Anyone seen this warning label on a classifier before?

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2672217969.jpg

Just bought these on amazon opened it up and seen this now im just curious as to why the plastic?

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
In this nanny state, every product that uses petroleum based materials in their manafacturing process, has that label.

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In this nanny state, every product that uses petroleum based materials in their manafacturing process, has that label.
Interesting just have had other brands and this was a first thanks

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a sign of the times, libertards need to protect everyone, cradle to grave.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made in China that"s why there a lable. It could have anything added to the plastic. There trying to clean up there toxic wastes.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see that warning on most other plastics -- toys, dishes; didn't see one on the trash can I bought last week.

My guess is lead in the plastic.

Of course there will be lots of lead in the classifier itself before long -- depending where you're working.

Remnar

Oct 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This part must contain a chemical that is listed on the California Proposition 65 list of chemicals. Once a chemical is listed, manufacturers have to provide a warning if the chemical is present in the item for all products sold in California. Even if the chemical is present in such a small amount that you could wear the item, eat off it and sleep on it 24 hours a day and still not be exposed enough to even have an elevated risk factor, you must either remove it or label your product.

It gets even better in that the law also allows for anyone to sue for the good of the people of the State of California. This alone has spawned a nice little industry for law firms. There are a group of "bounty Hunter" firms that do nothing but sue based on this law. They make millions each year.

This label isn't anything to do with import verses domestic made product. In my experience most imported items that contain listed chemicals are not labeled at all. The ability to sue a Chinese manufacturer is pretty much non existent.

You may well start seeing many more items with these labels as California recently listed a new plasticizer. This is the material in plastic that gives it flexibility. This new listing is on pretty much the main workhorse chemical in a vast majority of flexible items. Plasticizers use a Phthalate. This phthalate is what is causing the listing. Lead has been on the list for a long time and the bounty hunters have sued just about everyone that might have lead in their product.

If you are interested you can google "prop 65" and see for yourself what a fine piece of legislation it is. You can also see the list of chemicals. Believe it or not sawdust is one of the items on the list.

Sorry for the rant but, lets just say that I am more familiar with this topic then I would like to be.

Remnar

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's strange. The warning on mine said " careful you may to much gold".......

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't CA law also require labels on breasts before a women could breast feed? TTC

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I live in Pennsylvania. Everything causes cancer to your poor folks out there haha

I am actually waiting for someone to take this angle in a huge lawsuit claiming that because they don't live in Cali it shouldn't have affected them

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This part must contain a chemical that is listed on the California Proposition 65 list of chemicals. Once a chemical is listed, manufacturers have to provide a warning if the chemical is present in the item for all products sold in California. Even if the chemical is present in such a small amount that you could wear the item, eat off it and sleep on it 24 hours a day and still not be exposed enough to even have an elevated risk factor, you must either remove it or label your product.

It gets even better in that the law also allows for anyone to sue for the good of the people of the State of California. This alone has spawned a nice little industry for law firms. There are a group of "bounty Hunter" firms that do nothing but sue based on this law. They make millions each year.

This label isn't anything to do with import verses domestic made product. In my experience most imported items that contain listed chemicals are not labeled at all. The ability to sue a Chinese manufacturer is pretty much non existent.

You may well start seeing many more items with these labels as California recently listed a new plasticizer. This is the material in plastic that gives it flexibility. This new listing is on pretty much the main workhorse chemical in a vast majority of flexible items. Plasticizers use a Phthalate. This phthalate is what is causing the listing. Lead has been on the list for a long time and the bounty hunters have sued just about everyone that might have lead in their product.

If you are interested you can google "prop 65" and see for yourself what a fine piece of legislation it is. You can also see the list of chemicals. Believe it or not sawdust is one of the items on the list.

Sorry for the rant but, lets just say that I am more familiar with this topic then I would like to be.

Remnar
HEAR, HEAR!! And it is not just blatant toxic chemical compounds but some singular toxic elements them selves if they are in a free state or are a part of a usually non hazardous chemical. The regulators err on the side of safety and usually to absurd extremes which often scare those not very knowledgeable of actual, practical hazards when some standard is near broken or breached. I join in the rant.

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
YEP Terry they did and I got the official inspector job! I know its rough but someone has to do it!:)

That must be one hell of a commute to work and back..........or do you get to take a few inspections home with ya? :censored:

carnet56

Jan 28, 2013
laurens south carolina
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
anything that has anything to do with hunting ,fishing or anything california does not like has that label on it if you buy hunting shirts are pants it will have it just be causes it has something to do with hunting the same shirt next to it with the same matreal will not have it

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YEP Terry they did and I got the official inspector job! I know its rough but someone has to do it!:)
I'm not an ob/gyn, ma'am, but I'll take a look. TTC

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's for the same reason they banned small motorcycles for kids. They were afraid the kids would dismantle the engine and lick the crankshaft bearings.

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quite a turn out from this thread haha went from cancer warnings to politics and breasts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread