Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings From a Lost Member,
Just about the time I think I'm settled into Texas someone reminds me to not go out the front door without first looking for several different types of Vipers. I was looking for an apartment closer to work and was reading the reviews of one that is only 6 miles from work with one of the complaints being that there are too many poisinous snakes that rest on the cement in the shade of the door alcove. Sigh! This place is only 8 miles from Houston.
I've moved from my two bedroom apartment, after purchasing a home fell through, into a one bedroom apt so I've recently seen and touched my 2" dredge, backpacking gear as well as various prospecting components and I've promised myself that someday I will use all of these items for their proper use's!

This morning I was on the USGS Real Time Water Flow site looking at "MY RIVER" to find the reading was ~43 cfs and that it has been going down since April with no major water flow during the 'normal' melting season. My My what an event! IF one is still allowed out into the National Forests in NorCal I would think prospecting would be at its finest. So what kind of restrictions are currently in effect out of the Sacramento/Auburn areas??

To help keep my mind off of things I'd rather be doing I've been exercising, have lost a little weight and have improved my fit into some historical clothes, who knows when I need my BDU's I might just need to purchase a size medium. The exercise is keeping me healthy and the need to use my brain at work has helped my outlook on life, both being positive for me. I was at an outdoor range a few months back and enjoyed punching some holes in paper which prompted me to setup my reloading bench. Put together some 45 ACP rounds for a friend who's been under the weather evers since then and has not had a chance to try them out.

I see it is time for work so I will leave you all with my very best wishes for a pleasantly eventful prospecting season.........63bkpkr

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx much for email Herb,truly hope you get some time soon to get out and hit the Plano to quench that gold fever also. Kudos -take care in Tejas and don't play with Mr. No Shoulders as not friendly like the ones you know so well out here. Been to tejas once and man alive them snakes have NO patience and pushy like nothing I ever seen-John

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from 63bkpkr ! I am hedding up 80 this weekend, making a bit of a loop, up to Reno, west to Gray Eagle, Ca, then back to Truckee ! Will stop by the river & take some pic's on my way, will get at least 1 day of prospectin in..... Have not been to the NF for a month or two, wonder if there will be enough flow to set-up the fluid bed

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The replies are great! John I suspect the snakes are so pushy as there are so many of them trying to eat the same thing so they've kinda turned into "New York" attitude snakes. No offense to New Yorkers its just with all those people pushing and shoving all the time I'd get a bit miffed myself.

Al, sounds like a great ride! Enough Flow - that is indeed the question I've rafted it at ~72 CFS and there was a lot of portaging with the only forceful current being at crevices that tried to empty the contents of the raft to the bottom of the river. Love to see some recent pictures!!

Hey Oakview, my life has been anything but calm since the day I started driving out here and once here it has not been calm either. Learning a new company with all sorts of procedures while attempting to figure out what they are doing, learning where the "stuff" I need to live on is at both in boxes and at which stores and where are the stores (Costco is 43 miles away each direction) so I've had to break a few habits. The work is generally going well though the Company move to a more metropolitan area sure has some feathers ruffled with some of the best operators refusing to commute to the new plant site.
With the high percentage of the "No Shoulders" folks that John mentioned I am not inclined to go out in the local country side for walks and I've not ventured farther than Galveston or Houston since my arrival, the beaches on Galveston have a warning sign posted about poisinous snakes being there (seems the sea side area has a lot of rats and mice) so I've mostly stayed on the highway with my two wheeled red sports car. Going to work, purchasing food, attending church and trying to sleep have been my main interests since my arrival here save for one weekend when I went to several stores one of which carried a fine selection of metal military ammo cans of all types and sizes, even bought two.

And now, back to work...............63bkpkr

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was just askin about ya on another thread, seems you and I have something in common. You know that story. good to hear from you
Just got out of the river this morning, still setting up and getting it all lined up, bedrock at the top of picture is I think where ya found the snuffer bottle, to the left and a little more up river is where I was panning with Yuba when ya took the picture. Here is your fix

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 112

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
Hey 63bkpkr! Sounds like things are going well for you so far. I grew up in the area, and if you can survive August down there, you're good to go. :)
Haven't been out in a few months but all this talk of low water has me putting it on my calendar.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty river, Thanks cmorau. Spots like that always look familiar to me and I love looking at them, better yet playing around in it!!

So goldchaser 3 where are you living now? Since August is with us now, all I can say is that you and a hundred other folks have told me the same thing only so far it has been cool here at least as compared to normal. Thanks for the howdy..................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SNAKES ON THE BEACH HOLY :censored: drizzle drazlle drozzel drone time for this kalif ol'fart to go home Mr Wizard. NOT for me, wow,it was bad back in the 60s but now that's just plain insanity-John

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes John the venemous snake population here is very high and they are everywhere.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's good to hear your doing good Herb. Your time in the mountains of the northwest will come again. Hopefully soon if it fit you wants and needs.

Up here in the very northwest corner of California we've had a few rattlers show up at work along the Smith River. The largest this year was a 36 incher (minus the head).
Pretty big snake for here in the coastal area.

All the best to you,
Mike

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb I think those Texans would be right proud if you was to take a box of snake shot and clean up those beaches........

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greetings From a Lost Member,

Just about the time I think I'm settled into Texas someone reminds me to not go out the front door without first looking for several different types of Vipers.

Herb I promise I was not outside your front door. AzViper

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb!!

Great to see you posting again. I'm still finding nuggets and flake gold. I've corralled 14 nuggets so far this season, all with my little 705, and I hope to get some more before my time in the Rockies runs out.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldenmojo,
The only way I would do that would be to reload my own as the standard stuff is kinda weak. I found out with my .44 what a real snake shot load could do when it goes 'bang' instead of 'pop', big difference in results, though all close range shooting so watch you toes.

Don't know how well the beach folks would take to my getting rid of the snakes along the shores, the country is in a strange mood about firarms these days.
Then the snakes do take care of a bunch of bugs, rats, mice and such so they are doing a good job but man there are a lot of them!................63bkpkr

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear from you Herb, my brother's company relocated to Texas last year(from Sacramento) and he didn't have much choice if he wanted to keep his job but to go along with it. Being used to the mountains the adjustment is taking him a while but the people sure are nice, the beer, whisky and BBQ is great plus its a fine state to take up hunting. I wish you well.....Rob

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Protip:

They taste just like chicken. Rattlesnake fajitas ftw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions