Influenced Thread

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I was reading up on the thread by SOHR and wanted an answer to a question. I have never done this but I'm curious if you can or not. Is it possible to hike to the river and camp anywhere for a night? I have seen signs at some places that you can't camp for the night on the river. I believe I read that some where. If you have done this before what were your experiences?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is SOHR?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SOHR is a member name here...School Of Hard Rocks

In National forest or other public you can hike and camp about anywhere you please subject to some restrictions concerning heavily used areas and fire danger etc... Private property is different story.
So H&F I guess your answer is "it depends"

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are dozens of land classifications by half a dozen agencies so confounding it is indeed as constantly changing. We need 1 rule and homogeneous application of law and NOT each and every rangers' own personal interpertation. In a fire year drought conditions. anything can be closed at any time as promulgation for the public good is the excuse-----and that fat chair in that air conditioned office is soooooooooooooooooooo comfy....sic sic sic-John

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might need an attorney who specializes in camping appropriate areas. Since this is a healthy and fun activity it has been banned by our elected officials.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read his thread figured it out...:thumbsup:Hoser is kinda right yet I have been camping on federal lands for 20 years and have never ever had an issue ....ever! Dispersed camping is legal in most Nat'l forests...if it isn't they will tell you. Those burn permit and restriction signs you pass stating no fires only stoves are in reference to dispersed camping I.E. not in an organized campground....that is why if you are in a paid campsite you can still have a fire.Sometimes it gets unjustly discouraging in these threads. I just got back from a 2500k mile trip to Yellowstone and back via Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming,Montana, and Oregon. Ample camping opportunities not in paid campgrounds...the restrictions were always clear if any..Just go to the local ranger office...ask for the regional info...on paper. Don't ask to many questions you may get confused. If we didn't have a one year old with us we would have camped in the forest s. campgrounds. We had a great time and saw an amazing amount of beautiful country. Hasn't changed much since I lived in Big Sky 12 years ago.....Just go and go often you will figure out the ins and outs.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread