First Time Campin on the River

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Going to the north fork american again this friday and saturday to do some prospecting, only difference with this time is I'll be camping there through the night. I picked up a tent, sleeping bag, water purifier, folding stove w/ fuel, bio soap, rope, clips, multi-purpose tool, chair, fanny pack lol, waterproof phone case, lighters, food, lantern/flashlight, even some camping tp...all of this in addition to my prospecting tools.

It would be great if some of you experienced folks could give your input..

Am I missing anything?
Anything I dont need?

Upvote 0

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pack mule. That sounds like a lot of stuff to be packing in. But then again, whatever it takes to get the gold. good luck.

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah it may require a couple of trips..its about a mile hike.
And I did consider a pistol..not sure if I want to baby sit the thing the whole time or not.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
make sure you tell someone exactly where you will be and when you will be back
bug spray
Ditch the chair and replace it with sleeping pad
first aid kit
map/cpmpass/gps

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep it simple.. One night.. No need for a tent unless you rather not be bothered by bugs. No real need for a lantern.. Flashlight headlamps should do it.. As for ropes and clips and other Micilanious gear I doubt it will be of real use. I would keep it simple. First aid kit is a good thing to get in the habit of carrying. as far as a Gun,, No need.. Keep an eye out for Rattlers. I suspect I have a pretty good idea where you will be.. Anyway you can also re purpose your Prospecting tools.. Gold pan for plate.. Often I use my classifier to get the rocks out of my sleeping area. Honestly I would keep my pack as simple as possible. Anyway.. Friday evening sometime I will be floating downriver maybe I might run into you.. Anyway I think the weekend is supposed to be hot so be sure to keep up on your fluids.. Happy hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked up a tent, sleeping bag, water purifier, folding stove w/ fuel, bio soap,
rope, clips, multi-purpose tool, chair, fanny pack lol, waterproof phone case, lighters,
food, lantern/flashlight, even some camping tp...

Hopefully a lightweight tent and bag. A single burner propane stove
is generally good enough for a one-night bivouac, and the fanny pack
will hold all the ancillary stuff like flashlight, med kit, etc.

If you don't smoke, then I'd take one of those lighters and double
ziplock bag it and put it with the gear that will always be with you.

A decent headlamp beats a flashlight/lantern IMO. Don't buy a
cheapie; Fenix and a couple others make very good headlamps,
but be sure to bring at least 2 extra batteries for it. I took an
extra fresh battery and slipped it into a loop on the back of the
headband, and then taped it snug with some electrical tape. This
way I've always got a fresh battery close at hand.

Bring a good solid knife with you. A decent hunting knife is an
invaluable tool in survival situations.

Look over your chosen camp site before you even begin to set
up the tent. Look for snake holes or game trails that are close
by so you don't get a surprise at 0300 from a local bear coming
down for a drink.

Brush your teeth to remove all food smell before you go to bed,
and don't bring ANY FOOD into the tent with you; in fact, it's
best to keep your cooking/eating area and food about 50 yds.
from where you're sleeping. It's not being paranoid..just good
sense.

Most important...have fun!

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, always take ALL of your food a little ways from your camp at night....I have hung up in trees, buried in rocks / boulders. Have never had an issue.........
Don't know that this'd actually work, but I also keep a decent sized rock just outside my tent, and my shovel / pick handy....Figure that way if I ever did wake up in middle of night with a critter in camp I could start banging and making a bunch of noise... Thankfully, that's never come up yet.
Other than that, think "Light" ! I leave my single burner & just bring a grill top....get a bed of coals going, make a stand/oven w/ some rocks and your good to go....
Nothing beats experience ! You'll be amazed at what you think is essential now, and then never use....

Oh, almost forgot, for me, Most Important is my Coffee Kit....plastic funnel, coffee filter, grounds and some sugar....

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure about others here, but I camp in vast National Forests and live in one as well. I don't know where you're camping but we have bears and large cats here.

I wouldn't consider going out there WITHOUT a GUN.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
When returning keep every thing together. Make notes of what you needed or need to replace ie: bug spray is almost out. There is nothing more frustrating than needing something you needed last time.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Pans, tools,... Bottle of bacardi 151. Theres your insect repellant, warmth, bedding, and fire starter!

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I'm sure there are campfire restrictions out there right now...ya don't want to get one of those tickets...also a light lawn chair is a must...after sitting on those hard rocks all day. Sure is nice for the sore butt and back.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHR,
I think it was MadMarshall that posted trail cam pictures of bears and a mountain lion on the NFAR so there are "animals" there that can take down a man real easy. I've hiked the NFAR for 50 years and have never seen or had problems with any of the cats in there BUT I've had plenty of trouble with bears!

A good hiking staff helps to keep ones balance and if it is long enough it can be used to lift the rattle snakes out of your way, mine is a touch over 6 feet long and I use it a lot as my third leg both on the trail, the river and exploring off trail.

The water is really low right now so treating or pumping(filtering) your water will be mandatory IF you want to enjoy the trip. Drink lots of water all day long when in there! An electrolyte loaded drink mix might be of use but for one day you should be ok.

A hat that covers your head and ears is important.

A first aid kit with snake bite kit is a good thing to have. My first aid kit consists of lots of Band-Aids, a small roll of gauze tape, partial tube of medical ointment, salt tablets, small mirror(a CD or DVD will do), a butane lighter(and not for smoking) and the snake bite kit(know how to use it before you need it). Insect repellent, sun protection and a few aspirin are at times useful.

If you are going to cook or heat anything you will need the stove as having a camp fire in there now is just way to dangerous of a thing to do!

A foam pad between you and the ground is a good insulator and it stops the ground water from getting your backside wet during the night and it cushions you from the hard ground/gravel/rocks/sticks.

Food Safety/Your Safety depends on being wise about what you bring(should not be very smelly) and it needs to be protected from the animals so that you do not have to protect yourself from them when they are trying to get your food OR your fruit flavored Chap-Stick. Do Not bring any food into your tent or have any flavored chap-stick or candy, gum, etc., the animals smell that stuff from a long distance. Your food might be safe for one night hanging from a rope over a limb as long as the rope is not close to the tree trunk and as long as the support limb you've thrown the rope over will not support the weight of a cub or full size bear.

As I said, I've backpacked the NFAR for 50 years and the bears have been the only thing that has bothered me and I do mean Bothered Me! I've lost countless food bags/stashes, camp gear, cook pots and have had some sleepless nights because of them. The bears only want the food and have learned that the scent of humans means free food. They do not want to be around humans however some have learned to not fear humans and that is a bad situation! The noise from my .454 Casull usually sends them out of camp! I've never shot a bear and do not want to however there have been three times that it came very close to either it or me, food related encounters and accidental meetings on the trail are my usual meet up times with them.

The first night in a T-Bone Steak and a Baked Potato taste mighty good! I carry a lot of comfort items with me including a 'camp chair'(a sit on pad with straps from the back to the seat) and of course some toys but then I usually go in for two weeks and that is why my starting packs are about 85 lbs.

Have a great trip and I'd appreciate a few photos of the river..................63bkpkr

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once you do this a few times you will tune your pack to something very different than it is now. You can save a LOT of weight with some simple changes.

I dont take a metal can full of bug spray, I spray a wash cloth and put that in a ziplock. If you take care to keep the funk washed off you the bugs will leave you alone mostly. Also, start popping b-12 caps and the bugs will run from your BO. Most skeeters will go to bed a hour after dark and they are weak fliers so camp where you find a breeze.

I dont use a tent unless it's raining, too heavy. I take a plastic tarp and use it as a ground cloth. If there is morning dew I will fold it over me.

Dont take an arctic bag and rain gear if your a camping in California in August...(think things out)

Food is heavy, avoid any wet food. Take MRE's if you are only going overnight. Each one only weighs a pound or less but they have 2500 calories. Remove all the packaging first. If you are only a mile or three from the truck, leave your last meal in it instead of carrying it all the way in and back out. Before you hike out, eat the rest of your food. It is easier to carry in your belly.

Leave the stove and instead take food that you dont need to cook.

Take a large heavy plastic bag and water purification tablets in case your pump fails

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread