Buckets and shovels?

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there seems to be those that use the smaller, 3.5 gallon buckets versus the standard 5 gallon buckets. What is the reason for this? Is it due to easier classification with classifiers? Easier to transport? What do you folks recommend?

And shovels: Is there a particular kind or one that is recommended for work in streams and creeks? I've seen fancy ones with modified welded steel lips around the edge of the shovel head so material doesn't fall off the edges. I've also seen people use a drain spade (long, narrow shovel head) used as well. What are your recommendations?

Thanks! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the smaller bucket as the 5 gal. Is very heavy if full and harder to hike with. I have seen people us the shovel with welded lip on the sides and those seem better than a reg shovel for holding the material.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own shovel to dig in the creek. It also works like a hoe, great for raking up a dam around the sluice. Holds just the right amount of material for feeding the sluice too. One of my favorite pieces of equipment!

You can buy one similar already made, I think it's called a "bucket digger". May need to put a longer handle on it than the one that comes with it though.

100_5120.jpg 100_5119.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
Hello fellow miner. It's all personal preference, or what works for you.

Personally... *I use both 5 and 3 1/2 gal but really like the 3 1/2 because thay are easier to lift up and hold when full especially while feeding a machine. Thay also fit under my drywasher wich makes collecting the tails for rerun easier.

Here is a selection of shovels for prospecting and mining. One thing I noticed from a collection of dozens of old miner shovels I have is that their shovels were less cupped than the modern shovels found at the hardware store (see image of old shovel). *
The first shovel in the image is the "GoldDigger prospector/river shovel" it does a good job of digging underwater in loose material, and brings up heaping loads but is not made for prying it also breaks down for packing. The blue all metal shovel is made by "The King of Spades" the handle is extra long and the blade is shallowly cupped like an old shovels, and is the strongest and best designed shovel I have ever used, *it's kind of heavy and expensive but top of the line.

20140530_095916.jpg

ForumRunner_20140817_131054.png

20140529_181324_3633.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly use 5 gallon buckets. They hold lots of pay dirt, make a great stool to sit on, are easy to come by for free and fit in my bucket chariot perfectly. Beats carrying a heavy load by hand.

bc3.jpg bc2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Went to Lowe's, Home Depot, Graingers, Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight and several paint and contractor stores. NONE carry 3.5 gallon buckets. So, I'm at a loss here... Where can I find these elusive buckets at? I haven't tried online (yet) as shipping fees will likely be astronomical.

Does anyone have any ideas where to get 3.5 gallon buckets?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Went to Lowe's, Home Depot, Graingers, Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight and several paint and contractor stores. NONE carry 3.5 gallon buckets. So, I'm at a loss here... Where can I find these elusive buckets at? I haven't tried online (yet) as shipping fees will likely be astronomical.

Does anyone have any ideas where to get 3.5 gallon buckets?
US Plastic
ULINE
Lowes
Grainger

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my smaller buckets from a deli (they receive mayonnaise and pickles in them) and also a grocery store bakery (they get frosting in them) and usually they're free.

I made the mistake of not fully cleaning out the scent of the pickle bucket and left it at the claim. A bear dragged it up the hill and chewed it to pieces.

Must have been Yogi and BooBoo out for a picanic basket.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just a thought, try a pet store. kitty litter comes in 3 1/2 gal buckets, post a wanted flyer up

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mostly use 5 gallon buckets. They hold lots of pay dirt, make a great stool to sit on, are easy to come by for free and fit in my bucket chariot perfectly. Beats carrying a heavy load by hand.

View attachment 1039622 View attachment 1039623
This is great; I picked up a hand truck for five bucks at a flea market cut the ends off axel.
18" bike wheels at a salvage yard twenty bucks, steel concrete stake (job site freebee) cut to I think two feet, drill a couple of hole at the end for Carter pins, mounted a little above the old axle giving a better fulcrum point so that i could haul my stapp winch in ¾ hike to my lower claim, not as nice as yours but works for me. I use five gallon buckets, fill mine up half way with screened material, but I can load up the bucket with extras digging tools, com-a-long, cables, gang box , still like my external frame game backpack for hauling in and out

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will any or all of these 3.5 gallon buckets mentioned be sized to fit JOBE classifiers?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone knows about this but it sure makes digging with a shovel a whole lot easier..........
Dig Rig

They sell for $6.95 + shipping from Alabama.
dig rig.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions