Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings From a Lost Member,
Just about the time I think I'm settled into Texas someone reminds me to not go out the front door without first looking for several different types of Vipers. I was looking for an apartment closer to work and was reading the reviews of one that is only 6 miles from work with one of the complaints being that there are too many poisinous snakes that rest on the cement in the shade of the door alcove. Sigh! This place is only 8 miles from Houston.
I've moved from my two bedroom apartment, after purchasing a home fell through, into a one bedroom apt so I've recently seen and touched my 2" dredge, backpacking gear as well as various prospecting components and I've promised myself that someday I will use all of these items for their proper use's!

This morning I was on the USGS Real Time Water Flow site looking at "MY RIVER" to find the reading was ~43 cfs and that it has been going down since April with no major water flow during the 'normal' melting season. My My what an event! IF one is still allowed out into the National Forests in NorCal I would think prospecting would be at its finest. So what kind of restrictions are currently in effect out of the Sacramento/Auburn areas??

To help keep my mind off of things I'd rather be doing I've been exercising, have lost a little weight and have improved my fit into some historical clothes, who knows when I need my BDU's I might just need to purchase a size medium. The exercise is keeping me healthy and the need to use my brain at work has helped my outlook on life, both being positive for me. I was at an outdoor range a few months back and enjoyed punching some holes in paper which prompted me to setup my reloading bench. Put together some 45 ACP rounds for a friend who's been under the weather evers since then and has not had a chance to try them out.

I see it is time for work so I will leave you all with my very best wishes for a pleasantly eventful prospecting season.........63bkpkr

Upvote 0
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy HP & Takoda,
Rob the folks here are friendly and many have had more than there fair share of the liquids and food you mentioned, but they are friendly. Hunting works if you can find ammunition but since I'm a .22 plinker its tough to find the stuff where it does not cost $75 a brick of 500 rds.

And Takoda, I'm keeping up with exercise so I do not expand my body configuration. The shoulder is still sore, from operation over a year ago, but the arm has not fallen off of my body and that's a good thing. I've a couple places back in NorCal I WILL go back to, like to take Hefty1 with me but I'd likely need to carry him in and out but he's a good guy to have along and he'd love it once he got over being in there. The first time he saw it he said "You Are Crazy"!

Keep on havin fun out in whatever hills you have available.................63bkpkr

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello Herb,

Glad to read your doing well and having fun in Texas!!

Been using my detector and gathered a few nuggets.

Hope to see ya when you make it back to CA!!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravelwasher, that would be part of a good trip to get together with you! I do not expect to get back for awhile but I do plan on getting back even if it is 'only' for two or three months of backpacking. Stay tuned......................63bkpkr

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Howdy HP & Takoda,
Rob the folks here are friendly and many have had more than there fair share of the liquids and food you mentioned, but they are friendly. Hunting works if you can find ammunition but since I'm a .22 plinker its tough to find the stuff where it does not cost $75 a brick of 500 rds.

And Takoda, I'm keeping up with exercise so I do not expand my body configuration. The shoulder is still sore, from operation over a year ago, but the arm has not fallen off of my body and that's a good thing. I've a couple places back in NorCal I WILL go back to, like to take Hefty1 with me but I'd likely need to carry him in and out but he's a good guy to have along and he'd love it once he got over being in there. The first time he saw it he said "You Are Crazy"!

Keep on havin fun out in whatever hills you have available.................63bkpkr

Herb..."You are Crazy" but that doesn't mean I wouldn't race you down that Mtn........back up....another story.....lol

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb I lived In The hill country for two years hiked and camped the bottoms quite often.. like a jungle in there I only saw a snake twice both times in the water.... way more bugs and Anoles than anything.....How many have you actually seen?....we would sleep right on the ground when we would pull out on some ranchers back pasture..we would wake up surrounded by raccoons and armadillos never ever worried about a snake. That was mainly on the Guadalupe the amazing thing was the amount of turtles we would see...and the bass and catfish catch was stupendous. Always amazes me the warning..."'don't go out there its so dangerous" ...yet people have lived in these places...raised children in the outlands for ever. Based on your outdoor experience I doubt you have much to worry about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravelwasher,
It is true that I can only pass along what I've been told face to face by others and having read the posted signs, I've not seen any myself.

Also true is that in NorCal I've come across my fair share of rattlesnakes and more bears than I care to recall and I've slept on the ground in the desert above Bakersfield as well as in NorCal and was never bothered by the snakes. I did wake up one morning long the NFAR to find the wrapper to my full bag of Fig Newtons with all the cookies having been eaten within inches of my ear, darn Racoons! When I get the chance I will do a little wandering in Texas just to see for myself what all the fuss is about. Years ago near Austin I saw a large number of turtles in the water below my perch on the Restaurant veranda. I suspect they were used to being fed by the patrons..................63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1,
As you know I pretty much enjoy being crazy and I hope I always will be as some of the adventures are worth repeating, like working a highbanker with you!
That yellow stuff was fun to look at.

Neither one of us would be racing down or up that mountain unless gravity got control of us and then it would only be for going down way faster than I ever want to go down those mountains! It is ok for hiking out to take a couple of days as creek water is somewhat available for awhile and then one simple switchback on the trail and the water is gone. Good hearing from ya!................63bkpkr/Herb

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Long Last....Had not been to the NF in a few weeks, made it for a half day Sunday. Upriver from Iowa Hill Bridge....Water levels are Low...I think lower than this time last year

CAM00384.jpg

CAM00386.jpg

CAM00392.jpg

CAM00394.jpg

CAM00395.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best way to lose weight, Herb, is put that 200 pound pack back on and get out there again! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread