this may be news to many.....
.I am not rich.....I am a working class guy like most of you. After spending more for four years straight than I made, there was no way for me to continue.
But the main reason is simple......and I quote...."If you want a Miner, call me.......if you want an Actor, pay me like one."
Dustin and I were "hard to work with". Interpretation ?......we did not go along with every cocamainy idea the film people dreamed up......
Corporate beancounters also wanted to consolidate their operation after a disastrous South American season. They also layed out mega millions to buy the company filming Gold Rush.
Sssssooo......as we were the 'Red Headed Stepchild', we were on our own.......
Hand me lemons.....I'll make lemonade.....
Freddie

---------
When someone asked about participants getting $22,000 per episode, Fred said maybe others.

5 members of my crew got $0 , only their share of gold produced. We were not compensated for any of our operating expenses as the Others were. My compensation per episode was a joke....less than a third of the Others. Bottom line.....I'm entertaining millions of people using my own resources ......and Discovery is pocketing all the profit....

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm sorry to see Fred go. He and his operation were the closest thing to "Reality" that was on the show. Any mining operation that had as much drama as Todd the Toads did wouldn't be staying in business very long.

Discovery needs to dump Todd and do a real show with real miners that actually know what the heck they're doing. Rags to Riches? HA!!!! We all know that is NOT the way it works in this business!!! Can we sue Discovery for false advertising? That show has always been the furthest thing from reality that is possible......

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt that the we have seen the last of Fred. He may not have anything to do with RAW Productions but who's to say some other production company may pick him and his son up. Again these production company's have to market themselves and their show to the networks. Going to be interesting who's left standing come October.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt that the we have seen the last of Fred. He may not have anything to do with RAW Productions but who's to say some other production company may pick him and his son up. Again these production company's have to market themselves and their show to the networks. Going to be interesting who's left standing come October.
Free and Dustin are being videoed now, right now, for a documentary film.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fred engineered and fabbed every piece of recovery equipment in every season except some of the Kid Parkers Gpa leftovers. He was/is the brains of it all . All else bs. Would gladly follow his exploits --toad LL NO-John

Well, sorta. Fred used a gold cube quite a bit for his finish processing. The MSI gear Parker used is designed and manufactured by Freddy Dodge here in Denver area.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it yer!

How am I gonna find up what was on top of that mountain now?!?!?
Best of luck big boot!

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion, Fred & Dustin should team up, get a small crew, and work with those who produce the "Yukon Gold" show. I find that this show is more interesting and holds more truth / reality in its episodes than anything the Gold Rush has produced. Again, just an opinion.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion, Fred & Dusting should team up, get a small crew, and work with those who produce the "Yukon Gold" show. I find that this show is more interesting and holds more truth / reality in its episodes than anything the Gold Rush has produced. Again, just an opinion.

Yep the only gold show (Yukon Gold) that's worth watching. I watch Gold Rush to have a laugh each week, I am sure this next season will not be any better.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They will never fire Todd because just like a train wreck, no one can pass without gawking. Plain and simple, he sells ratings and THAT is the only thing DC is concerned about. DC (and all other TV channels) are in the business of entertaining the masses with the TV, they could care less about mining unless people want to watch it on TV
Gold Rush is not a dramatic show about mining
It is a mining themed show about drama.
Fred is not an actor and he is not dramatic...he is a miner and that is why he is off the show

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
They will never fire Todd because just like a train wreck, no one can pass without gawking. Plain and simple, he sells ratings and THAT is the only thing DC is concerned about. DC (and all other TV channels) are in the business of entertaining the masses with the TV, they could care less about mining unless people want to watch it on TV Gold Rush is not a dramatic show about mining It is a mining themed show about drama. Fred is not an actor and he is not dramatic...he is a miner and that is why he is off the show

Well said.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they all Quit would anyone really miss them. We could then watch goldrush reruns for the next. Twenty years. And really wouldn"t miss anything. Like gold fever reruns.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they all Quit would anyone really miss them. We could then watch
goldrush reruns for the next. Twenty years. And really wouldn"t miss anything. Like gold fever reruns.

I would miss them. Yes, I could do without Todd, but the rest
of his crew could stay on

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the kid Parker Schnabel and his grandpa John. Anyone know if John is still kicking and doing alright?

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would miss them. Yes, I could do without Todd, but the rest of his crew could stay on
I agree, I like Dave Turin (however you spell his name). Todd however could fall off the face of the earth and I wouldn't even notice. It's a shame that he gets paid to be a moron...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the kid Parker Schnabel and his grandpa John. Anyone know if John is still kicking and doing alright?
Saw a current pic of him on Facebook the other day so he is up and getting around :)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I for one am glad to hear that "Grandpa John" is still around! Though I've never met him, I like that guy! I'd love a chance to meet him in person and hear of his mining adventures over the years. Maybe Discovery should consider doing a special segment just about his history. I'm sure I'm not hte only one that would be interested in watching it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I for one am glad to hear that "Grandpa John" is still around! Though I've never met him, I like that guy! I'd love a chance to meet him in person and hear of his mining adventures over the years. Maybe Discovery should consider doing a special segment just about his history. I'm sure I'm not hte only one that would be interested in watching it.
I second that! Great idea :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread