Looking to prospect in New Mexico and possibly Arizona in October.

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a gpaa member and have done ok in Arizona but never prospected in New Mexico. Have been trying to contact gpaa officials in New Mexico to get some intel on there better claims but no response. So I've been scouting out other prospecting clubs of New Mexico. Same freaking thing!!! Nobody will respond to emails etc..it's not as if I'm asking for GPS coordinates to the best spot anyone's ever been. Maybe I just drive a couple hundred extra miles to go to Arizona. At least I know area. Anybody know of a New Mexico prospecting club that would charge less than $100 membership fee. Or someone who owns a great claim that'll allow me to prospect for 4 days for $100. Preferably New Mexico but Arizona is ok to. Only been to a couple of gpaa claims in Arizona and they're in Phoenix area. Was hoping not to have to drive that far west

Upvote 0

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know they got one in oro grande.... Ive done alright out there. If your willing to drive to phoenix why not think of silverton CO? I believe GPAA has something around the area. Good luck

OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We'll be going in October, I figured weather would be a little more forgiving in New Mexico & Arizona. Thanks for the input. Is a pretty cold in Silverton co in October?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We'll be going in October, I figured weather would be a little more forgiving in New Mexico & Arizona. Thanks for the input. Is a pretty cold in Silverton co in October?
Silverton 9300' elevation and it is in a valley. Cold and likely snow at that time of year. Oro Grande desert area but windy and cool to cold. Other likely NM areas higher elevation but weather likely tolerable except in NE corner and maybe Santa Fe area. Az beginning of best part of year temp. wise for the deserts. Highs in 70's and warmer. Higher elevations still tolerable for the most part.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
U got any suggestions for best sluice box and drywashers. I have a jobe 36" sluice but I find it difficult to find optimum water flow. Either creek runs to slow or it's too deep. Was thinking of buying 24" sluice to help with low water flow issues. Your thoughts? I know u can dam area to help flow but I'm not sure I like the whole raised riffle idea. Looked at the angus maverick, but it looks cheap and there are mixed reviews on it. I like the idea of not classifying as much however. The bazooka looked idea except u can't get any nuggets larger than 3/8". No classifying required though! I have a vibrio lite pony gold buddy drywasher that I've found color with. Was prospecting with it alone for 1st time and asked advice by another prospector. He had me change the counter weight to a lighter one and slightly bent the blades of the fan and told me to run it at about half throttle with bottom tray almost level. Was this a good or bad idea?

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
U got any suggestions for best sluice box and drywashers. I have a jobe 36" sluice but I find it difficult to find optimum water flow. Either creek runs to slow or it's too deep. Was thinking of buying 24" sluice to help with low water flow issues. Your thoughts? I know u can dam area to help flow but I'm not sure I like the whole raised riffle idea. Looked at the angus maverick, but it looks cheap and there are mixed reviews on it. I like the idea of not classifying as much however. The bazooka looked idea except u can't get any nuggets larger than 3/8". No classifying required though! I have a vibrio lite pony gold buddy drywasher that I've found color with. Was prospecting with it alone for 1st time and asked advice by another prospector. He had me change the counter weight to a lighter one and slightly bent the blades of the fan and told me to run it at about half throttle with bottom tray almost level. Was this a good or bad idea?

Setting up your drywasher will depend a great deal on the material you are running and how much if any you classify. In AZ a stream sluice is almost useless unless set up as a recirc unit. A lot more work than drywashing. Most folks do not use a large enough pump or reservoirs for their recirc units.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tucson has a prospecting club "Desert Gold Diggers" with numerous claims and an inexpensive fee. However some of the claims are in a drug and alien smuggling corridor (close to Arivaca) so I would not advise camping of any type and advise going with a group if you go at all. Too bad. I began prospecting alone in that area over 40 years ago and saw numerous aliens then but now many may be armed. The other claims are probably ok even for a loner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I google earthed Orogrande but was surprised by the landscape. I was expecting mountains or hills to say the least. South of Orogrande there were some nice sized hills, but its pretty close to Mexican border. I'll do a little more research. I appreciate your input. Thank you

OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy wants to go to Colorado Springs to do some prospecting. When he went on vacation there earlier in the year he stopped at a KFC and panned the creek behind it. He brought back what just looks like blonde sand to me. Maybe a little copper tone to it but I'm not convinced its gold. I'd rather follow your suggestion and go to Silverton in the spring. Looks like I'll be farting around in the creek behind the local KFC in Colorado Springs for a little while before we get to Silverton. Lol. Why couldn't it at least been behind a McDonalds? Atleast they have the Golden Arches

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well hound you're in luck. My partner Chris will be out from Houston in October and we'll be hitting Kentucky Camp. Send me a PM with what time frame you're looking at and if it works with our plans you are more than welcome to come play with us. We will be out there for 7-10 days. A recirc system is a must as there's to high a clay content for dry washing. If you've got a pump, I've got a tank you can use. Water is fairly close at K.C. and we use a game cart to haul it to the dig site. I have plenty of water barrels as well. Kentucky Camp is about 45 minutes south of Tucson. It can be a little cool at night but the days are great for diggin and running materials.

There are also some GPAA claims in the area, but I've always done better at Kentucky Camp.

Quite a few of the Arizona members have been there and can tell you how nice it is.

Jeff

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Well hound you're in luck. My partner Chris will be out from Houston in October and we'll be hitting Kentucky Camp. Send me a PM with what time frame you're looking at and if it works with our plans you are more than welcome to come play with us. We will be out there for 7-10 days. A recirc system is a must as there's to high a clay content for dry washing. If you've got a pump, I've got a tank you can use. Water is fairly close at K.C. and we use a game cart to haul it to the dig site. I have plenty of water barrels as well. Kentucky Camp is about 45 minutes south of Tucson. It can be a little cool at night but the days are great for diggin and running materials.

There are also some GPAA claims in the area, but I've always done better at Kentucky Camp.

Quite a few of the Arizona members have been there and can tell you how nice it is.

Jeff

I didn't know you could prospect at Kentucky Camp. Figured that area would be off limits since its a historic camp. I know the caretaker was prospecting when I was there. I'm guessing its off limits to claims?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be correct JeromeAz.

You can't work inside the fence that goes around the camp but you can work the areas outside the fence. Because it's closed to mineral entry you can NOT file a claim. There's a large area that's mostly north of Kentucky camp that is closed to mineral entry. Outside that area there are a lot of claims. Some for clubs like Tucson Gold Diggers, GPAA as well as many private ones. The GPAA ones are listed in the latest claims guide as the "East Pima Group". If you'd like to see the actual extent of the closed area let me know and I can e-mail you a map of it.

Most of the caretakers at Kentucky Camp are very nice folk, but as in all things there are exceptions to the rule. One caretaker who shall remain un-named actually put a lock on the gate that goes to the area where most people go to dig. After talking to the BLM/Forest Service folks I don't think he will be asked to return next summer. As that trail is part of the Arizona Trail, locking that gate is a MAJOR no-no!!! Same individual gave one of my friends a hard time while he was out there. Yet more reason for his dismissal.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
That would be correct JeromeAz.

You can't work inside the fence that goes around the camp but you can work the areas outside the fence. Because it's closed to mineral entry you can NOT file a claim. There's a large area that's mostly north of Kentucky camp that is closed to mineral entry. Outside that area there are a lot of claims. Some for clubs like Tucson Gold Diggers, GPAA as well as many private ones. The GPAA ones are listed in the latest claims guide as the "East Pima Group". If you'd like to see the actual extent of the closed area let me know and I can e-mail you a map of it.

Most of the caretakers at Kentucky Camp are very nice folk, but as in all things there are exceptions to the rule. One caretaker who shall remain un-named actually put a lock on the gate that goes to the area where most people go to dig. After talking to the BLM/Forest Service folks I don't think he will be asked to return next summer. As that trail is part of the Arizona Trail, locking that gate is a MAJOR no-no!!! Same individual gave one of my friends a hard time while he was out there. Yet more reason for his dismissal.

Yeah I didn't think that area was open. I like that area but never did any prospecting there. Last time I was there they had an opening for a caretaker, thought about it but never did. Would be nice to live there and do some prospecting right there. I usually go by Greaterville, around Granite Mountain but I will take that map. I'll send my email. Thanks!

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hound,I'm a misplaced Texan living in the Wickenburg area.Member of Weaver Mining Dist.Pick n Rock and have unlimited access to 12 private claims.If you get this far West let me know.
Claims are San Domingo wash area,Scenic Loop rd/Box Canyon,Antelope Creek and Rich Hill.Take care/good huntin.Tom

OP
OP
G

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool. Last time I was in Arizona I went to a claim called dumb luck near morristown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread