Newbie question: Proper steps to run concentrates?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Hoser John
  • 1 Post By TerryC
  • 3 Post By arizau
  • 2 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 3 Post By Goodyguy
  • 1 Post By Prospector70

Thread: Newbie question: Proper steps to run concentrates?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2014
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Newbie question: Proper steps to run concentrates?

First, I'm very green to gold prospecting, and any help would be appreciated.

I'm getting ready to run my first batch of concentrates; they are sized to about 1/4". I intend to use a Miller table as my finisher.

What steps do I need to take to get from 1/4" concentrate to using the Miller table?

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6658 times
    Miller style table is for 50-300 mesh and not huge 1/4". Dry ,classify to micron and go for it-John
    Fossil4Life and DizzyDigger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    7458 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Classify down to #20. Pan the stuff in the #20 basket. Then to #50. Pan that stuff. Run the stuff that passed through the #50 on the Miller table. TTC
    Fossil4Life likes this.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade. And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him out or cut him 'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving . I am leaving" but the fighter still remains. The Boxer Simon and Garfunkle

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Classifier screens are pretty much essential to recovering gold smaller than 20-30 mesh. Process the concentrates in separate batches according to mesh sizing. Gold is much easier to recover when it is processed with other material of approximately the same size since then it is more likely to be heavier than the other material. 20 or 30, then 50 and 100 mesh will help you maximize recovery by what ever means you use be it panning, blue bowl, miller table or what ever. Good luck.
    Fossil4Life, russau and TerryC like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Nov 2013
    West Sacramento, CA
    260 times
    Yep the easy way would be to stack classifier's one on top of the other over a 5 gallon bucket. You'll have to dump the classifiers when they get filled but this should go fast enough to keep up with the Miller table?

Jul 2014
    9 times
    Thank you all for the help! Would someone be kind enough to put together a sort of step-by-step procedure on how to go from 1/4" concentrate to finishing with a Miller table?

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5934 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    Thank you all for the help! Would someone be kind enough
    to put together a sort of step-by-step procedure on how to go from 1/4" concentrate to
    finishing with a Miller table?
    Take your material and run it through a 1/8" classifier.

Pan down what would not pass through.

Take the remaining material and run that through a 20 or 30 mesh classifier.

Pan down what doesn't go through the classifier.

Then, take and run the remaining material through a 50 or 60 mesh classifier.
    Take what passes through the 50 mesh and run it through an 80 or 100 mesh
    classifier.

Now you're classified properly. Keep each size of material separate, and run them
    separately on the miller table.

Add up the gold you get...
    Prospector70 and Fossil4Life like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    First, I'm very green to gold prospecting, and any help would be appreciated.

I'm getting ready to run my first batch of concentrates; they are sized to about 1/4". I intend to use a Miller table as my finisher.

What steps do I need to take to get from 1/4" concentrate to using the Miller table?
    Classification is the key.... the miller table will run any size classification, even the 1/4" provided all the material being run is 1/4" nothing larger and nothing smaller. Of course it would be silly to run 1/4" as it's easy to spot 1/4" nuggets during classification.

As you go down in particle size the table needs to run flatter/slower flow.

I typically separate my material into 4 classifications before running on the miller table. 8 mesh, 16 mesh, 30 mesh, everything below 30 mesh. Sometimes I get lazy and just run two classifications 1/8" to 1/16" and then anything smaller than 1/16" (Not Recommended)

The reason I start with 1/8" (8mesh) is because I run all my material through a gold cube to reduce the amount of concentrates to about 2 cups of super concentrate before I run it on the miller table. I usually wait until I have around 10 or so 5 gallon buckets full before I run it through the cube. The whole process from cube to miller table to snuffer to vial only takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Running close to the same size particles at the same time makes it easier to recover the gold due to it's greater density than any other particle it's size. Also a larger particle setting on the table will create a faster flow around it and that will wash away any tiny gold in it's path.

If you mess up you can always run the tailings again.

*Just remember classification is the key. Run as close to the same size particles together as you can. Adjust angle and flow as necessary, smaller particles require slower flow.

Go for the gold
    GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Aug 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM.

Nov 2013
    Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a Number 2 Shovel baby!
    1254 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnifier-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	1038396

If you're close to 40 you may need one of these too.

(The magnifiers, you wolves!) LoL
    Goodyguy likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links