porter9999

Jul 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 w/ Crossfire, White's Classic II

Looking to upgrade (HINT, HINT)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all,

New to the forums and relatively new to prospecting. Been panning for a few years with only a few small nuggets to my name and lots of Snake River Flour. I'm looking for opportunities to get out there and really hit it hard. I was recently up in Grangeville, ID last week for about 9 days and could not find one prospector out on the rivers. I was on the Clearwater and the South Fork, Salmon, Little Salmon and other small waterways. No one around, not a soul. I did run across this hippie raft guide who said the E PA was screwing with the dredgers, but c'mon, no mining to be found for 9 days?
I guess I have a few things to figure out. Maybe I was in all the wrong places at all the wrong times? I know I was on legal prospecting land and I had a nice lengthy chat with IDWR, who informed me of my limitations on each area. Perhaps some of you guys with more time under your belt can let me in on the secret?
Anyway, I have a decent sluice w/ recirc setup and would like to get out to try my hand a prospecting some other areas. Other than the LF2000 (pain in the @$$) is there a good resource for finding claims, prospecting locations and the like? Does anyone here have some property they would let a guy come work or is anyone looking for an extra set of hands?

Thanks ahead of time for the feedback, pearls of wisdom and general witticisms!

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing that helps alot is to post your location...town, etc. That way members who are near you will respond.
Jim

OP
OP
porter9999

porter9999

Jul 29, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim. I am living in Buhl, ID. We don't have much for mining near me. Some copper exploration on the NV border, but not so much for gold, especially placer. I love to travel around the state looking at old mines, historical sites, etc. so location for me is not as important as opportunity! How is prospecting in BF/Pokee?

Hoser John....uummm...Thanks? Ha, That cracked me up! I will remember that in case I actually want to find gold next time. Thanks!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might try Napias Creek up by Salmon. It drains the old Leesburg Basin gold mining area. To find coarser gold than you're getting from the Snake, you need to head north into the Idaho Batholith country. That area has many granite intrusives, and is responsible for most Idaho gold production.
Jim

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was recently up in Grangeville, ID last week
You missed finding the gold & me by <-> that much. Actually 50 miles further West would have put you closer to the source. No doubt, if you were on the Clearwater and the South Fork, you were headed in the right direction. Perhaps next time on your travels up here we can connect. gold6-1214 3 grams (7).JPG

OP
OP
porter9999

porter9999

Jul 29, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,
I was in Idaho county, and others, for 9 days. Did about 2 penny weight in fine (<50) gold off the big water. I know of several areas of interest near Orofino and Kamiah, but they all seem to be leased to California investors for hunting...try to get in touch with them and you get nowhere. Thanks for the info about Napias Creek. I will certainly do some research into the area.
Cheers

OP
OP
porter9999

porter9999

Jul 29, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
50 miles west, eh? I did the best so far near slate creek on 95. There are some awesome quarts veins sticking right out if the ground for a couple miles along the highway...I'm sure you know the area. I'm told those mine are loaded, but I was just down on the water, since all that land is private.
So where are you? I come up several times a year. Early elk hunt, October whitetail, and late elk/whitetail. Matter of fact we (my folks ) just got a cow elk last week on an early depredation hunt in Grangeville.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions