Geology questions

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, thanks for the good tip. I sometimes think I'm as dense as a rock. What a good idea which has never occurred to me.

Mike
REVISION::: Use the stem with the coil.... or fabricate a pvc handle. By using the coil in-hand, you are right up close and personal with the embankment and do not need to put the detector down (you are wearing the housing on your belt). Wear a plastic pan on a cord around your neck. With a robust digger in your left hand, prop the pan against the embankment using your body and scrape the suspect target into the pan until no beep on the embankment. If the beep is still in the embankment, it might be a large nugget.... drop the pan and coil and DIG LIKE HELL till the nuggie is in the poke! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What amazes me about the gravel deposited by the melting glaciers, is not just the amazing volume of material, but the layers are not level as you would expect with water deposited material.

I have worked in a Gravel pit in central Ohio, and some of the gravel/sand layers are laid at a 30 degree angle or more.

It has to do with deposits on top of ice, that melted and tipped the material......I guess. It really looks odd to see dozens of perfectly flat layers, lying at an angle.
Yes, glaciers can do funny things. And they are one of natures most powerful forces. My home state of WI has an area called the Kettle Moraine. Glaciers molded the area into small hills and valleys. The layers you are looking at were formed by the glaciers similar to the way a plow pushes dirt into the same kind of slanted layers but glaciers are often HUGE and the layers may be evident for miles. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread